Greetings, Sharders and creators! The King of the Kobolds here, speaking from an undisclosed pocket universe. (Don't try to track me. I have more Cerberi standing watch than you could count.)

In this post I brought up a potential project for the worldbuilders among us. The project aims to create a functional fantasy setting through collaborative effort, with various members working together to flesh out different regions of a magical world.

There are no requirements save a zeal for creation and an active imagination. There are few rules, save for the following:

• Try to stick to the C.O.P. system whenever possible. For those unaware, "C.O.P." stands for cool, original, and plausible. Obviously plausibility has different meanings for different people where fantasy is concerned, but unless everyone wants to create a deliberately ludicrous Wonderland let's try to be reasonable. (Bear in mind that a deliberately ludicrous Wonderland is not off the table, should everyone want one.)
  • Once regions are available and you have claimed one, please refrain from spreading your creations to adjacent lands without the consent of their claimers. This is just to prevent one person from creating a race of indestructible vampire dragons that take over the world and leave no room for anyone else.
  • Have fun, or else.

To join, just state your interest below. Here are a few questions for us to ponder before getting started:

• Will magic be abundant or rare in this new world?
  • Will the climate and background ecology resemble that of Earth, or will it be entirely different?
  • What kind of biomes do people want access to? I've contacted a cartographer who might be available to help with maps, and I'm sure it'd be helpful to this individual to have an idea of what regions are in the highest demand.

The world of Diaemus rises!

EDIT: SOME IMPORTANT LINKS:

Other Diaemus Project threads:

Edited by Kobold King

Will the climate and background ecology resemble that of Earth, or will it be entirely different?

What kind of biomes do people want access to? I've contacted a cartographer who might be available to help with maps, and I'm sure it'd be helpful to this individual to have an idea of what regions are in the highest demand.

• I vote Rare, just enough to make some of the more impossible creatures possible. (Things like how Dragons can defy physics by flying. assuming there are dragons that can fly.)

Eh. I'll go with the flow on this one.

I'd prefer at least one mountain range to work from. Otherwise I don't care.

• I vote Rare, just enough to make some of the more impossible creatures possible. (Things like how Dragons can defy physics by flying. assuming there are dragons that can fly.)
  • Eh. I'll go with the flow on this one.
  • I'd prefer at least one mountain range to work from. Otherwise I don't care.

I think it'd be neat to have magic that's mainly concentrated in the bodies of a few magical beings, intelligent or otherwise. Maybe magic could be closely connected to life in some way.

I also would like a mountain range--I have a loose concept for a race that would operate from a mountain city. Maybe we could be neighbors?

I think it'd be neat to have magic that's mainly concentrated in the bodies of a few magical beings, intelligent or otherwise. Maybe magic could be closely connected to life in some way.

I also would like a mountain range--I have a loose concept for a race that would operate from a mountain city. Maybe we could be neighbors?

That's sort of what I was going to say—magic users are rare, but magic itself is very much a part of the world. A bit like Roshar, I suppose. 

To join, just state your interest below. Here are a few questions for us to ponder before getting started:

• Will the climate and background ecology resemble that of Earth, or will it be entirely different?
  • What kind of biomes do people want access to? I've contacted a cartographer who might be available to help with maps, and I'm sure it'd be helpful to this individual to have an idea of what regions are in the highest demand.

• Depends, you talked about one region keeping out of another, which I agree with but should there still be some kind of system governing the world as a whole for example like Sel, where we have various different systems, yet all of them are based on symbols and their location or should the magic be more wild and differnet by region. I ask, because my answer to the first question is going to be different depending on the answer.
  • Eh, depends at least partially on the magic we design I'd say, the more internal to the world it is the more different it will be from earth. Personally, I'd tend towards at least not being the same as earth.
  • I can work with just about anything, however I would like to keep this away from the settings I worked on that are still strongly in my mind, so I'd like something that's
  1. Not a rock desert and
  2. Not a gathering of islands.
Edited by Edgedancer

We could probably be Neighbors yes.

