Shadows of Self Typos

RShara

I know we've made typo threads in the past. I'm not quite done with the book, but I've noticed one typo so far:

Page 210. Paragraph 9. "though" should be "through" near the end of the paragraph. Sorry I don't have an exact excerpt, I made the notes of the typo on my phone, and don't have the book on me.

Okay this isn't exactly a typo but on page 174 of the US Hardcover during Paalm and Wax's conversation:

There are no good men, Bleeder said. Choice is an illusion, lawman.  There are those created to be selfish and there are those created to be selfless.  This does not make them good or evil, any more than the ravaging lion is evil when compared to the placid rabbit.

"You called them sewage."

Sewage is not evil. That does not make it desirable.

Bleeders voice in his mind seemed to take on more personality as she spoke. Soft, haunting, morose. Like Bloody Tan had been.

Someone else moves us. . . .

"And you?" Wax said. "Which are you? Wolf or rabbit?"

Shouldn't Wax have used lion instead of wolf?

The Ars Arcanum refers to inbreeding between Terris people and Allomancers, rather than interbreeding, which is mildly amusing :)

edit: this is specifically the metallic arts section relating to Twinborns.

Edited by Ari

Chapter 5:

“Ah, that, he thought, shaking it and hearing the pieces rattle inside. How long since this thing actually told time? He picked up the candelabra, pocketed the doily underneath, then put the candelabra back in place with the pocket watch hanging from it. Seemed like a fair trade.”

“Been needing a new handkerchief, he thought, blowing his nose into it, then pushed open the door and wandered in.”

Excerpt From: Sanderson, Brandon. “Shadows of Self.” Tom Doherty Associates. iBooks.

This material may be protected by copyright.

It seems confusing to have Wayne pocket the dolly but then immediately have him blow his nose on it.

Hmm. Maybe he puts it in and then takes it out...

While such odd behavior makes sense for Wayne, it definitely made me read the passage a few times to make sure it was saying what I thought it was. In film and tv, it would be a continuity error for sure.

Edited by masaru

This is one is probably more of a suggestion than a true correction, but on page 284, ch 17, of the hardcover, Marasi refers to MeLaan, saying:

"Hopefully Wayne and that kandra woman would be able to assure his safety"

[emphasis mine].  

At this point in the story, after Marasi has interacted one on one with MeLaan a number of times, referring to her this way seems impersonal, and felt off to me as a reader.  I get that this may have been a decision made for some variety, but thought it was also possible this could have been left over from an older draft where Marasi does not know MeLaan as well at this point in the story.

I don't know if this counts, but when Marasi is at the Govenor's first speech and she uses her Cadmium bubble she mentions that she made sure she had filled her reserves after the embarrassment that morning, but the events with the Marksmen happened the day before if I remember right.

Sorry I don't have the exact quote, I loaned my book to my friend and he hasn't returned it yet! :D

I don't know if this counts, but when Marasi is at the Govenor's first speech and she uses her Cadmium bubble she mentions that she made sure she had filled her reserves after the embarrassment that morning, but the events with the Marksmen happened the day before if I remember right.

Sorry I don't have the exact quote, I loaned my book to my friend and he hasn't returned it yet! :D

At that point hadn't she been up overnight and not slept? I remember another mention near that that refers to her being surprised it's already 2AM or something like that.

They weren't in an urgent state that early in the book, and after reading through chapters 5 and 6 again, I'm sure that it is just a continuity error which makes me sad because those are usely few and far between!  -_- (I hope I used the quotations correct!)

"Chapter Five"

Wayne tugged on his lucky hat. It was a coachman’s hat—something like a wide-brimmed bowler, only one that didn’t have three ounces of fancy shoved up its backside. He nodded to himself in his mirror, then wiped his nose. Sniffles. He’d started storing up health the day before, just after finding all those corpses.

Marasi tugged at the collar of her jacket, glad for the seaborne wind that blew across her. It could get warm in her uniform—a proper one today, with a buttoned white blouse and brown skirt to match the brown coat.

(Showing she had time to change. All emphasis placed by me. ;))

"Chapter SIx"

She had metal in her this time—she’d made sure, after being embarrassed this morning.

• 3 weeks later...

From the hardcover:

Page 83 (fifth line from the top): "Until you know it ain't true, treat every woman like she has an older brother what is stronger than you are?"

- Should be "that" (or... actually, shouldn't it be "who"?)

Page 212 (third paragraph): "He strolled down the lane and nodded to the temple guard, who wore a cap and overalls for his uniform and bore a ceremonial stick what seemed to have bits of hair sticking out of the end..."

- Should be "that".

Page 321 (the newspaper page, "The Sinister Soiree" continued, second column, second paragraph): "My enhanced senses found Mustache's gazelle-quick heartbeat..."

- Should be Mustaches' (the character's name is Mustaches; same page, third column, last line uses "Mustaches'" for the possessive).

Page 368 (second paragraph): "Wayne sauntered over on crutches" but yet (same page, second last paragraph) "Then he shook his head, grabbing his crutch and getting to his feet."

- Is Wayne using one crutch or two? 

Page 182-4: So Milan/MeLaan shows up to help Wax, and she's only referred to as "the woman" for a page (though the line "The woman from the party, the one who had tried flirting with him" does indicate Milan without naming her). Wax doesn't seem to remember her name, which is fine. He even asks (bottom of 182) "Who are you?" so we know she's not who she seems, though she's still referred to as "the woman". But then, middle of 183, we get "Wax grabbed Milan by the arm, yanking her to the side...". All of a sudden, she's Milan and not "the woman" anymore.

