If you were an Epic?

Carcinios

Primary power: Knowing anything at will. Not omniscient - I would need to "request" a certain piece of knowledge to acquire it. I could use this for very light future predictions (e.g. "I wonder when the next Solar eclipse will happen..."), but attempting to divine something complicated and convoluted (e.g. "I need to know how and when I am going to die") will fail. Or, rather, it will give me some information, but that information will disappear as soon as one of the (unknown) initial conditions / assumptions changes. Which, considering that the butterfly effect's younger cousin is present in our lives at all times, is pretty much always.

Secondary power: Semi-subconscious mind reading. I instantly know the general direction of everyone's thoughts, as long as they are within a kilometer (I lived most of my pre-Epic life in Europe, your US units are puny) of me. I can also concentrate on any number of people within a direct line of sight and learn their exact thoughts at the moment.

Weakness: Lacking prime invincibility, I rely on my influx of knowledge to protect me from attacks. Those powers, however, fail me if I am in an elevator and the doors are closing.

Name: Infinitum. If it has to be cheesy name, then The Brain.

Costume: Jeans and a geeky/nerdy shirt. Always.

Manifestation of Evil: I despise ignorance, be it real or perceived. I have no tolerance or mercy towards people who refuse to or don't read (by choice), people who believe in ideas proven to be wrong, or people who dislike the pursuit of knowledge.

I just realized I probably won't rule over cities. Which probably suits me, I've always liked the idea of being the person who makes the person in power be, well, powerful.

Edited by Argent

People, not having a prime invincibility doesn't count as a weakness.  That just means you can be killed without your weakness being activated.  Think of the illusionist David and Megan face at the very beginning.  No prime invincibility, and also a weakness to smoke.

Another Epic:

Power:  The first time I touch someone, something happens to them.

Some of my victims:

1st - He teleported 3 feet to the left, and 2 feet upwards.  His clothing did not.

2nd - She turned into a bi-colored python rock snake

3rd - She gained expert juggling skills

4th - He's an Epic.  Now his powers only work when he's standing on 1 foot.  If he holds his nose, his powers double in strength.

5th - She was eaten by an anteater.  It wasn't pretty.

Weakness: people are only affected the first time they're touched.  Also, I have no control over the effect.

Name: Roulette

Costume: I were normal clothing so that I can blend in until I touch someone.

Evil: I am very curious.  Specifically, I am curious about what my touch will do to unsuspecting people.

1) powers would include the ability to create energy based explosions from his body that explode at will. also a large invulnerability to physical types of attacks, though not true invincibility. he would use the explosions mixed with his invulnerability to launch himself like a bullet using smaller blasts to change direction.

2) with his body being denser than normal he can not swim, also he is not immune to electricity or acid. a strong acid will weaken him for regular attacks to affect him. his explosive blasts are powered by his own energy, causing him to have super high metabolism, he must eat to be able to fuel his explosive powers

3) i was thinking meteorite as a name, but given his personality meteorwrong seemed more fitting since bad puns are always fun.

4) he would lack empathy more than be truly evil, he always out to do something big, wether it's trying blast himself to the moon leaving huge creators where he lands, or seeing how large of a creator he can make. hobbies include skyscraper dominos, truck flipping, and cannon ball darts.

5) costume keeps changing since he can never find a material durable enough for his life style.

1) Powers suite would include:

A ) Dominion over animals. No animal would willingly harm him, and he could maintain direct control over two dozen animals.

B ) The ability to mutate any animal.

C ) Regeneration.

D ) The ability to gift control of his animals to others and to gift regeneration to his animals.

E ) Minor elemental resistance. He would be comfortable in any natural temperature extreme.

2) Weakness - Can be slain with a silver tipped arrow. Other silver weapons can slow regeneration.

3) Name - Lord of the Hunt

4) Costume - The Lord of the Hunt would wear furs over his body armor and a medieval helm with stag horns. He would frequent the forests in the northern tier states and Canada.

5) Epic behavior - The Lord of the Hunt travels with a pack of mutated wolves and hunts those who disturb his forests from the back of a mutated stag. He believes he is the Celtic myth reborn, and tries to emulate all of the darker parts of that legend. He lives a nomadic lifestyle and believes in his own superiority. Few know of his existence and live to tell about it. His atrocities are little known because they often occur in isolated locations. He controls several isolated towns in the wilderness by proxy through his huntsmen who each have control of several mutated animals.

