Shadows of Self Tour: Chicago / Oak Brook, IL

Argent

We kind of sure that Bleeders spike is of an alien shard, So If could ask him my question would be;

Bleeder spike belongs to another shard, so in a planet all new shards need to have a magic system similar to the system already invested on the planet before. New shard on scadrial have a metal based system.

Does that mean a new shard on Sel would have writing/rune based system, A new shard in roshar have stormlight based system. Bleeder spike also mimics already existing powers so a new shard would not grant completely new powers.

If the answer is yes Odium visits to other worlds may have left some magic effect we do not know yet.

We kind of sure that Bleeders spike is of an alien shard, So If could ask him my question would be;

Bleeder spike belongs to another shard, so in a planet all new shards need to have a magic system similar to the system already invested on the planet before. New shard on scadrial have a metal based system.

Does that mean a new shard on Sel would have writing/rune based system, A new shard in roshar have stormlight based system. Bleeder spike also mimics already existing powers so a new shard would not grant completely new powers.

If the answer is yes Odium visits to other worlds may have left some magic effect we do not know yet.

Too long for the volume of questions I am trying to squeeze in, I'm afraid. It also makes certain - intuitive - assumptions that I am not sure we are certain about. 

@zas, I might fit that somewhere. 

That's a good list, Argent. I hope you get enough time to ask all of those.

These are the questions I was planning to ask when I thought I could make it to Wednesday's event. If any of them are interesting to you, go ahead and add them to your list.

• Would it have been possible for Wax and Lessie to have children?
  • If a kandra took up the bones of a Dakhor monk, would they receive any of the associated abilities?
  • Would a Soother be able to prevent a listener from attuning a given rhythm?
  • If Ruin and Preservation had picked Roshar instead of Scadrial, would magical abilities still divide into sets of 16?
  • Assuming the necessary pieces were in place, if a knight radiant travelled by oathgate to the moon Salas, would she appear instantaneously or would speed of light constraints apply?
  • If the shades on Threnody stopped enforcing the Simple Rules, would the spread of the Evil from the Homeland be hastened?
  • Would a duralumin lined hat block emotional allomancy similar to aluminum?
Edited by ccstat

Too long for the volume of questions I am trying to squeeze in, I'm afraid. It also makes certain - intuitive - assumptions that I am not sure we are certain about. 

@zas, I might fit that somewhere. 

Ok, making it short without assumption,

If a shard goes to another world, will its magic be similar to the magic already invested on that world?

Will that new shard magic stay when visiting shard leave?

That's a good list, Argent. I hope you get enough time to ask all of those.

These are the questions I was planning to ask when I thought I could make it to Wednesday's event. If any of them are interesting to you, go ahead and add them to your list.

• Would it have been possible for Wax and Lessie to have children?
  • If a kandra took up the bones of a Dakhor monk, would they receive any of the associated abilities?
  • Would a Soother be able to prevent a listener from attuning a given rhythm?
  • If Ruin and Preservation had picked Roshar instead of Scadrial, would magical abilities still divide into sets of 16?
  • Assuming the necessary pieces were in place, if a knight radiant travelled by oathgate to the moon Salas, would she appear instantaneously or would speed of light constraints apply?
  • If the shades on Threnody stopped enforcing the Simple Rules, would the spread of the Evil from the Homeland be hastened?
  • Would a duralumin lined hat block emotional allomancy similar to aluminum?

Those are the most interesting questions I've read all day. Upvote for that!

Just got in to a friend's house after the signing. Some good stuff, nothing earth-shattering that comes to mind immediately. The signing table was literally littered with people's phones recording stuff, so we should get a lot of good audio and transcripts.one thing that pops to mind is that Ralkalest is definitely aluminum unless Brandon spiked out Peter's powers of trolling. ;)

Alright, I am finally home.

If you are curious about how the event went, Brandon arrived early - about an hour early, I think. Right as I went to get a snack. Which took forever. So I ended up sitting in the Barnes & Noble Starbucks for like 5 minutes while looking at Brandon talk to people in the other end of the store. Worst 5 minutes of my life.

Anyway, he arrived early and went straight to personalization, trying to get at least some of the work done before the scheduled time. I couldn't record those first few people, and I have no idea if they asked any questions. There were other people recording, so maybe they got it. I caught everything once I got back, which was a little over an hour of early personalization, about 40 minutes of chat and Q&A, 20 minutes of Dalinar's flashback sequence (trivia: it's how he got the name Blackthorn), and then a little over 2 hours of regular personalization. Oh, and another 15 minutes of quick questions from diehard fans who surrounded him in the parking lot. The files are in my Google Drive (which, if I've done this right, won't contain the reading) for now, so if anyone wants to start transcribing, go right ahead.  I probably won't get a chance to transcribe any of the four hours at least until the weekend, and I would have to deal with listening to the sound of my recorded voice when I do, so I wouldn't be mad if you take this off my shoulders.

