Can anyone become a Radiant?

ivoryblade

I believe that was a special case: Dalinar was already a proto-radiant with a weak bond to the Stormfather, and he was compatible with the bondsmiths. Plus, maybe Honor implanted an order into the Stormfather's mind before dying: find a bondsmith. We know he couldn't refuse to deliver the visions, so it is not a stretch for him to be unable to ignore the Words.

I believe that was a special case: Dalinar was already a proto-radiant with a weak bond to the Stormfather, and he was compatible with the bondsmiths. Plus, maybe Honor implanted an order into the Stormfather's mind before dying: find a bondsmith. We know he couldn't refuse to deliver the visions, so it is not a stretch for him to be unable to ignore the Words.

May I ask what you mean by ‘proto-radiant’?

A typical 17th shard definition of proto-radiant is a person with a) the ability to somehow bind surges/use stormlight or b ) in a symbiotic relationship with a radiant spren or c) the right mental attitude for a radiant order or d) any combination, variation or derivation of this. Important point: not spoken any ideals (as far as known), because then the used term is level-x-radiant (what does not make much in-book sense - a radiant has to speak all the ideals to become one - but is precise enough)

Edited by Alfa

Since Dalinar practically forced the Stormfather to have a bond with him, does that mean that anyone who has been sufficiently broken and acquainted with a spren can become a Radiant? Anyone can demand a bond?

Well, anybody who can't commit to the First Ideal definitely can't become a Radiant, and there will be some who will disagree with parts of it at least in the series.

I also imagine that the ten orders probably between them have specific enough requirements that many of the people who could swear the First ideal couldn't become Knights. Some of these might be the auxilary surgebinders mentioned in the in-universe Words of Radiance, but I imagine there's others who could agree with the First Ideal but for reasons relating to their personality or personal history, can't fit in with any of the orders or their requirements for auxiliaries.

I also imagine that the ten orders probably between them have specific enough requirements that many of the people who could swear the First ideal couldn't become Knights. Some of these might be the auxilary surgebinders mentioned in the in-universe Words of Radiance, but I imagine there's others who could agree with the First Ideal but for reasons relating to their personality or personal history, can't fit in with any of the orders or their requirements for auxiliaries.

You know, I wonder if this wasn't like the 'Calling' in Vorin doctrine? I mean, already in contemprary Roshar you have a religion telling people to pick one thing they want to do and dedicate your life to it, and it's not much of a stretch that people maybe did the same when the Radiants were around - try to hone the one skill that would get them in the Order they wanted to join. It's not that hard for people to train yourself to approach the world in a certain way/ cultivate certain abilities. If it was common knowledge what traits it took to become a Radiant, I can see people trying to mold their way of thinking to fit the Order they wanted to join.

• Chaos locked this topic