Potential Worldhoppers

Patar

We have seen several  Worldhoppers throughout the Cosmere, and Brandon has stated that there are more that we don't know about. I kind of want to do some speculation on who same potential Worldhoppers might be, or take a guess on people who might become Worldhoppers in the future.

For people who may become Worldhoppers in the future, my number one choice right now is Marsh. As of AoL, he has been around for a few hundred years, and is extremely powerful. I believe it was stated that he can communicate with Harmony (correct me if I'm wrong) who is at least somewhat aware of the events going on in the Cosmere. Could Harmony have imparted some of this knowledge onto Marsh? Does Marsh know of Hoid? Is he aware that Demoux, who assisted his friends, is alive and a Worldhopper? My only problem with this is that I'm not sure how much Marsh would care about other worlds, he is more invested in Scadrial. Perhaps he could be investigating for Harmony?

I would also like to believe that TenSoon could become a Worldhopper, but that is highly unlikely since he is currently disguised as Brettin.

So any thoughts? Who do you guys think could become a Worldhopper?  

Well, let's think this through. What possibilities are there?

Mistborn:

- Demoux: Confirmed, 17th Shard

- Spook: Unlikely. Must have been pretty busy raising all those kids!

- Marsh: See above, seems unlikely that he could pass in other cultures.

- Breeze: Seems to have been busy starting a noble house.

Not sure I can think of any other likely candidates we knew off the top of my head.

We'll skip Alloy for now, as we should probably wait to see who survives events.

Elantris:

- Galladon: Confirmed, 17th Shard

- Raoden: Probably a bit busy being king.

- Honestly, probably any other elantrian could be a worldhopper if they want, they'd just need to sort out how to get their powers to function away from Elantris, especially as AonDor allows for pretty decent means of disguise.

Warbreaker:

- Vasher: Confirmed, posing as an ardent.

- Vivenna: Seems entirely plausible, depending on events in Nightblood, of course.

- Susebron: Unlikely, too busy being King.

- Siri: Unlikely, displayed no interest in Awakening.

(Plus already confirmed Worldhoppers from the Yolen (Dragonsteel series) and Taldain (White Sand), currently gives us five shardworlds that are possibly involved in worldhopping events as of the Stormlight Archive)

And the short story worlds universally don't seem to have strong enough magic to allow for worldhopping at this time.

I'm sure I haven't gone over the minor characters well enough either. We'd probably need a much better account of who the relevant awakeners and elantrians are. Demoux is an interesting case as his particular power wouldn't seem to lend him any ability to worldhop on his own, which might suggest either hemalurgy or some other means of altering his sDNA or enabling travel between worlds, which could mean you don't even need any particular powers, in which case the calculation then becomes one of motivation and availability.

Edited by Ari

What's interesting about Demoux is the fact that he's not dead from old age. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Stormlight Archive and Alloy of Law take place at around the same time, making Demoux a few hundred years old.

The other worldhoppers we know about have ways to live indefinitely. This leads me to believe Demoux may somehow be at least an atium compounder, but then how does he have enough atium for that to matter?

Does anyone know why Demoux is still alive?

What's interesting about Demoux is the fact that he's not dead from old age. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Stormlight Archive and Alloy of Law take place at around the same time, making Demoux a few hundred years old.

The other worldhoppers we know about have ways to live indefinitely. This leads me to believe Demoux may somehow be at least an atium compounder, but then how does he have enough atium for that to matter?

Does anyone know why Demoux is still alive?

He does not need to be a compounder. Perhaps the sevententh shard puts its non-ageless agents in time bubbles or cryogenic sleep when they are not needed but are deemed too valuable to retire and die from old age. Of course, it would need some very good arguments to convince their agents to go through this. Edited by CognitivePulsePattern

He does not need to be a compounder. Perhaps the sevententh shard puts its non-ageless agents in time bubbles or cryogenic sleep when they are not needed but are deemed too valuable to retire and die from old age. Of course, it would need some very good arguments to convince their agents to go through this.

Especially Demoux. I mean, he had the ultimative happy end: hero of the Atium-fight, has one of the highest political-military positions, has found the love of his life, survived the final ascension, got even a ruindamned Promenade named after him. And don't forget, he saw the prophecys of his religion fullfilled. I think the arguments had to be extraordinarily good to go to cryosleep...

Yes, and I believe he is at least very slow aging. I just believe there can be other explanations.

Yeah, I'm sure you could use a strong enough time bubble to store people for relevent events to help, (especially with access to some of the machines Brandon has hinted at from Southern Scadrial, if you didn't have the relevant type of Misting needed) even if they're not a compounder.

