The Fallen Heralds

Argent

Vedeledev

Loving, healing, and body focus - the eyes. ??? I've already made the dirty old man guess, I don't want to turn Vev into a concubine. But honestly, I am drawing up to a blank.

I think she's in Taravangian's death room. Her attributes would lead her to the greatest hospital in the world, but when Taravangian doesn't get enough terminally ill people for the death room, he resorts to taking "[T]he forgotten and the lowly. Those who will not be missed." So she can't actually help anyone, since that's just sending others to the death room in the place. The most she can do is comfort the dying.

Her icon is actually on the Szeth / Taravangian chapter, but people recently noticed that Palah's is all over the Shallan chapters because they're in a library named after Palah. So the icon could be for the location not the Herald.

Edited by Morsk

I am holding out hope that not all of them have been corrupted. 

I agree about Nalan and partially agree about Shallash.  I don't think she is outright crazy, I think she hates herself to the point that she can't stand to see herself especially on a pedestal.  I think there is a comment in the Prelude about them all being pretty broken and also a comment from Brandon reiterating that thought.  I don't equate broken with corrupted though.  Being tortured for thousands of years has to take a toll on the psyche but someone people are able to compartmentalize. 

I think there has been discussion that Palah is a woman wandering the streets of Kharbranth.  I was going to look into it more this weekend.

I like the theory. I think you're onto something here Argent. I think Ishar might be with the Shin, and that he has perverted the piety of their people, just a gut feeling. Now if we assume you're theory is correct, the next question would be when were they cursed, and were they cursed by Honor, or as these curses appear to be neurological, perhaps by Cultivation/The Night Watcher. The Heralds betrayal of Honor did lead up to the death of the one she loved after all.

Jezrien told Kalak that everyone would go to different ways and woundn't sought which other, so a kind disagree with the Nalan-Kalak duo. And the Alenthi guy dind't give the right "Kalak vibe" ( he was to whine to subservient).

Said this I think that at least one of the heralds must be a player in this series but i'm not sure that Nalan is the Constable, i don't see anything that show that this "Rosharian Man in Black" is Nalan.

Upvotes for anything else =)

I'm pretty much convinced that the man with the scar is Nalan. Not entirely convinced that the other is Kalak. I believe that over 4500 years, Jezriens instructions would have proven to be ineffective in regards to maintaining separation. We have ten immortals who are bound to find ways to integrate themselves into what remained of the Silver Kingdoms. At first I have no doubt that they had little trouble staying out of each others way, but as populations increased, and the power they held in their spheres of influence increased, they would have found it more than a little difficult to not collaborate in some manner in order to achieve their own ends. Over time, as small groups of them continued to work together, Jezriens instructions would have further degraded to the point where they would regularly meet and discuss their plans with each other. These are the only people who they can really relate to on an individual basis who aren't likely to die off in a few decades.

If the Heralds are indeed cursed as they appear to be, then this too could have been a factor that altered Jezriens initial command.

Darkness appears in some versions of the Jasnah prologue to WoR (not the Seattle reading 10/14/13), so you may want to add that to the OP section on Nalan for completeness.  I share Natans' skepticism about the Nalan=Darkness theory. 

There is an alternate theory about Jezrien: that he is one of Dalinar's officers.  I believe that Ishar is the "Have you seen me?" guy referenced in the Jezrien section of the OP, which fits the OP theory well.  If Jezrien is currently serving the Alethi nobility, it would run counter to the theory. 

I believe the "may he lead in wisdom, if he ever stops drooling." is referring to the new Azish Prime. 

Hmm, it would appear that I indeed have not included Jasnah's interlude in Nalan's section. Though I touch upon it in Shallan's. Will be fixed.

Also, we now know that every single Herald is mentioned or shown somewhere in TWoK. Very interesting. We previously knew that we had seen more than Brandon thought we had guessed, but all of them... that's interesting. I would have to really relax my criteria when I come around to updating this.

