Shadows of Self: SFO Signing

Elbereth

Hey. I'm going to the signing at Borderlands books in San Francisco, and I'm posting this topic because to my knowledge absolutely no one else (EDIT: one other person) is going. If someone is, and is planning to record there, I would like to know, because I'm planning on doing it and it could be rather awkward if someone else does too. This is also my first time attending a signing, so I'm excited but also somewhat nervous.

Thanks for letting me know!

Hi there! I'll be recording the open Q&A if I can, and my own and my husband's signing line stuff, but I wasn't planning anything beyond that. If you like, I'd be happy to coordinate with you otherwise. This is my first Sanderson signing too, so feel free to come say hi to me. I'll be the woman with the service dog kandra. :) See you there!

The event was awesome! I have now confirmed that I suck at asking questions, because I become a giddy fangirl. That being said, I've at least confirmed that crem IS spren poop... well, Shard poop... well, some sort of Shardic leavings.

Eta: and met awesome Sharders too. I'll post the WoBs I managed to catch, but apparently my memory was only good for half an hour of recording. Limelleth and Firstselector will have managed more than I did.

Edited by Corax

The event was awesome! I have now confirmed that I suck at asking questions, because I become a giddy fangirl.

Eh, I've been going to Brandon's signings for years and I am still having a hard time concentrating on business.

I was also there (should have checked for a topic like this in advance) and boy was it a blast. My first such event. I didn't make any recordings but I jotted down some recollections right after the fact.

- His intro lecture on the development of Korean writing was fun and while I knew that MaiPon and Forgery were inspired by his time there, I didn't realize he had also based the Aons on the way Korean writing works as well.

- Someone in the crowd asked what Copper compounding does during the QA session. He didn't answer specifically but mentioned that not all compounding does neat things, just most forms. Apparently copper isn't one of them.

- When he signed my books, he included the phrase 'Hands all red...'. Other people I talked to got the same thing.

- I asked about Chromium's ability to affect other forms of Investiture (ie leeching Breath or Stormlight) and got RAFO'd, followed by a general statement that most magics have cross-world effects, like Bronze sensing other forms of Investiture but we already knew about that. I suppose I should have expected that response for a crossover question but hey, now I'm part of the RAFO club.

- I asked about Chromium's ability to affect other forms of Investiture (ie leeching Breath or Stormlight) and got RAFO'd, followed by a general statement that most magics have cross-world effects, like Bronze sensing other forms of Investiture but we already knew about that. I suppose I should have expected that response for a crossover question but hey, now I'm part of the RAFO club.

Welcome! It's a fun place, even if we don't know anything.

So, when transcribing what q&a I can, where should I put it? Can someone point me at the right thread, please? Thanks. :)

Just put it in this thread, keeping everything related to an event in a single thread makes it easier on those of us who have to index everything.  Also if you don't want to transcribe stuff yourself you can just post the audio (Soundcloud is good for that).  And really posting the audio is always good.

I have the complete copy of the audio file (since Limelleth and Corax had to leave and battery issues, respectively).  It's in two large files, so I don't know quite where to host them.  Let me try soundcloud but if that fails I can hack a solution together.

We had a lot of fun!  It was fun to meet some other sharders.  Afterwards, Brandon took a moment to thank us (the fansite) directly, saying that it was fantastic that we were a friendly and active place for new people to learn about his books.

EDIT:  Here's the two links, whenever they finish processing.  The first is the QA (unfortunately, I didn't think to record his statement about fantasy fans not treating each other like garbage) and the second is the in-line signing.  I have the reading from an upcoming book, but he asked us not to post it yet.

Edited by FirstSelector

"Any questions?"

"No."

*sobs*

Why are there empty squares at the end? Is it because you haven't finished yet?

Yeah, I create a template for each questions (bolded Q:, bolded A:, brackets for the timestamp, and a line separator), and I copy it over a bunch of pages so I don't have to type it every time. So when I hit a question I just record the time and transcribe the question. I'll drop the extras once I am done.

Edited by Argent

Yeah, I create a template for each questions (bolded Q:, bolded A:, brackets for the timestamp, and a line separator), and I copy it over a bunch of pages so I don't have to type it every time. So when I hit a question I just record the time and transcribe the question. I'll drop the extras once I am done.

Alright thanks. I thought those were the confidential ones like this tip bit on Renarin you can't tell us  ;)

Alright, I am done with my transcript. This is from FirstSelector's second file, the personalization line. The way I do transcripts is, I listen to the entire thing, and whenever I hear a question I think might be interesting (either because it gets us more information about a book or the Cosmere as a whole, or because it's just a cool bit of information), I transcribe it. The way I transcribe the questions, I aim for the spirit of the question first, the main idea, and once I have that down, I might change the wording to be closer to what was actually said. I don't transcribe thoughts that don't go anywhere, irrelevant sounds, and other similar things - it's about the information, not the accuracy. If I can't understand or hear a question well enough, I add question marks and/or notes. Italicized text is usually my thoughts (unless it's a book title).

This being said, I would highly encourage some of you to go through at least the questions where I couldn't hear or understand things (there are timestamps in my document, they should be accurate down to a few seconds) and fix them up.