Sanderson MTG Cards

Here's a thread to post custom Magic the Gathering cards that are Sanderson book themed.  Here's my first one, Vin, Skaa Mistborn.  (Her planeswalker/legendary enchantment creature sequel will be Vin, Ascendant Warrior)

post-13086-0-00077100-1440890765_thumb.p

(Click the image to make it full size)

Please post your own card ideas.  You can make cards at mtgcardsmith.com.

I meant it to be a 7/7. And yes.

It is expensive even for a 7/7, since it needs six especificaly colored mana plus X mana that you want to pay so his ability isn't useless. Plus, if both Xs are supposed to be the same, you should use markers or something like that.

And that Vin card looks a little overpowered, at least the "steel" ability.

Edited by CognitivePulsePattern

It is expensive even for a 7/7, since it needs six especificaly colored mana plus X mana that you want to pay so his ability isn't useless. Plus, if both Xs are supposed to be the same, you should use markers or something like that.

And that Vin card looks a little overpowered, at least the "steel" ability.

Oops...I meant that to be a colorless mana. It should have been 7 mana for a 7/7.

1440969040875352.png

Sorry for the double post. New card: I made him gold because all houses used Hazekillers, so as I understand it he was neutral and worked for whoever would pay him. He also would fight all kinds of Allomancers It should say your opponent's "Creatures". I play Magic, Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, and Hearthstone, so my terminology is messed up.

Edited by WayneSpren

The hazekiller... It can't be gold unless the way such things are determinated changed. Gold is multicolor, and only artifacts and superexceptional stuff like eldrazi can be colorless.

Plus, just because the card is a mercenary doens't mean it must be colorless, since colors are as much about mechanics as they are about flavor. I'd say it should be white on default, if only because it is a soldier and its ability seems to be somewhere between white and blue.

I wouldn't say she is off-color(unless you mean the card frame should be red). Forcing creatures to attack and turning mana into damage are both associated with red, and regenerating creatures, while more a green thing, can be accepted. And her personality does seem to fit with red to me.

Still can't make the formatting work properly but whatever :).

Vigilance and Regenerate are always nice for fatties even if the regen is expensive (the tap probably kills it) and I think this thread is going to see a lot of fatties :)

1441022728177523.png?t=820552

The one who reads: Instead of having an enchantment called Nahel Bond, why don't you use an 1/1 Enchantment Creature called Spren with bestow?

EDIT - To everyone who commented on it, I made Vin Gold because it looks cool and these aren't actual cards.  I acknowledge that in a real set, it wouldn't be gold.

Edited by ostrichofevil

As I think of it, Allomacy has a cost necause you have to buy metals. Feruchemy has a cost because you drain something from yourself, then use it. So I thought we would make Ferrings like, "Sazed loses -x/-x until end of turn. Sazed gains +x/+x during your next upkeep." I don't think we should use mana for Ferring powers.

Edited by WayneSpren

Yes. Or, to make it more exceptional, instead make it a passive that allows you to send cards from your hand to the top of your library when you would be forced to discart them. Of course, it should be enough to remove all other abilities.

Also, if someone makes Sazed, Hero of Ages into a planeswalker, he should gain loyalty points by tapping himself and not untapping in your next untap step, to show how bad he is at actualy being active after ascending.

Yes. Or, to make it more exceptional, instead make it a passive that allows you to send cards from your hand to the top of your library when you would be forced to discart them. Of course, it should be enough to remove all other abilities.

Also, if someone makes Sazed, Hero of Ages into a planeswalker, he should gain loyalty points by tapping himself and not untapping in your next untap step, to show how bad he is at actualy being active after ascending.

That doesn't seem to have much to do with Sazed.

Good idea, but it doesn't really hurt for a planeswalker to be tapped.  I also think that Sazed's big ability should be to exile all permanents and player's hands, shuffle them back into the deck, then each player searches for 10 lands and 1 creature and puts them onto the battlefield.  Then, everybody draws back up to 7 cards.

Next card: Metal Vial!

1441131482629986.png

That doesn't seem to have much to do with Sazed.

Good idea, but it doesn't really hurt for a planeswalker to be tapped. I also think that Sazed's big ability should be to exile all permanents and player's hands, shuffle them back into the deck, then each player searches for 10 lands and 1 creature and puts them onto the battlefield. Then, everybody draws back up to 7 cards.

Next card: Metal Vial!

1441131482629986.png

It was mostly to reflect his philosophy of preserving knowledge, not his feruchemy. Plus, it would offer an interesting mechanic that some decks with lots of vidency, recicling and drawing and discarting could use somehow.

For the planeswalker idea, if it is written in the permanent itself that it can't use abilities while tapped, it doens't matter if it is a planeswalker or not.

It was mostly to reflect his philosofy of preserving knowledge, not his feruchemy. Plus, it would offer an interesting mechanic that some decks with lots of vidency, reciclate and drawing and discarting could use somehow.

For the planeswalker idea, if it is written in the permanent itself that it can't use abilities while tapped, it doens't matter if it us a planeswalker ir not.

True.

Good point.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm terrible at designing MTG cards (yet), but I think there shoul be Hoid as a planeswalker with all kinds of random effects (and other Worldhoppers as planeswalkers too)

The tricky bit about making Worldhopper Planeswalkers is that we don't know enough about their abilities.  It is a good idea, though.