Shadows of Self: BYU midnight signing

Lightning

This is what I assumed initially - I saw the outside arc of lerasium, saw that harmonium had two of those and atium had none, so I figured harmonium would be double lerasium, and maybe atium will cancel some of the extra spikes or something. But once I was done superimposing the lerasium symbols there was just no room atium. But obviously I can't argue with Isaac. Maybe the mix is more conceptual than actual - the straight spikes of atium with the curved lines of lerasium. 

I agree with you. When I fist saw it (before Kara put it on) i was trying to find which symbol it reflected and it is really close to the double lerasium.

As for this -

This is interesting and answers that question from the second letter. Safe to say that Frost is 99% unlikely to be a Shard. I wonder how Brandon plans to write out Frost's species' characteristics

As the for the second point, it may be prudent to re-read Zahel's/Vasher's scenes with a closer eye peeled

I don't know if it is a too much of a spoiler, but frost is addressed as "his scaly" friend in Hoid's letter. When I asked Brandon for confirmation he indicated that frost is in fact a dragon.

Thus we know that there are humans, dragons and a third race on Yolen. I have goo reason for believing I know what the third race it but, am not sure if it is yet spoiled somewhere else.

I wish I could get 10 rep, just by posting two names!

My question to Brandon was why the Lord Ruler spiked himself.  I didn't clarify initially that I meant with hemalurgic spikes.  Once I did, Brandon said he thought they were not hemalurgic but only metalminds, and Peter backed him up on that.

To clarify: Who was "he"? Is Brandon saying that TLR mistakenly thought that the bracers weren't spikes, or is Brandon "he" here and saying as the author that they were not spikes?

EDIT: Because we have from the annotations that TLR was using Hemalurgy, and from Brandon in 2008 that the bracers were spikes.

Edited by Kurkistan

Q. How was Sazed able to talk to Vin and Elend and know they are happy now if he hasn't been able to access the ultimate afterlife that exists beyond the three Realms?

A. Harmony said that they are happy, not that he has talked to them.

It looks like

he says in his letter to Spook at the very end of Hero of Ages that he "has spoken with our friends." So did he just talk to them before they fully moved on to that ultimate afterlife? Or did he not actually talk to them?

Edited by kadengt

As for this -

I don't know if it is a too much of a spoiler, but frost is addressed as "his scaly" friend in Hoid's letter. When I asked Brandon for confirmation he indicated that frost is in fact a dragon.

Thus we know that there are humans, dragons and a third race on Yolen. I have goo reason for believing I know what the third race it but, am not sure if it is yet spoiled somewhere else.

Oh I know he's a reptile, I'm just intrigued by the WoB about his longevity resulting from his race's characteristics. When you look back at the first letter, Hoid says "you are now essentially immortal" meaning that he had just become immortal recently *recently as immortal beings go anyway* there was one last factor/criteria to be met before reaching that point, at least that's how i'm reading it. Whether it be a stage in the life cycle of dragons or something else

Since this seems as good a place as any to put it, here's my Q/A from the BYU signing (paraphrased from memory):

Q: We know that Hoid likes to collect various "trinkets" and powers from the various shard worlds he visits. If he could, would Hoid choose to have access to 'every' magic system within the Cosmere, or are there some that he would rather avoid for any reason?

A: *nervous laugh* Let's just say that he's not very good at avoiding things that are bad for him.

Since this seems as good a place as any to put it, here's my Q/A from the BYU signing (paraphrased from memory):

Q: We know that Hoid likes to collect various "trinkets" and powers from the various shard worlds he visits. If he could, would Hoid choose to have access to 'every' magic system within the Cosmere, or are there some that he would rather avoid for any reason?

A: *nervous laugh* Let's just say that he's not very good at avoiding things that are bad for him.

Now I want to ask if Hoid has any hemallurgic spikes. ;)

3. While talking to the crowd he said, (paraphrased) you have already read what is going to happen in the end of the storm light archives.

Wait... WHAT? Is he talking about the Deathrattles? about Dalinar's visions? We don't want to talk about it? O___o

Wait... WHAT? Is he talking about the Deathrattles? about Dalinar's visions? We don't want to talk about it? O___o

I guess I'll put this in a spoiler block, just in case, but that makes it less funny.  :)

(SarcasmFont)  He means everybody's just gonna decide they've had enough, put down their swords, and walk away. (/SarcasmFont)

We don't know. He implied it's something similar to how the ending of The Hero of Ages is right there in the first epigraph of the book. Whether the Stormlight ending is in the epigraphs again, or somebody's random thought, or something in a vision, we don't know.

To clarify: Who was "he"? Is Brandon saying that TLR mistakenly thought that the bracers weren't spikes, or is Brandon "he" here and saying as the author that they were not spikes?

EDIT: Because we have from the annotations that TLR was using Hemalurgy, and from Brandon in 2008 that the bracers were spikes.

Kurkistan,

Exactly!  I was aware of those quotes, which is why I asked Brandon the question I did.

And to clarify, when I said "he" I meant Brandon, the author.  In other words, Brandon thought the atium bracers were only metalminds not hemalurgic spikes, and when Brandon asked Peter for confirmation on that, Peter confirmed it.