- Nothing major, but it just seemed so odd and abrupt that "the woman" suddenly became Milan a page after she first appeared in the scene. I thought I had missed a line where Wax remembered her name. Is there any way that Milan's name can be put in before the "Wax grabbed Milan" line so it's not as abrupt/out of (almost) nowhere? Like "the woman from the party, Milan, who had tried flirting with him"? Maybe that's just me, but I was a bit confused with "the woman"/Milan switch (I had to re-read the scene a few times to see if I'd missed her being introduced/named). 

From the hardcover:

Page 83 (fifth line from the top): "Until you know it ain't true, treat every woman like she has an older brother what is stronger than you are?"

- Should be "that" (or... actually, shouldn't it be "who"?)

Page 212 (third paragraph): "He strolled down the lane and nodded to the temple guard, who wore a cap and overalls for his uniform and bore a ceremonial stick what seemed to have bits of hair sticking out of the end..."

- Should be "that".

Page 321 (the newspaper page, "The Sinister Soiree" continued, second column, second paragraph): "My enhanced senses found Mustache's gazelle-quick heartbeat..."

- Should be Mustaches' (the character's name is Mustaches; same page, third column, last line uses "Mustaches'" for the possessive).

Page 368 (second paragraph): "Wayne sauntered over on crutches" but yet (same page, second last paragraph) "Then he shook his head, grabbing his crutch and getting to his feet."

- Is Wayne using one crutch or two? 

Page 182-4: So Milan/MeLaan shows up to help Wax, and she's only referred to as "the woman" for a page (though the line "The woman from the party, the one who had tried flirting with him" does indicate Milan without naming her). Wax doesn't seem to remember her name, which is fine. He even asks (bottom of 182) "Who are you?" so we know she's not who she seems, though she's still referred to as "the woman". But then, middle of 183, we get "Wax grabbed Milan by the arm, yanking her to the side...". All of a sudden, she's Milan and not "the woman" anymore.

- Nothing major, but it just seemed so odd and abrupt that "the woman" suddenly became Milan a page after she first appeared in the scene. I thought I had missed a line where Wax remembered her name. Is there any way that Milan's name can be put in before the "Wax grabbed Milan" line so it's not as abrupt/out of (almost) nowhere? Like "the woman from the party, Milan, who had tried flirting with him"? Maybe that's just me, but I was a bit confused with "the woman"/Milan switch (I had to re-read the scene a few times to see if I'd missed her being introduced/named). 

The two "what"s I believe are correct, albeit slang of questionable grammar.  One of the joys of getting a peek into Wayne's brain.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure about this one, but on pg 148 of the UK hardback, should the message on the coin have quotes or a comma before it or something?

He flipped the coin over in his fingers. Scratched onto the back, in tiny letters, were the words Why did you leave, Wax?

pg 202, incomplete speech tag:

... Marasi could have smacked him for his tone.
"No," Aradel.
"Very good, sir," Reddi said, pulling ...

As I recall there was another place with an incomplete tag. Unfortunately I seem to have lost the piece of paper I noted it on (Had an electricity problem and the house got turned upside down for a while and it got lost in the chaos. I'm keeping an eye out for the dratted thing.)

One last thing, not a typo or anything, but on pg 231 the 'surrey-style' carriage threw me because Surrey is a county in the UK. After which the carriage is named.

• 2 weeks later...

Kindle edition:

Chapter 16, location 4139: "A group of men in black suits and shotguns piled out": Either the men are in both suits and shotguns (no) or it's a group consisting of men and shotguns (technically accurate, I suppose, but odd enough that I'm mentioning it here). Should it be "with shotguns"?

Allomancer Jak story preceding chapter 21, location 5106 (broadsheet)/5137 (transcript): "Then I noticed over the crowd two pairs of waving arms that I immediately recognized as Handerwym's": This seems to imply that Handerwym has four arms, which I suspect is a mistake.

Chapter 21, location 5225: "Wax could almost hear the muscles constricting, pulling taught beneath that skin" should have "taut" rather than "taught".

Ars Arcanum, location 6029: "Tineye Mistings who burn tin increases the sensitivity of their five senses" should have "increase", since the subject is "Mistings".

Also noticed the "inbreeding" error from post 8 and the missing speech tag pointed out in post 23.

• 1 month later...

page 112, Kindle edition:  There's an altercation between a customer and a price-gouging food-vendor:

“I could get these at Elend’s stand for a fraction of the price!” the customer said. “Well, why don’t you go see if he has any left?” the cart owner said, nonplussed. The customer stormed off, leaving the cart owner with her sign proudly proclaiming the ridiculous price.

"Nonplussed" has become an inherently confusing and irritating word.  In the original French, "non plus" means "no more"--as in, "at wit's end."  That's still what the word means in British English and in formal writing in America.  But now, persistent misinterpretation of the "non-" part means that in America it's informally become synonymous with "unfazed".  So, I'm not sure if the cart owner is at her wit's end, or unfazed.  From the rest of the scene, I'm 90% sure she's unfazed, but I had to re-read, ejecting me from the narrative.  In the US, this is just confusing, but in the UK it would definitely still be considered a typo--at least in the UK edition, it should definitely be changed.  Even in the US, it'll cause readers mental pain and confusion.

Also, page 80 refers several times to "a candelabra".  1 Candelabrum, 2 caldelabra.

Edited by ecohansen