Edited by Gloom

Power: When I am near (i.e. about 3-4 meters) books, and I concentrate hard I can become an expert in the topic of those books as if I had spent years studying the contents.  For example, if I sit on a pile of programming books I can become an expert coder.  If I hang around a law school library I can argue case law with the best of them.  If I sit down at a desk of ledgers I can become the ultimate accountant.  As a limitation, I would loose this skill the moment I stop concentrating or lose the proximity to the books.

(Oh, I would also be bulletproof as a secondary power.  Just because.)

Weakness: If I am in range of a book by Brandon Sanderson I loose both my primary and secondary powers.  This obviously leads to a number of very hard choices.

Name: Bookworm.  This fits with the compound noun motif that a lot of epics have.

How my Evilness manifests itself:  My skills are best served for middle management.  Just imagine a boss that is better then you at everything.  You now know how my evil side manifests itself.

Edit:

Costume: I would "dress for the occasion".  If I thought I would be doing accounting, I would wear a sweater vest.  If I was going to be going Engineer work I would wear a button up shirt and slacks.  If I was going to be a judge I would wear judge robes etc.  My one constant would be that every outfit would have thin black stripes on white wherever possible to fit with the book theme.

Edited by MathEpic

Power: Explosions! I could blow up anything that normally blows up in action movies, like cars, dumpsters, or one floor out of an office building.

Weakness: I have a forcefiend, and I can either be protected from one of my explosions, or everything else, but not both at the same time. Watching a really cool explosion can make me laugh uncontrollably and protect myself from explosions. So you could follow me with snipers and kill me when I'm not protected, or keep blowing things up around me to try to make me laugh at them.

Name: sorry, out of ideas for names

Costume: I think I need sunglasses, and overdone spiked hair. And chains, I want some chains.

Evil: I wouldn't seek out people to harm deliberately, but people always seem to be around the cars, crates, or other perfectly explodable items that are just lying about waiting to be exploded. Eventually I'd probably get assassinated by an Epic that takes evil more seriously and found me obnoxious.

I like Boomtown, thanks!

And I don't think this Epic is going to live very long. He sounds like someone that gets killed off early, to prove that someone else is more dangerous.

Edited by Morsk

Well, at least he'll die with a name now. Hate to think of how many epics died before they could come up with a pithy name.

On the other hand, dieing without an Epic name is better than some of the names they did come up with.

Edited by happyman

Primary Power: Generation and control of energy he calls "Rime". The energy consumes fundamental forces (for example, turning off gravity, sapping the kinetic energy of a bullet, or slow time relative to himself). Regardless of the force being consumed, the temperature of anything effected drops drastically. 

Secondary Power: Undeath. He became an Epic when his freshly interred corpse rose from the grave. He can call on other dead spirits and give them form, though they will not necessarily obey him. He is functionally immortal, his undead form will return, if destroyed, with the next snowfall anywhere. Including Neptune.

Weakness: He is lawful, to the point where he cannot act against anyone in the legal right. (Note sentencing him to death wouldn't work because he is already dead, but he would serve several life sentences). This would be severely limiting, but thanks to the Capitulation Act...

Name: Winter

Costume: white clothing, with a half cape and tunic.

*Edit Brand of Evil: His lawfulness works both ways. Heaven help you if you speed near him.

Edited by Rime

1. Primary: perception filter. When active, cannot be sensed via any means by living creatures; not intangible but others do not percieve contact, although they might notice not being able to move through occupied space.

Secondary: teleportation, line of sight, self and possessions only within a modest weight limit

2. Powers are disabled by focusing on any sort of optical illusion or magic eye puzzle

3. Ghostnotice

4. Killing people for making noise while trying to concentrate or sleep

"Ctrl-Alt-Del"

Fragile epickiller.

Primary power - able to temporarily block/turn off the effect of epic abilities, in both others and myself. scope limited by power levels(can hold minor epics or the minor powers of major epics closed off almost indefinately, but the stronger/the larger number of epics/powers the shorter time they can be closed before I´m exhausted. Invincibility powers particulary difficult to turn off.

Sidenote - this means also able to turn off the "evil effect" powers have on others or oneself. This use is not particulary tiring.

