Interview and 2 new readings!

Miyabi

I've finished the transcribing the interview.

So many things...

I'm surprised he didn't just RAFO the atium/worldhopping question and I'm shocked to find out the Lord Ruler did not use lerasium...

I'm a little bummed that he didn't answer my seon question but to be fair it wasn't particularly clear.  I should have phrased it as "When King Raoshem settled in Elantris and made it his capital, did seons exist?"  Also he wasn't clear on whether he was RAFOing or PAFOing the calender question...

Terriswoman worldhopper... I wonder if she is Demoux's wife/lover-person-thing.

And it is real bummer that we won't get the annotations for a long time but oh well...

I'm going to doublepost here.

There were a couple questions asked off recording while we were eating:

Is Hoid's sword in WoK Nightblood?

That's a really good question, but no it isn't.

Can Hoid hear the Shards?

He can't necessarily hear them all the time, but he has interacted with them all and knows them all personally.

I tried really hard to get him to answer the Seon question, I really did! xD

Yes, thank you for that.  I don't want to sound ungrateful 'cause I totally am.  Tons of great information in the interview.  But I would not have clarified like you did, but I didn't really give you much information on what I was asking so mea culpa.

I've got a question I've been saving for the Houston signing. I will try to get there early enough to record the Q&A (if there is one, though there probably will be).

Also, in the interview transcript, the Resealing question got PAFO'd instead of RAFO'd. Is there a difference, or was that a typo?

He can't necessarily hear them all the time, but he has interacted with them all and knows them all personally.

When he says all, we are talking about Sazed too, aren't we?

I mean, this may sound quite stupid, but this means that Sazed has to be substantially more Cosmere aware in "Alloy of law" than when he became Harmony.

Edit: Thank you so much for asking those questions.

Edited by Gaelan

I would imagine it was 2 for sure. Though it may have even just been something off scene during the trilogy. There are many times when Hoid is lurking about doing this or that and he may have come across Sazed at some point.

As Shardlet mentions he probably just took time to meet him after. Probably hung out after the end of Hero and was like, "Hey God! So uhm, yeah, I know how your power works. Sup?" lol

Ooh, what a wonderful interview. Tons of awesome answers, and a confirmation that Baxil's mistress is Shalash. <3

Wait, what?  How does Shalash being confirmed to be Jezrien's daughter confirm that Shalash is Baxil's mistress?  Sure this gives further evidence to tie the epigraph, Shalash, and Baxil's mistress together.  But I don't think this adds up to a complete confirmation.

Edited by Shardlet

Wait, what?  How does Shalash being confirmed to be Jezrien's daughter confirm that Shalash is Baxil's mistress?  Sure this gives further evidence to tie the epigraph, Shalash, and Baxil's mistress together.  But I don't think this adds up to a complete confirmation.

How much are you willing to bet that Baxil's mistress isn't Shalash? :D I'm willing to give you 10000:1 odds on imaginary betting points. (Actually, this gives me a thread idea...)

Anyways, perhaps calling it 'confirmation' is a bit extreme, but even so, merely predicting that he would say yes to the question gives me strong evidence that it's right - strong enough to be called certain, at this point.

Evidence:

• Epigraph saying "Daughter of kings and winds, the vandal".
  • Shalash is Jezrien's daughter. Jezrien was once a king, and lead the Windrunners.
  • Missing Shalash statue during Gavilar's assassination.
  • Baxil's mistress has eyes like a Radiant, and is a vandal.

I mean, at some point, you just have to admit that there's basically no reasonable chance a theory is wrong (like Shallan's brother being the Shardbearer who attacked Amaram), and Brandon's answer to the question on Shalash was that point for me.

Edited by Moogle

Is Hoid's sword in WoK Nightblood?

That's a really good question, but no it isn't.

WOWWWW !!!! That question is kind mine. I don't know if  a asked because of this topic http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/3722-theory-hoid-nightblood-roshar , but anyway thank you very much kind sir, because I aprecieted very much the gesture =)

Now I owe you a drink !!!!!

I also believe that Shalash is Baxil's mistress.  I also agree that the quote brings us really close to confirmation.  Though the likelihood is rather low, there are other possibilities which are not that great of a stretch. 

