Why Ten Heartbeats? WoR Spoilers

02ranger

So we all know now where the Shardblades come from and about the gemstones added to the pommel to allow them to be bonded. Do we ever find out why it takes 10 heartbeats to summon a dead Blade? I understand that it takes time to recall the dead spren, but I mean why 10 heartbeats specifically? What's the significance of that waiting period?

I don't remember this being covered in WoR, but if it is then we can let this thread die.

The ten heartbeats serve to synchronize the Shardbearer and the dead spren, giving the dead spren a pseudo-life force by which to operate as a Blade. Ten is a common number in the SA universe, so it should not seem aberrant that it will take 10 heartbeats to summon a Blade.

Below’s a quote from WoR, chapter 87:

“So they’re all spren,” he said. “Shardblades."

Syl grew solemn.

“Dead spren,” Kaladin added.

“Dead,” Syl agreed. “Then they live again a little when someone summons them, syncing a heartbeat to their essence."

Edited by ivoryblade

The ten heartbeats serve to synchronize the Shardbearer and the dead spren, giving the dead spren a pseudo-life force by which to operate as a Blade. Ten is a common number in the SA universe, so it should not seem aberrant that it will take 10 heartbeats to summon a Blade.

Below’s a quote from WoR, chapter 87:

That's the part I didn't remember. I knew they covered what they were, but I didn't remember the 10 heartbeats being explained. I'm on my second reading now so hopefully some of this stuff will sink in a little more. Thanks!

The other quote on this subject:

The area around him lightened. Was that the assassin? Kaladin extended his hand to the side, and Syl formed into the Blade immediately.

“Not ten heartbeats?” he asked.

Not when I’m here with you, ready. The delay is primarily something of the dead. They need to be revived each time.

Sanderson, Brandon (2014-03-04). Words of Radiance (Stormlight Archive, The) (p. 1032). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

It's possible there might be other reasons besides being dead that might cause the delay or a different delay (Syl says 'primarily' due to the spren being dead, and qualifies the instant summon with 'when I'm here with you', both of which imply there may be other conditions that would cause a delay). There appears to be no range limitation on the dead Shardblades being summoned by the bearer (at least to common knowledge):

He found Highprince Aladar watching from a small pavilion set up on a secure, raised part of this plateau overlooking the battlefield. A perfect location for a command post. Aladar was a Shardbearer, though he commonly lent his Plate and Blade to one of his officers during battles, preferring to lead tactically from behind the battle lines. A practiced Shardbearer could mentally command a Blade to not dissolve when he let go of it, though— in an emergency— Aladar could summon it to himself, making it vanish from the hands of his officer in an eyeblink, then appear in his own hands ten heartbeats later. Lending a Blade required a great deal of trust on both sides.

Sanderson, Brandon (2014-03-04). Words of Radiance (Stormlight Archive, The) (p. 123). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

So at the very least it's possible to summon a Blade from across a battlefield, and possibly beyond. Dalinar doesn't think of any restrictions, which leads me to believe that as far as Dalinar knows, there may be no restriction. It's worth noting that when Dalinar bonded the 'fake' Honorblade, he was able to summon it from where ever Amaram had taken it.

It's may be that if Kaladin lent Syl to someone else far enough away that it might still take ten heartbeats or at least not be an instant summon, or if e.g. Syl was not in the Physical at the time that it might take longer.

• Chaos locked this topic