There are certainly ways to slow aging significantly just from the metallic arts. But as far as we know, the only long-term solutions involving the metallic arts would require Hemalurgy for most 17th Shard agents, excepting natural atium compounders, and I wonder if they would consider that an acceptable price to pay. Vasher has a potential solution in using Stormlight to remain Returned, but we have WoB that this method is a very difficult solution to apply to agents not from Nalthis. I suspect there's at least one additional way to achieve practical agelessness in the Cosmere, and that this will be the method Hoid uses, as it needs to be practical for indefinite use, (as Hoid has probably exceeded the time-limit implicit in Atium compounding) and practical for people from other Shardworlds to acquire, unless it's a system from Yolen.

While I'd expect 17th Sharders mostly utilise their own magic systems whenever practical, there'd certainly be benefits for everyone in figuring out how to convert types of investiture and allow people to use many different systems.

I would also like to believe that TenSoon could become a Worldhopper, but that is highly unlikely since he is currently disguised as Brettin.

How do you know this? Is it confirmed?

This has indeed been confirmed by WOB:

FEJICUS

Is Officer Brettin Tensoon at the end of the book?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes. (He let on during the signing that TenSoon made an appearance, and my friend Joe guessed it was Brettin, and Brandon confirmed it then later to us) 

source

OP, just because TenSoon in Alloy of Law is currently Brettin does not mean that he can't be a worldhopper. We do know that there is a kandra worldhopper out there. Maybe Harmony will send Ten Soon off planet in future books or already has? Maybe he'll go on his own accord?

Edited by Titan Arum

On the subject of Demoux, has anyone considered the possibility he might be a Sliver of Harmony? He could simply have been imbued with more power by Sazed after his Ascension in order to be one of his agents. Perhaps Harmony is directly keeping him young with the power of Preservation to fulfill his interests.

On the subject of Demoux, has anyone considered the possibility he might be a Sliver of Harmony? He could simply have been imbued with more power by Sazed after his Ascension in order to be one of his agents. Perhaps Harmony is directly keeping him young with the power of Preservation to fulfill his interests.

Possible but unlikely to me.

I think that Demoux could use his Atium-misting power to WorldHope.

Brandon stated that the foresight-like ability need a way to the Cognitive Ream to work and probably one of the Atium-alloy allow to access to the CR with flesh and blood.

PS: The fact that a Seer could burn all the atium-alloy is only a theory of mine, but the presence of Demoux on Roshar strenghten this theory to me.

. . . not sure why any of the atium alloys should have that capability.

Electrum are said to allow for cognitive realm perception at absurdly high amounts of allomantic power in the same WoB, the barrier is just harder to breach.

The only atium alloy we've seen literally just projects gold shadows of other people instead of yourself. Nothing uniquely cognitive-tied about it. There's no reason to believe anything but a temporal metal would cause this effect, and it's debatable if gold even could since it wasn't mentioned.

Possible but unlikely to me.

I think that Demoux could use his Atium-misting power to WorldHope.

Brandon stated that the foresight-like ability need a way to the Cognitive Ream to work and probably one of the Atium-alloy allow to access to the CR with flesh and blood.

PS: The fact that a Seer could burn all the atium-alloy is only a theory of mine, but the presence of Demoux on Roshar strenghten this theory to me.

There is a WoB that says Atium is not used for Scadrian worldhopping.

Relevant WoB:

Interview: Sep 24th, 2013

Interview with Brandon Sanderson - Chris King (Miyabi) (Verbatim)

Chris King (Miyabi)

Is burning atium related to Scadrian worldhopping?

Brandon Sanderson
That's a good question, the answer is no.

Edited by Iron Eyes

There is a WoB that says Atium is not used for Scadrian worldhopping.

Well thank you man, you destroyed my allomancy-worldhopping-theory....But thanks :)

PS: Maybe I could be childish and hope there is a possibility to misunderstunding the WoB, with "not to Atium, but nothing for its alloys XD

Well thank you man, you destroyed my allomancy-worldhopping-theory....But thanks :)

PS: Maybe I could be childish and hope there is a possibility to misunderstunding the WoB, with "not to Atium, but nothing for its alloys XD

That is actually is a very Brandon thing to do. However, personally I think we will see that Scadrian worldhopping is more on the technology side than the Realmic side. I suspect the basis of their worldhopping will be spaceships using a combination of Steel/Iron Pushes/Pulls along with Nicrosil (or Duralumin in the case of a Mistborn) boosts to propel their engines.

That is actually is a very Brandon thing to do. However, personally I think we will see that Scadrian worldhopping is more on the technology side than the Realmic side. I suspect the basis of their worldhopping will be spaceships using a combination of Steel/Iron Pushes/Pulls along with Nicrosil (or Duralumin in the case of a Mistborn) boosts to propel their engines.