Secondary power - Limited use of the powers he is currently blocking.

third - "lifesense" aware of everyone nearby, epics easier to sense than others. Basically, the lifesense you get from alot of breath in warbreaker.

Fourth - "hard drive memory" perfect memory regarding the powers he have seen, and who used them.

Basically, he is almost impossible to defeat by epics, and with a strong epic nearby to leach power from he is incredibly powerful since he´s two main powers work together.

But a simple mortal with a gun is a major issue if there is no epic around to steal abilities from.... 

Edited by dyring

Snapshot:

Abilities:

Super Reflexes

360 degree vision

Perfect Aim (even to the point of being able to shoot incoming bullets out of the air).

Weaknesses:

Weak to Sensory Overload. Too many things going on around him causes him to react like a Tin Burner does to the same thing. This is more a logical reaction than an actual Epic's Weakness.

Epic Weakness: When around an inactive (intentionally and permanently disabled, not just unused) or toy firearm, loses all powers. Yes, he can be killed by someone holding a water gun. 

Epic Brand of Evil: Anything that remotely startles him, even just something moving unexpectedly nearby, gets shot. Anyone that comes too close, and moves to touch him, even accidentally, gets shot.

*Always introduces himself with the Halo Announcers way of saying Snapshot, also says this when he kills someone*

Edited by Cartith

Primary Powers: Control over any metal object, control other people's emotions,  sense the use of other Epic powers, conceal his own power usage from similar abilities. Can create stationary time-dilation fields, as well as see the past and future of himself and others. Seeing other's futures alone makes him nearly invincible against anyone without precognitive abilities.

Secondly powers: Can draw upon nigh-unlimited stores of any human attribute. This results in a Prime Invincibility, he can heal from any wound and doesn't age.

Weakness: His source of power is the metal bracers on his forearms, without them he is virtually powerless. Also, aluminum blocks many of his abilities.

Name: The Sliver of Infinity

Epic Evil: Rules as a living deity, slaughtering any who challenge him, but mostly remains aloof from the common affairs of his Empire.

Wait...this sounds really familiar.

Sorry to double-post, but I actually came up with my own Epic.

Primary Power: Sonic projections. He can create virtually any sound within earshot of himself. He can and does use this offensively to fire massive concussion waves, but he uses it primarily to create super-epic-awesome theme music wherever he goes. This makes for very dramatic entrances and fight scenes.

Secondary Power: Super-reflexes, almost precognition, with correspondingly enhanced physical attributes. This makes him nearly invincible, and he can preform nearly any physical feat simply because it looks cool, in fact, his powers are dependent on this. The "cooler", more exciting, or epic the scenario, the stronger his abilities get. Correspondingly, the less epic the scenario, the weaker. This is somewhat of a weakness, a fully armed and armored military is doomed to lose against him, but he is limited to near-human capacity against a crippled old lady. This is why he always projects his own theme music, it gives him a minimum threshold of coolness.

(This power probably also prevents him from dying of old age, since aging is not very epic or exciting.)

Weakness: Other then the limit on his secondary powers, he cannot eat spinach. Merely tasting it makes him lose his sonic projection powers, actually swallowing it makes his other abilities stop working as well. This persists until the spinach has completely passed through his system.

Name: Cinema

Epic Evil: He thinks of pretty much everything as an action movie. He views almost everyone as an extra: only there to get in the way and be killed. He doesn't go out of his way to kill innocents (he actually thinks he's a super hero), but he is quite willing to let people get killed if they slow down the action. It takes a lot to become a "major character" in his mind.

Costume: A black mistcoat (just 'cause) with matching fedora.

Edited by Serendipity

Ya know, I don't think I want to be a High Epic. this scene is looking dangerous. I'll take lesser powers, please :D

Main power: Noise/Sound Manipulation and Generation. So can basically control all noise around me, good for distractions or disorienting
Secondary/Passive ability: Whenever I'm in danger, or anybody means to do me harm, my body automatically generates a dense smoke, with no visibility, with a "Soothing" type power, that calms everybody down and makes them lethargic.

my weakness: The smoke doesn't work if I'm hungry.
My name: Woodstock
Costume: Patchy, hippy pants with tons of hidden pockets, and a Mexican Serape. Sometimes I wear goofy hats.

