Shadows of Self Chapter 5

WeiryWriter

At this rate, they're going to have half the book up online before it's released...

(Is that going to stop me from going and reading the next chapter?  No.  Of course not.  There are few among us who can make that sort of willpower save.)

“She is the only Steelrunner I know of who could possibly be involved in something like this. She vanished about a month ago after acting… very erratically. Claimed that she was being visited by the spirit of her dead brother.”

Oh dear.

Oh well obviously that's just Ruin being all Ruinous... but wait....  :huh:

Edited by Kurkistan

He’d always found it odd that so many died when they were old, as logic said that was the point in their lives when they’d had the most practice not dying.

That's a very... Pratchett thing to say. He likes to throw this idea every other book.

“Well, you know,” Wayne said. “It’s like I often say…”

“Greet every morning with a smile. That way it won’t know what you’re planning to do to it?”
“No, not that one.”
“Until you know it ain’t true, treat every woman like she has an older brother what is stronger than you are?”
“No, not… Wait, I said that?”

Am I the only one who sees Pratchett everywhere in this chapter? An exchange like this is very common during the City Watch subseries, usually between Vimes and Carrot.

The etched letters over the top proclaimed, in High Imperial, Wasing the Always of Wanting of Knowing.

Wait, did we already know that High Imperial was Spook's dialect?!

She vanished about a month ago after acting… very erratically. Claimed that she was being visited by the spirit of her dead brother.”

Hello, Hemalurgy. 

“Idashwy,” he said. It was pronounced in the Terris manner, eyedash-wee.

So what's the Terris manner? First vowel is stressed and pronounced as it appears in the alphabet? So Wax - Asinthew - would be ey-sinthü?

Marasi missed a step, stumbling into Lieutenant Ahlstrom’s desk.

Did we know about this cameo? The only reference to Peter I could recall was the Ahlstrom Square. Man, I need to reread The Alloy of Law approximately ASAP...

zinctongues 

That's a clever evolution of language. I approve.

Perhaps it's Kelsier? Fits the MO - corrupted nobles being killed. I mean, who else could it be? But he doesn't have any Ruinous power, does he? Unless... he got Harmony's extra Ruin? And even if he did, I don't think he'd be working with the Set.

I can't imagine Harmony's doing it.

My other idea is that any Soother or Rioter could do it, but I don't think the power is capable of that. Vin could send mental commands to her koloss, not show them hallucinations. Not that she tried...

Edited by Moogle

Perhaps it's Kelsier? Fits the MO - corrupted nobles being killed. I mean, who else could it be? But he doesn't have any Ruinous power, does he? Unless... he got Harmony's extra Ruin? And even if he did, I don't think he'd be working with the Set.

I can't imagine Harmony's doing it.

My other idea is that any Soother or Rioter could do it, but I don't think the power is capable of that. Vin could send mental commands to her koloss, not show them hallucinations. Not that she tried...

Well, we know from some oblique answers to questions that Something was influencing Miles - presumably the same Something that sent Bloody Tan 'round the bend.  The question is what, and how?

Is it possible that something out there can hitch onto the same channels that Harmony can use to speak to and/or listen to folks?  Sort of a tapping into the godphone, so to speak.

" I'm not drunk, I'm testing out different states of sobriety."

Best quote ever.

The promise of more Wayne shenanigans makes me inordinately gleeful.

Is it possible that something out there can hitch onto the same channels that Harmony can use to speak to and/or listen to folks?  Sort of a tapping into the godphone, so to speak.

That's kind of what I was thinking too. Somebody highjacking the Hemalurgic landline.

“You just recognized this because the killer was making others do his work for him, which is an expertise of yours.”

You know you're good when a Ladrian tells you off for making others do your work for you.

Interesting that it seems Terrismen haven't had elongated features in a long time. Maybe Harmony's fault when he fixed human physiology?

Edited by natc

I was thinking that XD Which one of you has Breeze as an ancestor again?

Wasnt the elongation because they were castrated?

I made this weird connection a minute ago while trying to sleep, it is probably nonsense, but I have to put it here: The steelrunners brother is the man Wayne killed.

Anyway, how does Scadrial have months when it doesnt have a moon?

Hmm... Hmm...

At this point it is safe to say that the Set is likely using Hemalurgy. Well, at the very least Marsh thinks Wax aught to know it is a possibility. It was mentioned before, but isn't it likely that they made a Hemalurgic spike from poor Idashwy? Well,playing off that, it was mentioned that she was seeing her dead brother in visions. Now, it was also mentioned that it may have been Kelsier (meaning she was spiked), but I have a different thought.

Emotional Allomancy can control Hemalurgic constructs. If the Set knows of Hemalurgy and this weakness, there is a lot of potential for messing with someones mind. There might not be enough Hemalurgic charge to force anything, but a little psychological twisting could be just as effective and isn't stopped by removing the spike.

Edited by WindrunnerRadiant

That's a very... Pratchett thing to say. He likes to throw this idea every other book.

Am I the only one who sees Pratchett everywhere in this chapter? An exchange like this is very common during the City Watch subseries, usually between Vimes and Carrot.

Agreed :-) But where Carrot ist lawful good and Vimes ist neutral good I would say Wayne ist chaotic good and Wax is ... hmmm ... lawful neutral?

Calling it "mythological" is a bit extreme though, for something all the terris probably knew the cause for, since I would think that non-castrated terris men kind of have to exist for the race to still persist in a breeding program so long. Rashek didn't just kill everyone despite the danger, so he probably wanted his people to continue on, and kerping them pure would be even more important as everybody else in the empire risks possessing allomantic genes.

They can castrate them afterwards, sure, but I do believe long bone growth generally only happens when the procedure is performed before puberty.

Agreed :-) But where Carrot ist lawful good and Vimes ist neutral good I would say Wayne ist chaotic good and Wax is ... hmmm ... lawful neutral?

I'd put Wax as probably Lawful Good myself.  He's definitely on the Good end of the alignment scale.

Wayne is mostly Chaotic Good, with the occasional lapse into Chaotic Neutral, because pickles.