EDIT: Fixed the link quote. I still plan to hunt them down...

Edited by Argent

Wetlander: Did we see Palah?

A: I believe every one of the Heralds is mentioned or shown somewhere in the first book.

The specific quote you're referring to.  I just want to make sure it's clear, it doesn't say "seen or shown" it says "mentioned or shown".  This doesn't necessarily mean the same thing as actually seen every herald.

Vedeledev... well, the attributes don't seem to fit at all, but has someone wondered what happened with Gaz? I mean, we have all assumed he's dead (me too, and I still thinking that way), but maybe, and just maybe, he could be... well, something else. I can't see the way he has been corrupted but we don't know a single thing of his past, and he fits with the "corruption" factor you have mentioned in your theory.

I can't even agree with myself, but it's just another possibility on the air.

I think something is going on with Gaz. I think he's alive, but I don't think he's a herald. If the bridgeman herald theory is correct, then I would have to completely disqualify Gaz from being a Herald based on the fact that he was in a position to help a fellow Herald and didn't. Even if this meant that Gaz would have had to leave the camp himself in order to do so.

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=697 JOSEP

Just a nagging question: What happened to Gaz? After some character development he just vanishes in chapter 59 without further explanation. Will he be back on the next books?

BRANDON SANDERSON (GOODREADS)

I'm planning for you to find out what happened to Gaz. There are sufficient clues that you can guess. But it is not explicitly stated, and I'm not going to say it's as obvious as Robert Jordan implied Asmodean's killer is. I was tempted to spell it out explicitly, but there wasn't a good place for it. I will probably answer it eventually, maybe in the next book, but until then you are free to theorize.

I've always thought this implied that Gaz was dead, though it does leave room open for interpretation.

I think he went to one of the bridge crews. He owes people who can make that happen money. He is actually threatened by it, by his superior whom I think Sadeas executed after the side carry.

I'm not going to be surprised if he appears in one of the squads of Kaladin's new army.

Or he's dead.

I think he went to one of the bridge crews. He owes people who can make that happen money. He is actually threatened by it, by his superior whom I think Sadeas executed after the side carry.

I'm not going to be surprised if he appears in one of the squads of Kaladin's new army.

I assumed he was dead, but this would be so much more interesting, so I'm now hoping he becomes a high ranking bridgeman-soldier and makes up for his earlier actions.

While reading the Kalak theory I was reminded of the crazy beggar that Axies the Collector encountered during his interlude. He'd built a town out of rotting vegetables and was playing god over it I think. I'll have to go back and check the passage but I think he'd be a much more amusing fit for Kalak simply because he was firm in his delusions (a perversion of resolute) and still building things even if it was out of trash and easily destroyed (perversion of builder). Of course I have absolutely no proof for that idea it just made me chuckle.

While I like the idea I have wondered if Darkness isn't Nalan and is instead a voidbringer or something else. This is just because I have a little bit of difficulty reconciling Darkness with Nalan considering certain abilities and items used by darkness in the Lift interlude. When the heralds broke the oathpact I sort of assumed they broke all their bonds so even if Nalan picked up the items at a much later date it just strikes me as odd for him to essentially return in terms of power and influence to where he was at the time of the oathpact. Sorry for the vagueness I don't want to explicitly spoil things for those that haven't read the full interlude.

I like it. It fits with the pattern of the curse that may have been placed upon the Heralds. I'm assuming that some of the Heralds were more strongly effected by the curse than others. It also fits the pattern of the curse being something neurological.

I think the Darkness fits the bill. He doesn't have to be wielding an Honorblade. He could have won a Shardblade. He is an immortal warrior. If Kaladin could do it, I don't see why someone with thousands of years worth of combat experience couldn't overcome a Shardbearer, or win a Shard in some way. For all we know Darkness may be both Nalan and Thaidakar. He may work for the church, or some other organization.