Duralumin Compounder. That has potential to be terrifying

Firehead13

Has anyone else thought about the villain potential that a duralumin compounder would have? When a duralumin feruchemist is filling his metal mind, people around him notice him less and trust him less. This leads me to believe that if he filled it full-tilt (in the same way that an iron feruchemist might put all of his weight into his metal minds for a time) he might become effectively unnoticeable - poor man's invisibility. Not a bad ability for the bad guy in flight. But if he taps his metal mind he can very quickly build trust and connections with other people. Not quite the same finesse as emotional allomancy, but effective all the same. 

Now imagine the extreme feelings of connection and trust that a duralumin compounder would be able to produce. Perhaps even create a diety-worshipper relationship with everyone in the area? I'd love to see one of these people just to see what they did with it.

A cosmere grey man? Hmmm....

The biggest downside to this is that the sense of connection works both ways. If you make others feel a heightened sense of connection to you, then you're also going to make yourself feel a heightened sense of connection to them. They'll trust you and do anything for you, but won't you do the same to them?

That said, I still absolutely love this idea. I think it'd be more awesome as a good-guy, though, than a villain. Imagine if this were Wayne's power... (It practically is, anyway.)

The biggest downside to this is that the sense of connection works both ways. If you make others feel a heightened sense of connection to you, then you're also going to make yourself feel a heightened sense of connection to them. They'll trust you and do anything for you, but won't you do the same to them?

Well this might not be a terrible thing if you're seeking to spread peace and understanding through the cosmere.  ;)

But if the super-connection works both ways would you still hate them after?

I suspect the attribute stiored is actualy "relationship weight" an hyothetical value that multiplies all your current relationships. So when storing, everyone cares less about you and you care less about them, and when tapping everyine cares more about you and you care more about them. So it can't turn enemies into friends or make people ignore you if you are somewhere you are forbidden to go, but can make your friends willing to die for and your rivals willing to kill you or make both ignore you during a party.

Still, you can acquire grey-men-like abilities.

Combined with your friend, who draws duralumin-attention you can sneak in.

I look at this this way: if you are a guard told to not let anyone enter, you won't let someone enter just because you don't know them and don't feel anything for them. However, if you were friends with that person, and they tapped duraluminun, them you would feel like making an exception.

While I know that I'm always fantasizing about powers that Hoid/Wit may or not posses, is it possible that he has this as well? It would certainly explain how Kaladin warmed to him so quickly when he's generally suspicious of everyone he meets. 

I look at this this way: if you are a guard told to not let anyone enter, you won't let someone enter just because you don't know them and don't feel anything for them. However, if you were friends with that person, and they tapped duraluminun, them you would feel like making an exception.

On the coppermind wiki it says that filling a duralumin mind reduces other's awareness of you, so maybe filling it all the way just makes you look past them? Alternatively if it works more like you're saying maybe it's more of a disappear in crowds kind of thing, where they just look over you without taking any special note.

While I know that I'm always fantasizing about powers that Hoid/Wit may or not posses, is it possible that he has this as well? It would certainly explain how Kaladin warmed to him so quickly when he's generally suspicious of everyone he meets. 

I think it's almost certain that he either has this ability or something very similar.  Perhaps if he'd actually be able to meet Vin, she'd have trusted him, but alas, it wasn't to be so.  We know both Shallan and Kaladin trusted him quickly, and Shallan's feelings seem to have lasted.  I didn't get the impression of the same trust from Kelsier, but he also may not have been as overtly suspicious as he usually was, plus that may not have been Hoid's goal considering his role at the time.

jW

I think it's almost certain that he either has this ability or something very similar.  Perhaps if he'd actually be able to meet Vin, she'd have trusted him, but alas, it wasn't to be so.  We know both Shallan and Kaladin trusted him quickly, and Shallan's feelings seem to have lasted.  I didn't get the impression of the same trust from Kelsier, but he also may not have been as overtly suspicious as he usually was, plus that may not have been Hoid's goal considering his role at the time.

jW

I don't think any trust that Vin might have displayed would have had a feruchemical origin.  Hoid's prime motive with Kelsier was to be underestimated (hence the obviously fake "blind skaa" disguise), with Shallan it was to be trusted (hence the Allomancy, which by WoB was one of the emotional Arts, and the pep talk).  With Kaladin, as I recall Hoid very quickly established the facts that "Yes, I know about the Surgebinding" and "All I want is a story."  (And really, who was Kaladin going to tell?  He didn't trust storming Dalinar with the surgebinding, and he's the next best thing to a boy scout that Kaladin's ever going to meet, and the rest of Bridge Four weren't exactly in a position to do anything about Hoid) That's not freely given trust so much as it is coerced trust.  

Back to Vin, I saw a theory on here (a surprisingly valid one, IMO) that her bronze earring allowed her to pierce through anything hiding Hoid's Investiture from the world, whereupon his Invested pulse signature returned an answer of "Allomancy + Lightweaving + Odd healing ability + What have you" and tipped her off to his oddness.  If she didn't have that, then it would depend on his goal, again.  To be underestimated?  The "blind skaa" defense would work even worse on Vin than it did on Kelsier.  To be trusted?  He has no real leverage on her that wouldn't immediately cause her to flip out, nor would she take kindly to a Soothing touch.  Beyond those goals, we don't know anything.  

Edited by Landis963

Also, can a duralumin Compounder swallow their burnmind and normal duralumin at the same time and get allomantic duralumin with feruchemical duralumin for a super-flare of connection? Because jeez.

We may burn the metalmind and the normal metal at the same time I think (it's quite a "different power") but I don't think there is any benefit in doing this.

The Connection is a Spiritual Attribute of yours. When you tap the metalmind, you strenghten it, but is quite a passive ability I suppose. There isn't any output or similar phenomenom that could recive a bost from the time bubble.

To me is the Spirtitual Version of "became taller/shorter", everyone Spiritual's aspect see you better and you could see better the other Spiritual's Aspect.

Alternatively if it works more like you're saying maybe it's more of a disappear in crowds kind of thing, where they just look over you without taking any special note.

That is what I meant. Storing Duraluminum would make people care less about you, so it would make it easier to not be noticed among a crowd and to leave or enter a crowded place without being noticed. But it wouldn't instantly stop people chasing you or let you invade the Governor's Palace right in front of the guards.

Edited by CognitivePulsePattern

But... doesn't the power you get from compounding give you the 'tapped' power, not the 'filling' power? So... it would actually do the opposite. You would have someone extremely noticeable, but extremely easy to make friends with. (That still has plenty of potential, though.)

But... doesn't the power you get from compounding give you the 'tapped' power, not the 'filling' power? So... it would actually do the opposite. You would have someone extremely noticeable, but extremely easy to make friends with. (That still has plenty of potential, though.)

I was talking about the feruchemy part. There are those who think storing duraluminum makes you praticaly invisible, and I think they are taking it too far.

Also, it would also be easy for the compounder to make enemies, since connections with other people aren't always based on trust or love or allegiance.

• Chaos locked this topic