• Announcements

• Chaos

Oathbringer Spoiler Policy   11/13/2017

Oathbringer is out! Let's make our policy on spoilers clear! 1. You must preface topics with Oathbringer spoilers with the prefix [OB] in the front 2. You are only allowed to post spoilers and spoiler topics in the Oathbringer Spoiler Board, Cosmere Theories, and some select work-related forums. 3. For posts in the Oathbringer Spoiler Board you do not need to use spoiler tags inside a topic marked [OB]. For Cosmere Theories, you also do not need to put spoiler tags inside your topic if the topic has [OB] in the title. However, for Cosmere Theories, if you are adding Oathbringer stuff to an old theory without the [OB] tag, those must go in spoiler tags and you must make it obvious outside the spoiler tag that the spoiler is regarding Oathbringer content. 4. For select things that do require talking about OB spoilers, in Events, Coppermind, and Arcanum forums, those are allowed but keep OB spoilers in spoiler tags 5. Avoid and minimize spoilers in topic titles--even though those two boards will not appear in the Recent Topics ticker, topic titles still appear in Recent Activity and the forum home.  6. You aren't allowed to post Oathbringer spoilers in places other than listed, even with spoiler tags.  It will be nine months and then the Oathbringer board will be re-merged with the Stormlight board and you will not need to tag these spoilers. If you'd like to move something in the Stormlight Archive board to the Oathbringer board, to update it with new Oathbringer information, Report the post and we will happily move it to the Oathbringer spoiler board. Part-by-part Reactions Though the Oathbringer Spoiler Board will be very spoilery, very fast (maybe don't come there until you've read the book, as people do have copies that bookstores sold early), you'll have these five topics for reactions if you want to nerd out: Part 1 Reactions
      Part 2 Reactions
      Part 3 Reactions
      Part 4 Reactions
      Full Book Reactions For parts 1-4, they will not include the interludes immediately following it. On Discord All Oathbringer spoilers on Discord will be exclusively in the #oathbringer_spoilers channel for the nine month spoiler period and nowhere else.
Chaos

Espoused Theories

36 posts in this topic

I don't understand. What do you mean by "assuredness movement"?

EDIT: Found it. Yeah, I can see that. I'm okay with that.

Yeah I don't have the same veiws as Shallan on the AM but I can see why they do it that way, when I'm reading one of your theories I feel more naturally inclined to accept it because of the way you present it, it's kinda cool.

Seeing as how a lot of theories have been proved or disproved with WoR (such as The Identity of the Man Kaladin Killed), I guess that we should clear out some of the theories in our signatures now? Or perhaps there should be a separate line for Proven Theories.

I've been interested in this, and I've found that the Espoused Theory sigs are the only way to find a lot of great theories and information. I've gone ahead and drawn a bit of a proposal up to improve the system, make sure things don't get buried and make it easier to write them by migrating them to the wiki.

Check it out here.

I've updated my sig with all the new theories I've long espoused. And this is after I removed old theories that are essentially canonical...

Ah, I'd forgotten to update mine as well.

5. Format it like so:

[b]Espoused Theories:[/b] [url=insertlinkhere]Theory #1 Name[/url], etc.
It's not a perfect system, but let's try it for now. The obvious problem involves when we have a ridiculous amount of theories. It's not a problem now, but it could be later.

What do you think of this idea? Have any ideas to make it run more smoothly?

hm, the code doesn't seem to work for me, or is there something wrong?

I think Odiums power is to currupt the essence of other shards.Such as voidspren being of Honor but corrupted.

Hey guys!!! Kinda recent to the forum, and I really like this idea, even if it has kinda died. So, I have an alternate idea for espousing theories:

People post theories normally, and have discussion on them. Once the people in the discussion start to come to a general consensus, the author (or one of the most active debaters on the conversation) would then write a summary of the theory, which would be placed in the main post, along with the original post.

Then there would be one of those stack exchange style thread where authors put well polished Theories that are ready to be espoused. Any major revisions to a theory would be posted there, as well as if a theory becomes cannon.

Then if someone wants to espouse a theory, they post the link to the original post in their signature, and upvote the post in the hub thread. This would make it easier to keep track of how many people are espousing which theories.

Or you could do something like the cosmere questions thread where you can up or down vote without using any of your 16.

1 minute ago, FiveLate said:

Or you could do something like the cosmere questions thread where you can up or down vote without using any of your 16.

That's essentially what I meant when I said "one of those stack exchange style thread"

Oh, just was not familiar with that term.