As a side note: I don't think we are anywhere near as close to confirmation or absolute surety that Kaladin killed Shallan's brother.  There is some compelling evidence, sure.  But I don't think it is that strong.  Personal assuredness is, of course, perfectly wonderful.  But it is not the same thing as fact or confirmation.

Though the likelihood is rather low, there are other possibilities which are not that great of a stretch. 

Out of curiosity, what are they? It's perfectly possible that Brandon has been throwing red herrings left and right is trying to trick us on Shalash, but the chances are so low that as to be negligible.

Personal assuredness is, of course, perfectly wonderful.  But it is not the same thing as fact or confirmation.

That's fair, though I would hardly call it personal assuredness at this point. The evidence is basically winking suggestively while holding a gigantic glowing sign saying "Shallan's brother tried to kill Amaram!". Same with Shalash. Both theories should be considered true with a greater than 50% probability at this point, pending any reasonable alternate explanations which explain why Shalash's statues are mysteriously disappearing all over. I don't think we really disagree on this, it was just my poor use of 'confirmed'. I apologize!

That's fair, though I would hardly call it personal assuredness at this point. The evidence is basically winking suggestively while holding a gigantic glowing sign saying "Shallan's brother tried to kill Amaram!". Same with Shalash. Both theories should be considered true with a greater than 50% probability at this point, pending any reasonable alternate explanations which explain why Shalash's statues are mysteriously disappearing all over. I don't think we really disagree on this, it was just my poor use of 'confirmed'. I apologize!

I agree about Shalash, but I am less certain about Shallan's brother. I haven't been following that theory of late, but last I checked, the evidence amounted to Shallan's Veden brother died, and the man who tried to kill Amaram was also Veden and also died. Have I missed some other developments? Because all the evidence I can think of right now is mostly circumstantial.

On another topic: what's our policy when we get PAFO's? Does someone PM Peter, or is it just a matter of waiting for another opportunity to ask Brandon/Peter at a signing?

I think a good idea would be for original PAFO receiver to PM Peter once, then, if no answer is forthcoming, ask about at another opportunity - preferably Peter directly. Just IMO, of course.

I agree about Shalash, but I am less certain about Shallan's brother. I haven't been following that theory of late, but last I checked, the evidence amounted to Shallan's Veden brother died, and the man who tried to kill Amaram was also Veden and also died. Have I missed some other developments? Because all the evidence I can think of right now is mostly circumstantial.

Here's an old writeup I did on the evidence:

There was that matter of the strange collection of maps they'd found his study. What did they mean? He'd rarely spoken of his plans to his children. Even her father's advisors knew very little. Helaran--her eldest brother--had known more, but he had vanished over a year ago, and her father had proclaimed him dead.

Shallan's father was a member of the Ghostbloods. Even her father's advisor - the steward who was also a member of the Ghostbloods -- didn't know more than Helaran. That implies he was in heavy with his father, which probably means he was in the Ghostbloods.

ONE YEAR AGO

There--bearing down through the soldiers on a horse the color of death itself--was an impossibility.

The man wore shining golden armor. Perfect golden armor.

-Kaladin scene with the Shardbearer attacking Amaram, which happened one year ago, the time when Shallan's brother was missing for a short while then declared dead.

"...why Thaidakar would risk this?" Amaram was saying, speaking in a soft voice. "But who else would it be? The Ghostbloods grow more bold. We'll need to find out who he was. Do we know anything about him?"

"He was Veden, Brightlord," the stormwarden said. "Nobody I recognize. But I will investigate."

Shallan is Veden. Ergo, her brother would be Veden. The Shardbearer who attacked Amaram was Veden and unknown. Shallan's family is rural, and thus their appearances would not be readily recognized.

Again, it's not certain, but you basically have to propose Brandon is attempting to trick us with red herrings here.

If that doesn't convince you, I don't think anything will short of a direct book confirmation. :D

Edited by Moogle

I bet if we counted up the number of rural Veden men who died around a year before, you'd end up with a few dozen at least. I simply don't think it's nearly as ironclad as Shalash seems to be.

But how many rural Veden men were Ghostbloods who we knew had access to Shards? Shards are incredibly rare, although Alethkar and Jah Keved do have more. Shallan's father, or someone close to him, undoubtedly had one, which is why Helaran likely had Shards. How else would Shallan have gotten her hands on a Shardblade?

Edited by Moogle