Finally, I found the place to share what I learned at the signing. I got three questions answered, though I'm not sure how useful they are in the grand scheme of things:

1) (More for the fun of it) Q: If you steelpush/ironpull on a computer's hard drive, what would happen?

A: It would screw it up.

2) Aside from Demoux and Aslydin, are there any couples travelling throughout the cosmere? And if so, do they have any children that also worldhop?

A: Yes.

3) Could Aluminum act as a sort of shield from other forms of investiture? As in, could an aluminum misting lashed to something burn aluminum and dispel the stormlight?

A: RAFO (called it before I asked, but I just had to ask).

And then I was lucky enough to find a signed copy of the tenth anniversary Elantris the next day in the Bookstore.

• 3 weeks later...

Since I'm brand new to the Forums, I'm just now getting to posting my Q&As from the BYU Library signing. I was going to try and hide the Dragonsteel bits in a spoilery section, but apparently I don't know how. Sorry!

Q: It seems to be more and more apparent that different abilities are granted depending on the design of one's spiritweb. Is the design of a spiritweb, and the abilities it grants, limited to a specific shardworld, or are the designs universal across the cosmere? For example: can a worldhopper from Roshar travel to Scadrial and access previously locked portions of their spiritweb through methods such as hemalurgy?

A: Most abilities are free to be used across the cosmere, but some are VERY region-locked, like with Elantris. They have difficulty using their abilities outside their own country. There is a reason for this. But most are able to be used elsewhere.

Q: Is it possible for there to be a microkinetic who can see spiritwebs to the point that they could alter a web, granting at will new abilities that were previously inaccesible?

A: It IS possible that a person could exist who uses micokinesis to see spiritwebs and alter them according to their will. However, Dragonsteel is pre-Shattering. (Which I infer to mean microkinesis no longer exists post-Shattering, when other magic abilities become prevalent.)

Those were my only two questions. I will note that I was intrigued by his statement about Dragonsteel being pre-Shattering, and told him that I (and others) were under the impression that Liar of Partinel and Lightweaver of Rens were pre, while Dragonsteel and everything after was post. To my great pleasure he said "No, it is definitely pre-Shattering because..." and then kind of bit his tongue to stop himself from saying more, and just nodded his head. Take from that what you will, I know what I theorize from it.

Those were my only two questions. I will note that I was intrigued by his statement about Dragonsteel being pre-Shattering, and told him that I (and others) were under the impression that Liar of Partinel and Lightweaver of Rens were pre, while Dragonsteel and everything after was post. To my great pleasure he said "No, it is definitely pre-Shattering because..." and then kind of bit his tongue to stop himself from saying more, and just nodded his head. Take from that what you will, I know what I theorize from it.

Dragonsteel contains the origin stories of those who eventually became the sixteen Shardholders (Ati, Leras, Tanavast, Bavadin, Rayse, etc.). That part is definitely pre-Shattering.

Thanks for asking about microkinesis. I've never heard of the term before, and it's pretty cool to know that Yolish Investiture has that kind of ability. :)

Edited by skaa

Now I want to ask if Hoid has any hemallurgic spikes. ;)

Brandon has been asked about that, and I'm pretty sure the answer was something like "Hoid would be reluctant to open himself to outside influence like that" or something.

Hoid does not use Hemalurgy.

Relevant WoB:

Question

Aha! Yes! Uh, ok, second thing. My brother and I have been debating about Hoid and how he got his abilities. We have a couple theories. One of them is Hemalurgy.

Brandon Sanderson

Ok…

Question

The other has to do with the portals into the worlds themselves, because the birds in Sixth of Dusk-

Brandon Sanderson

Ok, he does not have Hemalurgy. He has powers that predate the Shattering of Adonalsium. Not all of his powers predate, but he does have powers that predate.

Question

Ok, so I was wrong on both counts then… Am I wrong on both counts?

Brandon Sanderson

I’m not saying that. I’m saying that he has powers that predate, and has gained powers since.

Emphasis Mine.

Edited by Iron Eyes

Brandon has previously said that the end of SA has been revealed, similar to how Sazed's ascension was revealed in the epigraphs of TFE.

The visions do show us the end of the world. I know those visions were said to be only one possible future, but maybe we are reading about a doomed planet. 

• 2 years later...
On 28/10/2015 at 1:58 PM, Shardbearer said:

Brandon has previously said that the end of SA has been revealed, similar to how Sazed's ascension was revealed in the epigraphs of TFE.

“Ten people, with Shardblades alight, standing before a wall of black and white and red.”

WoK Chaper 9 Epigraph. might suffice for that though.

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 10:18 AM, Dahak said:

“Ten people, with Shardblades alight, standing before a wall of black and white and red.”

WoK Chaper 9 Epigraph. might suffice for that though.

Wait... we know that's the end of the series? The 10 book or the 5 book arc?

20 hours ago, Farnsworth said:

Wait... we know that's the end of the series? The 10 book or the 5 book arc?

No, merely that it is an example of something that could be a description in short of the final climax and which hasn't shown up yet. While also not really giving away anything in the same manner as the epigraphs for Mistborn 3.

There are a couple of other possibilities including the one about holding a knife to a baby's throat.

And aren't the florid deconstruction of the world Dalinar saw at one point.

Edited by Dahak