Shadows of Self Typos

RShara

Not really a typo, but Peter have you seen this? http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/52636-shadows-of-self-dust-jacket-synopsis-anyone-else-put-off/

The question is how the blurbs on the jackets are vetted/written. They seem fairly inconsistent with Brandon's writing and off-putting. Any illumination on this would be welcome.

• 3 weeks later...

"“I had no idea that Kid Wayne was so talented with beer-mat sculptures.”" Meeting in the bar.

It sparked several ideas: that Wayne's name is Kid, that it is his nickname (Kid Wayne, like Billy Kid) or is it just a typo and MeLaan is referring like she does to the short-lived mortals: "kid" ?

• 2 months later...

From the Audio book version:

Chapter 7

A rapping came at his window. Hesitant, Wax pulled aside the shade. Wax's face hung there, upside down, his hand holding his hat onto his head. "You done talking to yourself, Wax?" he asked. "I... Yes, I am." "I heard voices in my head once too, you know."

Shouldn't that be Wayne's face? The conversation continues, the speaker being clearly referred to as Wayne from there on out. I haven't listened much further yet, but that really stood out. For a moment, I thought Wax was somehow seeing Wayne looking like himself for some reason. He has just been talking to Harmony, after all. But clearly from further context, that makes no sense.

EDIT2: There's another point later in the book where Wax's name appears instead of Wayne's (or vice versa?), but I didn't note it down :(

EDIT: Also, I haven't listened to the whole thing yet, but when I was converting the audio to a format that my car can play, I separated out the Broadsheets and found what I assume is an error. Michael Kramer describes the first (between Chapters 5 and 6) as the "Upper left quadrant," the second (between Chapters 10 and 11) as the "Upper right quadrant," the third (between Chapters 15 and 16) as the "Lower left quadrant," and the fourth (between Chapters 20 and 21) as the "Lower left quadrant."

Because I haven't listened to it all yet, it's unclear which of those should be the "Lower right quadrant." I would guess though that the fourth entry, the one between Chapters 20 and 21, is the one that should have read "lower right."

The two "what"s I believe are correct, albeit slang of questionable grammar.  One of the joys of getting a peek into Wayne's brain.

Yeah, the "what"s are correct. If you listen to the audio book, Michael Kramer does an amazing job with Wayne's accents and it's clear (to me) from his presentation that such wording is part of said accents. 

Edited by Nyali

• 2 weeks later...

page 112, Kindle edition:  There's an altercation between a customer and a price-gouging food-vendor:

“I could get these at Elend’s stand for a fraction of the price!” the customer said. “Well, why don’t you go see if he has any left?” the cart owner said, nonplussed. The customer stormed off, leaving the cart owner with her sign proudly proclaiming the ridiculous price.

"Nonplussed" has become an inherently confusing and irritating word.  In the original French, "non plus" means "no more"--as in, "at wit's end."  That's still what the word means in British English and in formal writing in America.  But now, persistent misinterpretation of the "non-" part means that in America it's informally become synonymous with "unfazed".  So, I'm not sure if the cart owner is at her wit's end, or unfazed.  From the rest of the scene, I'm 90% sure she's unfazed, but I had to re-read, ejecting me from the narrative.  In the US, this is just confusing, but in the UK it would definitely still be considered a typo--at least in the UK edition, it should definitely be changed.  Even in the US, it'll cause readers mental pain and confusion.

Also, page 80 refers several times to "a candelabra".  1 Candelabrum, 2 caldelabra.

As a self-professed "fellow who reads way too much" I have to admit that I have never seen "nonplussed" used for "at wit's end". [note: I am American so I cannot speak to British or French literature]

• 2 months later...

Belated notice:

During ch9 party, Wayne spots some chocolate pastries. However next book brings up chocolate as a brand new cool thing heretofore unseen. This is probably just a tiny oversight, maybe wasn't even a thing at time of writing/checking. But now it's a small error and they might wanna fix it at some point.

2 hours ago, Kelsier's Boxing Glove said:

Belated notice:

During ch9 party, Wayne spots some chocolate pastries. However next book brings up chocolate as a brand new cool thing heretofore unseen. This is probably just a tiny oversight, maybe wasn't even a thing at time of writing/checking. But now it's a small error and they might wanna fix it at some point.

I'd suggested rereading that passage in BoM. Marasi remarks that "choc" is unlike the chocolate she ate. I guess that Northeners have dark chocolate and have not figured out various things you can do with that.

• Chaos unpinned this topic
  • Chaos locked this topic