This sounds cool and I'd like to join if that's all right.

1) I like abundant magic but if more people prefer rare, that is okay as well. 

2) Somewhat different, at least.

3) I'd like a nice, hot desert to play with.

Please note: Anything stated here is open to negotiation, depending on how it fits in with the world.

Magic: I think everyone's gone with rare here, so I'll go with the flow. Though, at risk of asking a premature question, what kind of magic should it be?

Climate: If we're dividing the world into small chunks, why don't we have a universe where the world has localized weather? So, you could be in a jungle, but walk 50km to the east, and you're in a desert. Potential theory to how this might work... Maybe the abundance of magic in a particular area changes the weather? So, Type A magic in abundance increases temperature/ humidity, while Type B magic decreases temperature/ humidity?

My choice of climate for my chunk: Underground caverns. At risk of being cliched, I think they have a lot of potential. The reason in my head for this at the moment is that the surface was somehow unsafe, maybe from extreme temperatures or something. I read somewhere that deserts get extremely cold by night, while remaining hot by day, so maybe if we magnify that effect?

Also, what era is the tech in this? Or does it depend on the species/ area you're in?

• I like what people are saying about magic being integral to life, but not having very many magic users.
  • I like different. Especially what TheYoungBard said above, I like that.
  • I'm cool with whatever's left over

I like magic, so I'd prefer if there was magic in abundance, but no matter which one we go with I think we need at least some decently hard magic.

A little different, but not completely.

I want a deep, dark, lovely creepy forest.

• I'm good with the idea magic is abundant, but more as something to interact with, more a part of the world, rather than a bunch of magic users. The fundamental mechanics of the magic should be agreed upon before we start creating our own veins and such.
  • Different. What that entails, I don't care, I just don't want an Earth-clone.
  • I'd be interested in a rocky desert region. Ooh, maybe a coastal desert?
If we allow too many different races, I'm worried this thing will explode into chaos... Do we restrict the number of sentient races, implement a multiverse system, or just go for it and see what happens? Edited by Lindel

Hey I would like to join this project as well. 

I think magic should be rare, yet as Twi said an important part of the world itself.

I think deserts are always a good setting. I think making a map would help in the organization and then we should have sub threads maybe for the development of specific regions. 

I think we should all consider racial balancing, like super strong magic using, dragon riding giants aren't "fair" unless they are extremely rare or few in number. I'm just saying that they should be balanced enough that their isn't one race that is certainly "better" than the others

I'm totally in! I'm jealous of who you brought in, I love making maps. Can I please do the maps? (I can upload some of the stuff I've already done if you want proof I'm good at making maps). 

Magic: I agree with rare users, but supporting. 

Biology: Somewhat similar, as if at one point we split on the family tree. (like how Roshar is as if we went down a crustacean based path)

Biomes: I think maybe I'd like plains with huge grasses. Like, taller than usual tall grass, about the size of a tree. 

I agree with Badger about balanced. 

-I think that a magic system based on ancient polytheistic practices would be interesting. Basically, certain elements of nature and society come together as spiritual consciences, and certain bloodlines (including animal bloodlines) are descended from (or created by) these consciences and have a sort of influence over them. There's room for a lot of cultural variation there, I think. It's just a suggestion, though.

-Ooh! Designing new species is fun! I'd go with flora and fauna that are earth-like, but pulled out of context, like giant flatworms, or jellyfish-like creatures that float across the sky catching leaves and insects.

-Archipelagos. Islands give a lot of room for diversity, and I'd love to create different island societies.

There's always the option of going with flora and fauna similar to what Earth had at various points in its prehistory. Depending on which period specifically, this world could have anything from vast swaths of jungle with millions of extinct flowers to mushrooms the size of trees. It wouldn't have to look exactly like Earth did, but prehistoric plants could be an interesting source of inspiration.

Oh, look, I'm late. :P

Anyways...