Until more exciting and specific things get transcribed, I will leave you with the following tidbits from memory.

Warning: Shadows of Self spoilers!

• I asked Brandon if Bleeder died with one spike made of the unknown metal, or if she had another, regular, spike as well. You know, just for a confirmation, because the wording was ambiguous. Which he confirmed, he didn't intend us to wonder about which one of those actually the case, it's not a big mystery. ONLY HE WOULDN'T REVEAL IT TO ME! He said he'd heard about how divided we are in the interpretation of this, so he is going to let us sit on our theories until the end of the tour. We can then ask Peter to give us the answer.
    • And on that note, Brandon confirmed that Harmony was unable to find Bleeder because her spike was made of that unknown metal, not because the spike and/or the metal granted her the ability to hide from him.
  • I asked if Bloody Tan was influenced or controlled by Harmony or one of his agents when Lessie died, and even though Brandon RAFOed me, it sounded like he was being influenced and/or controlled, just not by Harmony. At least not directly. But that's my interpretation of his body language.
  • The Hemalurgic constructs Wax and TenSoon fought don't have an official name. He's been thinking of them as Hemalurgic chimaeras. so Hemalurgic Chimaeras, or just Chimaeras, should be good enough for us, I think.
  • It is possible to create a universal metalmind, a metalmind you can store anything in. Naturally Brandon wouldn't say if said metalmind would be made of harmonium , but I think it's a sound theory, given that lerasium is the give-all for Allomancy (note that Brandon looked at me funny and smirked when I prefaced my question with "lerasium grants all Allomantic powers..."), and atium is the steal-all for Hemalurgy.
  • Aluminum can prevent a Nalthian from Returning, but it's not as simple as stabbing one. Aluminum is apparently magically inert (so, in my words, Investiture can't affect it), and it can also act as a sink for Investiture (in my words, if you try to dump a bunch of Investiture in it, it'll just soak it with no effect). Also, it cannot be Awakened.
    • As Kurk  mentioned, Brandon all but confirmed than ralkahest is either aluminum or an alloy of its. This is in the 15-minute long Extras audio file, if anyone wants specifics.

That's all from for now, I need to recharge for a bit. There were quite a few Sharders (and lurkers!) present, I got to chat with some of them, they were all good folks. Fun times too, freezing in the parking lot after the event, very bonding experience. I feel we'll be ready for blood vows come next signing. 

[Audio files]

Alright, I am finally home.

Warning: Shadows of Self spoilers!

• [*]I asked Brandon if Bleeder died with one spike made of the unknown metal, or if she had another, regular, spike as well. You know, just for a confirmation, because the wording was ambiguous. Which he confirmed, he didn't intend us to wonder about which one of those actually the case, it's not a big mystery.
ONLY HE WOULDN'T REVEAL IT TO ME! He said he'd heard about how divided we are in the interpretation of this, so he is going to let us sit on our theories until the end of the tour. We can then ask Peter to give us the answer.
This made me laugh the hardest I have laughed all day.

Also, I will likely help to transcribe this one, given that you did all of the work on my own signing before I could get to it.

Thanks for sharing! Once again, you had a great Extras session full of good answers. The shade questions were particularly clever, with interesting answers, so props to whoever thought those ones up. Also some nice confirmations. (Glad to know that an infused gem will still glow even if it doesn't leak, for example.)

It is worth noting that he RAFOd nearly all of the follow up questions, so planning things out in that format may not net as much information.

Edited by ccstat

Well, those are some good answers! Although I'm a little sad that ralkalest is aluminum (cause it means that it's not Trellium), it is very interesting, and it'll allow for some interesting mechanics in the future when the cosmere starts mixing magics more plainly. 

SoS spoilers

• I asked Brandon if Bleeder died with one spike made of the unknown metal, or if she had another, regular, spike as well. You know, just for a confirmation, because the wording was ambiguous. Which he confirmed, he didn't intend us to wonder about which one of those actually the case, it's not a big mystery. ONLY HE WOULDN'T REVEAL IT TO ME! He said he'd heard about how divided we are in the interpretation of this, so he is going to let us sit on our theories until the end of the tour. We can then ask Peter to give us the answer.

BRAAANDOOON!!! *shakes fist*

By the way, calling Bleeder's Hemalurgic creations "chimaeras" suggests that their Hemalurgic donors were animals. Makes sense to me. If she did use "trellium" on those creatures, that would suggest that "trellium" steals a Cognitive attribute (i.e. something related to how the donor's soul saw itself, e.g. "I'm a rabid dog"). Not sure how that would lead to Bleeder's telepathy, unless the donor of Bleeder's own spike had telepathic powers (so, not from Scadrial?).

