SA Fanfic

ivoryblade

There is nearly nothing and most of what you will find is either humorist or none canon ship oriented, stuff like Kaladin/Renarin or Kaladin/Adolin or Kaladin/Adolin/Shallan/Renarin.....

If this is your cup of tea, then you'll find some. If you are looking for something more serious following the main story arc, there's nothing to be found. 

Yeah well most of these fit within what I have said... humorist, alternate universe or non-canon shipping. I very rarely stumble on one I actually like.

I agree Feather was basically one of the only ones who tried to write fiction standing within canon, but they are outdated. It's worth reading though. The one with the guy running bridges was good too. 

I tried to write one, but it has been stalled for a while now. I am unsure how to push it forward and I probably won't ever publish it (I don't want people not to like it), though it is quite lengthy as far as fictions go (but far from finished).

Yeah fanfic is fairly uncommon here on the forums (which is understandable since we tend to be more on the curative side of fandom whereas fanfic is more a transformative thing, which is why you find it more on tumblr).  As The MalhamBrid said, Archive of Our Own is probably a good place to look.  I'd also recommend adonalsium.tumblr.com's Fanfic tag, as Feather is pretty good at collecting everything posted on tumblr (though that link is all Brandon-related fanfic, not just Stormlight stuff).

I wonder why there is so little fanfiction of SA as a whole? Because I went looking for FF too...

I have a theory about it I'd like to share. That is that fanfiction always tries to fill a hole that is left open by canon. And the original SA is detail-oriented, introspective and even shippy, that leaves not many holes open to fill for fanfiction. Particularly the character introspection and flashbacks. That‘s often what FF does, examine character‘s hearts into their depths - but with SA we have almost a guarantee that that is going to happen in canon anyway. No need to do it in FF. That would also explain why most FF is humorous. There is plenty humour in SA but in tone it is a serious series.

@Maxal I for one would love to read that fanfiction of yours. I‘m guessing it is about Adolin‘s future? I‘ve read this forum and few seem have a grasp of the character like you have. You made him shoot up in my esteem from boring, 'fast-reading the POV' to one of the favorites. And since we have so few SA fanfiction anyway, I‘m sure I‘m not the only one who‘d really like to read it :)

I wonder why there is so little fanfiction of SA as a whole? Because I went looking for FF too...

I have a theory about it I'd like to share. That is that fanfiction always tries to fill a hole that is left open by canon. And the original SA is detail-oriented, introspective and even shippy, that leaves not many holes open to fill for fanfiction. Particularly the character introspection and flashbacks. That‘s often what FF does, examine character‘s hearts into their depths - but with SA we have almost a guarantee that that is going to happen in canon anyway. No need to do it in FF. That would also explain why most FF is humorous. There is plenty humour in SA but in tone it is a serious series.

@Maxal I for one would love to read that fanfiction of yours. I‘m guessing it is about Adolin‘s future? I‘ve read this forum and few seem have a grasp of the character like you have. You made him shoot up in my esteem from boring, 'fast-reading the POV' to one of the favorites. And since we have so few SA fanfiction anyway, I‘m sure I‘m not the only one who‘d really like to read it :)

You can PM me, I'll send you what I have. Beware though, I am French and this is by far the most complex thing I have ever written in English (there may be some grammar mistakes). I am certainly not a writer nor do I have the aspiration to become one. This started as a project on a bored day and it grew, though I am stuck in chapter 12. 

Yeah, it's about what happens next. The story starts the morning after Sadeas was killed. Adolin is not the only POV character in the story, there are others, though not Kaladin: he's gone to Heartstone.

You can PM me, I'll send you what I have. Beware though, I am French and this is by far the most complex thing I have ever written in English (there may be some grammar mistakes). I am certainly not a writer nor do I have the aspiration to become one. This started as a project on a bored day and it grew, though I am stuck in chapter 12. 

Yeah, it's about what happens next. The story starts the morning after Sadeas was killed. Adolin is not the only POV character in the story, there are others, though not Kaladin: he's gone to Heartstone.

Okay, pming you. I don‘t mind any grammar mistakes, I‘m German myself and I also make some.

• Chaos locked this topic