1. Will magic be abundant or rare in this new world? I'd say I'd want it to be more on the "rare" side, but still fairly common, maybe?
  2. Will the climate and background ecology resemble that of Earth, or will it be entirely different? Whatever. I'd prefer it be somewhat alien, though.
  3. What kind of biomes do people want access to? Mountains. And forests. And caves. :)

I'd love to see what y'all come up with. 

Nothing definitive yet, but here are some personal opinions on my part.

• I like the idea of magic being an intrinsic property of the world that's hard to tap into. I think it would be neat to have various creatures and races with flamboyantly magical properties, but are limited by their biology in how they can use them. (i.e., a dragon could breath fire but could never figure out how to cast an illusion.)

• Ecologically speaking, I'd love to borrow from the prehistoric Earth. Could we have dinosaurs and other extinct megafauna with fantasy-sounding names? Platebacks instead of stegosaurs, crestdrakes instead of dilophosaurs, plunderclaws instead of raptors, etc? Contrary to media this wouldn't limit our large fauna to topical swamps, as there were dinosaurs in every biome imaginable that we could draw from.

We could even give some extinct critters paranormal attributes, like super-potent poisons or firebreath if we're feeling particularly dramatic.

I also love the idea of animals pulled out of context, like Mckeedee's floating jellyfish idea. That one in particular would work really well with the concept I was considering...

• As I expected, people are claiming practically every biome found on Earth, save a polar region. Personally I'd rather have natural transitions between climates as opposed to something magically screwy, simply as neat cookie-cutter biomes strikes me as a tad contrived. I'm open to anything though.

(And to be clear, I'm not claiming any position of authority or moderation in this world. I see this as a democratic project.)

• Where sapient races are concerned, I'm personally in love with the idea of a world popping its seams with unique intelligent races. Would it be chaotic? Abso-sparking-lutely. Would it be entertaining? Speaking from experience, yes.

I will also say that I'm not opposed to a race that's stronger than all the others, as long as it has the majority approval of other creators and doesn't exert too stifling an influence on the rest of the world. For instance, if there were nigh-invincible frost giants living at the North Pole, that could produce interesting results in the southern races as they build great walls and armies to defend themselves from the north. I don't want to set any hard-and-fast rules just yet.

• Technologically speaking, I don't want to set a cap on it, but I think that anything much above Renaissance-era tech would run the risk of putting the world too firmly under the thumb of a single culture, unless all races had modern-day weapons and arsenals. That would run the risk of stifling other players' creativity and vision for the world, however.

I know I'm no biome expert, but I personally think polar regions are underutilized when it comes to magical creatures. Our own poles have some rather bizarre creatures (I'm thinking specifically of leopard seals, though they're certainly not the only ones), and prehistoric Earth had even more. I think the world could be really interesting if the north and south poles were home to strange creatures with truly unique magic.

• Ecologically speaking, I'd love to borrow from the prehistoric Earth. Could we have dinosaurs and other extinct megafauna with fantasy-sounding names? Platebacks instead of stegosaurs, crestdrakes instead of dilophosaurs, plunderclaws instead of raptors, etc? Contrary to media this wouldn't limit our large fauna to topical swamps, as there were dinosaurs in every biome imaginable that we could draw from.

We could even give some extinct critters paranormal attributes, like super-potent poisons or firebreath if we're feeling particularly dramatic.

Wow. Somehow, Twy's dinosaur idea just got even cooler. Love this.

• Where sapient races are concerned, I'm personally in love with the idea of a world popping its seams with unique intelligent races. Would it be chaotic? Abso-sparking-lutely. Would it be entertaining? Speaking from experience, yes.

I've got some pretty decent ideas for that, if we want to make it a thing.

Edited by Mckeedee123

This would be awesome.

I like the idea of taking a more scientific approach to "firebreathing". For example, "dragons" are basically dinosaurs, and rather than literally breathing fire, some species might spit caustic acid.

I'm not opposed to fauna, and/or flora, accessing magic either, but I'd like the magic involved to be less arbitrary.

Edit: Having the magic based around biology might be cool.

Edited by Lindel