Links to Yolen

aeromancer

So I was rereading Elantris, and found the word "Jesker" in it. "Jesker" refers to a now extinct (or nearly so) religion practiced by Duladel prior to its collapse and and ressurection as followers of Shu-Dereth.

This is obviously a reference to "Jesk" (aka what Hoid does for a living)

So now we have a cosmere link aside from Worldsingers/Worldbringers. Are there any more, specifically on Nalthis, as we have Roshar, Sel, and Scandrial covered?

Okay, I certainly wouldn't say obviously a link. Brandon's had coincidences in names before. It certainly could be a connection, but we really can't say definitively. The fact of the matter is, eventually through sheer volume, some sounds are going to be reused at one point or another. For instance:

• Shash is a letter on Nalthis and a number on Roshar
  • Kaladin's name bears a resemblance to Kalad, however there is no connection, Brandon liked the way Kaladin sounded like paladin.
  • Rira is a nation on Roshar and the name of a crime lord on Nalthis

These are just a few thrown out off the top of my head from a second of thought. Sure, there are probably some connections, but I don't think we can decide that they are definitively related.The forum Q&A has something to say that might interest you.

LLWVYN

My question is in regards to the writing system. In Warbreaker, when Siri is teaching Susebron to read, she mentions the letter "shash," which we now know better as a Glyphair from WoK.

so onto the questions:

Are the two writing systems related, or is this a chance coincidence of names? If they are related, did they stem from the same source? (i.e., do the people of Nalthis and Roshar both descend from a more ancient group of people?) If I haven't gotten a RAFO yet, did the separation from these other people create the legends of being cast out of the Tranquiline Halls?

BRANDON SANDERSON

There are interesting connections around the cosmere between linguistics and some cultures. Though different groups of humans were created on different planets, the Shards all share a single point of origin. However, the Tranquiline Halls legends are not related to a Nalthis/Roshar connection.

• Chaos locked this topic