Edited by skaa

Thanks for sharing! Once again, you had a great Extras session full of good answers. The shade questions were particularly clever, with interesting answers, so props to whoever thought those ones up. Also some nice confirmations. (Glad to know that an infused gem will still glow even if it doesn't leak, for example.)

It is worth noting that he RAFOd nearly all of the follow up questions, so planning things out in that format may not net as much information.

The shade questions were mine (the tell is how deep and manly my voice is B) ). They came about as a result of a discussion with Darnam/Mac/Outis/Oudeis on another site; a friend of mine was asking the gem question (he's on the site but I'm not sure if he wants to be credited).

The way I see it, follow-up questions (particularly the more spur-of-the-moment ones) tend to be pretty fast and it's pretty easy for Brandon to just say RAFO and then we move on. But when he does answer them, they give us a lot more to work with. As an example, we wouldn't know about ralkalest if not for follow-ups.

I was so flabbergasted when he wouldn't tell me. Literal jawdrop and all that.

That was essentially my reaction when he RAFO'd the aluminum compounding question.

EDIT: And the really annoying thing about that is that I could have just asked the underlying question ("Do you have a moment of Allomantic burning every time you compound a metal?") and gotten what I wanted. I just didn't anticipate the possibility of a RAFO.
Edited by Kurkistan

There were quite a few Sharders (and lurkers!) present...

I was one of those lurkers present, and I had a blast getting to meet some of you guys! I have been lurking here for quite some time, and this finally got me to create an account and at least say hi! I have also recorded a good portion of the signing and even some in the parking lot afterwards. If you need my copies, please feel free to ask, I just have to edit out the reading.

I was listening to Argent's Personalization 1.wav yesterday. I didn't catch anything interesting Cosmere-wise, but I was working at the time so I may have missed some things. I planned to continue with the other recordings today but unfortunately I forgot to bring my headset to the office. Is anyone working on the transcript already? I'd love to know about the shade questions that ccstat and Kurk were talking about.

Edited by skaa

I am almost finished with Personalization 1.

There's nothing hugely significant in there, but there is at least one potentially very interesting thing that I can't quite figure out, from 56:14 onward. I'll share the doc once I finish tonight.

EDIT: Then I'll probably start on Extras, which promises to be interesting.

Edited by Limelleth

I am almost finished with Personalization 1.

Cool. Would you mind posting it as a Google-doc so people can offer comments. etc. in case parts are hard to hear or the like? It also helps let multiple people work on the same transcription together without duplicating work. :)

EDIT:

@Skaa

To give a sneak preview, it was about how to heal withering. If I'm recalling correctly, both Feruchemical gold and Allomantic aluminum would work, but Allomantic aluminum would work better/perfectly. Also it's "fair" to describe withering as a "cancerous Forging" (my phrasing).

I will. I have to figure out how to make it public on my iPad first, but I'll put it up in a few minutes.

EDIT: Got it! Here!

EDIT 2: I have finished Personalization 1 and am close to the end of Extras, which is great. Seriously, awesome questions and (some) awesome answers.

EDIT 3: Extras is done. Unless someone else gets to it, I'll work on Personalization 2 tomorrow, and you should expect it done around this time (9:00 PST)

Edited by Limelleth

Oh, Damnation. There was another necrosil question before my (Personalization 1) recording started. It went something like this (but take this with a grain of salt):

Q: People on Scadrial have Investiture of both Ruin and Preservation. Does filling a necrosilmind involve storing some of that Innate Investiture, kind of as a way of storing your connection to the Shards? Shardworld?

A: [Verbatim] You are on the right track.

I am immensely sorry I don't remember it exactly, I was going to (I spoke with the guy who asked it, so that's what I am going off here). I think he is a Sharder though, so maybe he'll delurk and save me a little.

Oh, Damnation. There was another necrosil question before my (Personalization 1) recording started. It went something like this (but take this with a grain of salt):

Q: People on Scadrial have Investiture of both Ruin and Preservation. Does filling a necrosilmind involve storing some of that Innate Investiture, kind of as a way of storing your connection to the Shards? Shardworld?

A: [Verbatim] You are on the right track.

I am immensely sorry I don't remember it exactly, I was going to (I spoke with the guy who asked it, so that's what I am going off here). I think he is a Sharder though, so maybe he'll delurk and save me a little.

I have delurked! I was the one to ask that question. My interaction with Brandon went as follows: 

Me: Humans on Scadrial have investiture of both Preservation and Ruin inside of them.

Brandon: *Nodded* Yes

Me: Feruchemically,  with Nicrosil, (At this point Brandon's body language changed, and i knew that he would not want to answer my question), does storing investiture in Nicrosil store this connection to Ruin/Preservation/Harmony?

Brandon: You are on the right track, and asking the right questions but RAFO.