Marvel's Agents of Shield

WarHawk

I like the show a lot. The last episode felt more than a little contrived (Ward shows Sky ONE move and she finds herself in the EXACTLY SAME SITUATION in the field? Yea, right...), but other than that I love it. It's fun, it's got Marvel lore, AND it's got Coulson.

The pilot was excellent but the subsequent episodes lost its momentum. Especially the most recent one.... seriously Gravitonium? There were a hundred different ways they could have gone out of their way to make artificial gravity that didn't involve some mysterious element that will never be on the periodic table.

Though the last thre minutes of the second episode with Nick Fury were hillarious... so much for the captain having his fish tank.

I like the show a lot. I'm a HUGE comic book fan (True story, I have about 15,000 comic books) and I'm excited to see further exploration of Marvel's cinematic universe.

I'd like to see more references to established Marvel characters. Daredevil or She-Hulk would be cool as superhero lawyers. Introduce Carol Danvers as a SHIELD pilot. Mockingbird is an easy fit as a highly skilled SHIELD agent.

Darkarma, for what's its worth, Gravitonium was actually an element in the Marvel Universe.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm enjoying the show so far, but I wish they'd do more with character development. Right now it seems like Skye and Coulson are the only people who have anything going for them in that field beyond a couple of superficial traits. Like ... we know that Fitz and Simmons are science types, but what's their motivation? Why are they working for SHIELD? Does the fact that their work may never make it to the world at large bother them, or are they happy with that? I realize we're only a few episodes in, and overall the show's still fun, I just expected a bit more from characters in a Joss Whedon show.

I'm enjoying the show so far, but I wish they'd do more with character development. Right now it seems like Skye and Coulson are the only people who have anything going for them in that field beyond a couple of superficial traits. Like ... we know that Fitz and Simmons are science types, but what's their motivation? Why are they working for SHIELD? Does the fact that their work may never make it to the world at large bother them, or are they happy with that? I realize we're only a few episodes in, and overall the show's still fun, I just expected a bit more from characters in a Joss Whedon show.

Totally agree with this. I normally expect more from Mr Whedon...

The show works as an action adventure show, and the addition of Marvel lore is always going to appeal to the fanboys (like myself).

However, I think they have fallen into the trap of many modern TV shows.

Throwing a group of attractive people together and putting them in 'freak of the week' peril in not by itself interesting.

Agent's of Sheild gets away with this better than most because the backstory established by the Movies gives momentum and gravitas. Although even then I do not think this would have been enough without Coulson who is by far the best character.

I find both Skye and Ward to be very generic and quite dull characters. Fitz and Simmons are more interesting although they are starting to become a bit 'what gadget can I solve the problem with'. May has some potential and the presence of some serious trauma in her backstory has been established. Coulson holds it together bacause the audience knows what has happend to him in Avengers (plus Clark Gregg out acts just about everyone else on the plane!)

I think the TV execs have forgotten why people love the Marvel back catalogue so much.

The movies and comics are interesting because of the dichotomy of the superhero characters:

Iron Man is very weak and vulnerable outside of his suit...

Spiderman is a geeky kid struggleing to make his rent...

Hulk is a pacifist struggling to find his place in the world...

Captain America has trouble reconciling his simplistic idea of good guys and bad guys with the real world...

People relate to the superheroes because they recognise the Human struggles they go thorough, then the supernatural stuff has greater imapct because of the juxtaposition.

All the back story and lore in the world can't compensate for true depth of character with relatable problems. I hope that the characters will go through some proper conflict and struggles as the seriess progresses.

Edited by MadRand

• 6 months later...

I've enjoyed the whole series and never really got any of the complaints, people are just too fussy about some things. I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes next.

One random thought I've had is that the major events of the second half of this season would be a great origin for the next reboot of the Spider-man film series. Peter's parents are SHIELD agents/assets killed during the uprising so in ten years or so Peter is the spider-man of this marvel-verse.

I understand that Xmen, spiderman and MCU are owned by separate cinematic enitities (that won't even let them share some terms, such as the word mutants, very childish) but hey, there's at least ten years to get it sorted.

The Spiderman idea is pretty cool. If Marvel ever gets the rights back for Spiderman they should do that.

Also Quicksilver appeared in the new X-men movie and is planned to appear in the new Avengers movie so hopefully all of them can compromise. Eventually.

Also Quicksilver appeared in the new X-men movie and is planned to appear in the new Avengers movie so hopefully all of them can compromise. Eventually.

Quicksilver is a special case since he is a mutant and Magneto's son which gives Fox the rights to use him but is also a prominent member of the avengers so Marvel also has movie rights to his character. There are only a couple other heroes that fall into such a grey area so I doubt we'll see many crossovers like that until one of the franchise becomes unprofitable for their studios.

It's by no means a compromise, just neither studio could prove absolute ownership of the character.

Edited by Awesomeness Summoned

• 3 months later...

I watched the show.

Emphasis on "-ed". As far as I'm aware, the UK won't be airing season two the way they did season one, so I think I'm going to have to avoid comic book sites and such for the foreseeable future. I want to try and see season two as unspoiled as possible.

I watched the show.

Emphasis on "-ed". As far as I'm aware, the UK won't be airing season two the way they did season one, so I think I'm going to have to avoid comic book sites and such for the foreseeable future. I want to try and see season two as unspoiled as possible.

How did they do it previously?

Should a person use the spoiler tag in this thread?

How did they do it previously?

Should a person use the spoiler tag in this thread?

They aired about a week or two after the US release date, which... actually was kind of weird. Usually, most UK channels will wait until the series is finished, then air them all at once, without the mid-season break most American shows get.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband is convinced that If they let Ward out he'd be perfectly loyal to Skye.

I'm not as convinced.

You're thoughts?

Maybe. Depends in what way Ward went nuts - it could be that he practically worships her, but it could also be that he has adopted an "I know what's best for you" kind of mentality.

Ah, good point. He already had a little of that 'I know what's best for you' idea when he was her CO. He also doesn't seem terribly regretful of any of his actions aside from maybe hurting her a little. I don't think he's ever once said that what he did was wrong.

• 2 weeks later...