I can also be detected by a faint scent of patchouli when nearby.

Oh yeah, the Epic Evil: I will sometimes go on crazy sprees blasting incredibly loud noises that reach very high decibels and can make nearby people go deaf, if not more permanent damage. I usually aim for large crowds when I go on these sprees.

Edited by Gamma Fiend

• 3 months later...

1. What would your power/secondary power be?

Primary power would be the ability to alter a targets temperature, specifically to raise it to its flashpoint. Secondary power is a defensive ability that transforms my own body into a human shaped cloud of ash capable of self propulsion.

2. What is your weakness?

My primary power is countered by carrying a piece of charcoal and required concentration to function.

My secondary is hampered by strong winds and cancelled if large parts are separated by more than an arms length.

3. What is your cheesy name?

Ashbringer or pyre

4. In what way does your inevitable evil manifest itself (why do ordinary people really hate you?)

I tend to be generally apathetic towards the huddled masses, seeing them only as a source of amusement when I am bored (random acts of mischief and mayhem to watch them run away)

A description of your costume would be fun as well.

When physical I would wear goth style fat pants(the ones with all the chains) and a hooded longcoat

Primary power: time manipulation. Specifically, I can compress or stretch time, similar to cadmium or bendalloy in Alloy of Law. However, I'm not limited at all by this, so I could theoretically blink and end up stopping time or fast forwarding hundreds of years. My max range for this power is fifty feet around me, so I could probably bring a whole room with me, but definitely not the entire planet. I'd be nearly invincible, because I can just pause time and walk around the attack. Of course, this doesn't work when I'm startled, so I'd have to know that the attack was coming.

Secondary power: manipulation of my age. Since it would suck if I decided to compress time to fast forward to the future and I aged accordingly, this way I would be forever young (cue the song...). I can't de-age to heal from wounds or injuries, though. It's almost purely for cosmetic and comfort purposes. No arthritis or osteoporosis, yay!

Weakness: My powers vanish when I come into proximity with a broken clock. The perception of "time" is broken, so my powers disappear. My powers will weaken if the clock is merely faster or slower than actual time. How much I will weaken depends on how off the clock is: being off by only a few seconds or minutes is negligible, while being off by hours is very bad.

Cheesy name: Timeshift

Villainous Tendencies: Because of my ability to never grow old, I would make old people's lives suck. This would extend to killing them, making them live in slums, and just being plain bratty to them. Also, I would troll people by making them age rapidly and de-aging myself, then laughing at them. I would also insist that clocks be established in every home, to remind people of my power.

Costume would be a dark blue longcoat with brown leather boots. I'd have a clock pendant on a gold chain, used to tell the time from my perspective. Given my weakness, it would have to function perfectly and be precisely on time.

Edited by Chrono

1. my body is a silvery, metallic liquid which I have full control over. I can choose how to color it; meaning shapeshifting is a possibility, but I prefer to just go in and kill everything with Terminator 2 style knife hands.

2. Optimism. I can be hurt by someone who is sure they can beat me. Also, I can have parts of me blasted off by energy-based weapons and Epic powers.

3. Quicksilver.

4. I enjoy disguising myself as a friend or relative of a person, gaining their trust, and then killing them.

A little backstory-

I was called Oilspill and was an Epic in Chicago before the Great Transfersion. Back then I was made of black, oily liquid, and I had very little control over how I shaped my body besides its original shape. The Great Transfersion transmuted my body into another kind of liquid, giving me the powers I have now.

Superspeed vibrations within a radius of about 4 feet and conditional invincibility; I don't ignore friction and air resistance - I can just throw enough energy into the equation to negate it, and the invincibility protects me from the forces I throw around; I can move quickly enough to make a nuclear explosion for example. My invincibility can't protect me from solid objects, however, though I spend most of my time vibrating at a rate that knocks bullets away. This manifests as a loud roar around me, punctuated with flashes of light and things spontaneously shattering. I leave crumbled ground behind me when it's on.

My weakness is extreme claustrophobia. If I'm in any building, even a stadium, without an open ceiling, my powers turn off. For this reason, I never get near a city if I can help it. If I can't help it, I blow it up.

My name is Burnout. Before Calamity, I was a fairly successful ex-Navy architect. I served in a nuclear submarine during my years of service, then went back to college for residential architecture.