Shadesmar Quote Question

SOM1else

If we had a Shadesmar thread here like the one in the SLA boards I would have posted this there cause this isn't really a theory but some speculation on a quote that I read.

Each of the 'Shardworlds' I've written in (Mistborn, Elantris, Warbreaker, Way of Kings) exists with the same cosmology. All things exist on three realms--the spiritual, the cognitive, and the physical. What's going on here is an interaction between the three realms. I don't to bore you with my made up philosophy, but I do have a cohesive metaphysical reasoning for how my worlds and magic works. And there is a single plane of existence--called Shadesmar, the Cognative Realm--which connects them all.

I just saw this and something came to me. He says that there is a single plane of existence that connects all of his worlds and that that plane is "Shadesmar, the Cognitive Realm--which connects them all". does this mean that you cant get to other shard worlds without manipulating Shadesmar? is the physical plane somehow broken the same way Adonalsium is broken? could Adonalsium be the Physical Realm? I dont really know what to make of this, what are your thoughts cause really I don't really know what to think about this.

I think that the Physical Realm is just that- the physical realm. It is where matter is, and where (almost) all of the stories play out in the books.

The Spiritual Realm is where all the energy is. (I think. )Faith and emotions may have to do with this realm as well.

The cognitive realm is where all the minds of things are. If you can manipulate the Cognitive Realm, than you can manipulate the physical realm. An example? When Shallan "talks" to the sphere in the Shadesmar and it turns into blood.

does this mean that you cant get to other shard worlds without manipulating Shadesmar?

I suspect it is possible to get to another shard world through normal physical means, but none of the current shardworlds that we know of have progressed technologically to the point where space travel is available. Perhaps in the 3rd Mistborn trilogy, we'll get an answer to this question...

• Chaos locked this topic