[SoS Spoilers] Aradel's Lineage

wickedpissah

I posted this on reddit's /r/mistborn page, but figured I'd post it here since I hadn't seen anyone mention it.

It was bothering me who Aradel was descended from.  His name didn't show up anywhere in any previous books, but this was stated:

Aradel glanced toward Marasi, and she thought she saw something of his ancestor in him, a soldier who had died a martyr during the days of the Ascendant Warrior.

Sanderson, Brandon (2015-10-06). Shadows of Self (Mistborn) (p. 247). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

It was also stated that he didn't have a drop of noble blood in him.  So who was his progenitor? 

I was playing a game with my wife over the phone on the way home from work yesterday.  She hasn't started either of the Era 2 books, so I was trying to hype her up by giving her hints as to people's families' fates in the new era.  So she'd name a name from Era 1, and I'd say hints of how they were referenced in Era 2.  She says, "Captain Goradel."  I stopped, thought about it, and the lightbulb turned on.  That's Aradel's ancestor.

I did a google search of "Goradel Aradel" and came up with the user page for a 17th Shard poster named Aradel, whose uncle was the real-life inspiration for Goradel.

On a separate note, it seems that Aradel's been groomed by Harmony to take his place as the leader of Elendel.  We know that Brettin was killed somehow toward the end of AoL, and replaced by TenSoon.  We don't know why he was replaced, but I surmise that Harmony was already planning ahead to have Aradel placed as the leader of the new Elendel government.  He saw the opportunity for Aradel to replace Brettin, but needed time to have this happen, so he had TenSoon replace Brettin, giving them time to get Aradel in place as his successor.  "Brettin" announces his retirement shortly after being replaced by TenSoon, Aradel comes out of retirement, probably prodded by "Brettin" to take over his job, and here we are...noble power has diminished tremendously by the end of Shadows of Self, and a good man, a man whose ancestor died saving the world (literally, without his death, Marsh would never have known to remove Vin's earring), who truly has the best interests of the people at heart, is now in charge of Elendel.

Yeah, it's in the Brettin article! I don't think it's been confirmed to be an intentional thing, so perhaps Sazed was making use of a stroke of fortune?

From what I remember, it was Sazed definitely taking advantage of Brettin's death.  It was uninvolved with the events of AoL, and just happenstance.  Brandon never said why, and I think this manipulation of things is why Sazed rushed Soonie Pup into the position.

Argent, there is a WoB that Brettin was actually TenSoon at the end of AoL. He had an abrupt change of personality, so presumably he wasn't just TenSoon all along.

Must've missed it. Or forgotten about it.

His death scene always sorta bothered me in Era 1... I mean, I know it served kind of a purpose, but it seemed such an ignoble, castaway end. Knowing not only that his line lives on, but that Goradel's name is known and he is treated as a martyr, makes me feel WAY better.

Am I forgetting who Goradel is? Didn't he help free Vin from TLR prison and get brutally killed by Marsh at the end of HoA? Or am I mixing names? If so, I guess he could have been married and had children...but the relevance is that he is Aradel's ancestor we don't need a family tree for him.

It is a confirmed by a WoB

Q [2:01:20]: Aradel doesn’t sound like he is from Scadrial, seems out of place with his dark - well, tanned, - skin.

A: Aradel is actually based off Goradel, he is a descendant of his. So he is local. The skin, there are streaks of dark skin in Scadrial, they don’t associate them 100% with ethnicities because of the small [gene] pool they were building from, and they are stronger in the Terris bloodlines. So if they see someone with darker skin they will likely think they are from Terris, but there’s so much intermixing so that you can’t really say. Wax would have a darker complexion, maybe like a tanned caucasian.

from the SFO Signing. It was recorded by FirstSelector and transcribed by Argent

• Chaos locked this topic