favorite quotes!

Allomancy

On 2017-05-17 at 8:09 PM, Silverblade5 said:

Poetry is a song without music, ” I said loftily. “A song without music is like a body without a soul.”

Proceeds to add poetry all over the book. (And prose that almost counts)  

Rothfuss is fantastic :D 

"There is no overkill. There is only open fire, and it is time to reload." 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Extesian said:

Using words to talk of words is like using a pencil to draw a picture of itself, on itself

1 hour ago, Silverblade5 said:

I can't even picture that picture ;):P 

Pencilception!

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, The Flash said:

"Mawwiage. Mawwiage is what bwings us togethew today. Mawwiage, that bwessed awwangement, that dweam within a dweam. And wove, twue wove, wiww fowwow you fowevah and evah… So tweasuwe youw wove..."

I was seriously considering doing this one myself about an hour ago. Today is a very weird day in my brainspace

I can't remember if I've quoted Book of the New Sun on here before, I almost definitely have as Wolfe is the single most quotable author I've ever read. I have a series of memes based on his quotes that I wish I could put on this site, but of course they're not Sanderson :) So I'll settle for two of the most powerful quotes (though there are more beautiful ones)

By the use of the language of sorrow I had for the time being obliterated my sorrow—so powerful is the charm of words, which for us reduces to manageable entities all the passions that would otherwise madden and destroy us.

and

He waited for me to speak. I had the feeling, which I have often had when talking with old people, that the words he said and the words I heard were quite different, that there was in his speech a hoard of hints, clues, and implications as invisible to me as his breath, as though Time were a species of white spirit who stood between us and with his trailing sleeves wiped away before I had heard it the greater part of all that was said.

"It was a pleasure to burn.
It was a special pleasure to see things eaten, to see things blackened and changed." 

Fahrenheit 451 is both awesome (even if the title is scientifically inaccurate), and additionally, I never noticed before how well those two opening sentences describe Ruin. 

• 2 weeks later...

Structure and rules foster dependability; chaos creates unforeseen setbacks and missed deadlines.

Opinions are opinions and facts are facts

Either something’s been done right or it’s been done wrong, and sugarcoating it or walking away isn’t going to fix it.

Edited by Silverblade5

I know I've already posted this in another thread, but it's my favorite so here it is again. 

"Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones"

–Marcus Aurelius