Spaceship surely but in the future.

Demoux is on Roshar in Stormlight Archive and SA is before the Allow of Law.

The Technology that Demoux could use is less or equal to what we saw in Allow of Law.

Spaceship surely but in the future.

Demoux is on Roshar in Stormlight Archive and SA is before the Allow of Law.

The Technology that Demoux could use is less or equal to what we saw in Allow of Law.

This is true, however we know that Demoux is a member of the 17th shard an organization that did not begin on Scadrial. I suspect that his means of Worldhopping are not native to Scadrial. I would guess he was recruited into the 17th shard and brought off planet by another Worldhopper and he used that worldhopper's method.

Edited by Iron Eyes

This is true, however we know that Demoux is a member of the 17th shard an organization that did not begin on Scadrial. I suspect that his means of Worldhopping are not native to Scadrial. I would guess he was recruited into the 17th shard and brought of planet by another Worldhopper and he used that worldhopper's method.

very plausible indeed ;-)

Demoux could have is age affected because he virtually became a Atium Savant during the last battle. Plus, and I don't know where to find this but I read it from a WOB somewhere, Demoux's new girlfriend is the Terriswoman worldhopper. It seems to me he had a perfectly reasonable reason to join his girlfriends little club. As to how, maybe the Terris know something about worldhopping that the rest of Scadrial doesn't.

Demoux could have is age affected because he virtually became a Atium Savant during the last battle. Plus, and I don't know where to find this but I read it from a WOB somewhere, Demoux's new girlfriend is the Terriswoman worldhopper. It seems to me he had a perfectly reasonable reason to join his girlfriends little club. As to how, maybe the Terris know something about worldhopping that the rest of Scadrial doesn't.

But being a tin savant didn't make Spook able to use tin feruchemy, do why would it allow Demoux to change a feruchemical attribute? Unless you imply seeing the future makes you age slower somehow wich makes little sense.

But being a tin savant didn't make Spook able to use tin feruchemy, do why would it allow Demoux to change a feruchemical attribute? Unless you imply seeing the future makes you age slower somehow wich makes little sense.

Well I had an idea, is possible but very unlikely.

We know that Demoux's girl are (or was) a Terriswoman, potentially a Feruchemist. With the right knowlegment she could create a "shared metalmind" used by anyone.

Therefore with a little Atiumind, Demoux could allomantically burn its and compound youth.

Or maybe just the time in the Cognitive Realm has not meaning to the Humans' Biology and while you worldhop you can't age.

Demoux's girlfriend is named Aslydin. While I suspect that you are correct in your assumption that she recruited him into the 17th shard, to my knowledge, we don't officially know this. He may well have recruited her...

Regarding Terris knowing something about worldhopping, The Keepers were an offshoot of the Worldbringers and per WoB we know that the Worldbringers were at least somewhat cosmically aware (and it has been speculated that their origin as a group may be Hoid).

Well I had an idea, is possible but very unlikely.

We know that Demoux's girl are (or was) a Terriswoman, potentially a Feruchemist. With the right knowlegment she could create a "shared metalmind" used by anyone.

Therefore with a little Atiumind, Demoux could allomantically burn its and compound youth.

Or maybe just the time in the Cognitive Realm has not meaning to the Humans' Biology and while you worldhop you can't age.

This is an interesting idea, there has been some speculation about "unlocking" a Feruchemical metalmind. To my knowledge Brandon has even confirmed that it is possible although not necessarily an easy process. With that said, I'm still not sure how Demoux would be able to access it even if the metalmind were unlocked as he is not a Feruchemist (Unless perhaps Harmony made him into one or at least a Ferring?) There is also the potential that a Metalmind can be hacked so its stores can be drawn upon by a non-Feruchemist but not filled by them. I may have to ask Brandon that at the Shadows of Self release tour.

This is an interesting idea, there has been some speculation about "unlocking" a Feruchemical metalmind. To my knowledge Brandon has even confirmed that it is possible although not necessarily an easy process. With that said, I'm still not sure how Demoux would be able to access it even if the metalmind were unlocked as he is not a Feruchemist (Unless perhaps Harmony made him into one or at least a Ferring?) There is also the potential that a Metalmind can be hacked so its stores can be drawn upon by a non-Feruchemist but not filled by them. I may have to ask Brandon that at the Shadows of Self release tour.

I could leave one of your doubts.

There is no need to be a Feruchemist to drawn from a Metalmind. The only problem is with the "Identity", but if you created a Shared Metalmind, anyone Feruchemist or not, could drawn from it.

If I find the WoB I post here.