What BS signed for Me

Cartith

I ordered a signed copy of WoK via his website, and just asked him for a tidbit of knowledge for the Cosmere aware. I don't know the  WoB status of Shadesmar in Sel, but this signing (re)confirms that it is dangerous. It says exactly,

For XXX XXX, 

Stay away from Shadesmar in Sel,

Brandon Sanderson(or rather a squiggly thing that may or may not be his actual name XD)

Yeah. We've had multiple confirmations of this. I think at first it was that it was "difficult" to travel to Shadesmar on Sel because the Shards were splintered. And now I've mostly heard that it's "dangerous" to do so. Your signing casts a slightly more exact light on what is meant by "dangerous," though.

I heard somebody (I think it was Eric on Ep 4 of the Shardcast) say that it's not possible to travel to Shadesmar on Sel. Dangerous, along with the fact that it's very difficult, could possibly give off that vibe. I've never taken it that way. I've always thought it's possible, just hard. And you wouldn't really want to. And that signing backs up that idea. You can totally get there. You'll just end up regretting it if you do. So piece of advice: stay away.

Edited by little wilson

I wasn't saying it was impossible. I've always thought it was possible, even with the difficulty and danger. Neither of those words are synonymous with impossibilty. Hoid has been my main reasoning for that belief. He can clearly get there. I'm just betting that, being Hoid, he doesn't have to worry quite as much about the dangers inherent with Shademar on Sel. Others would. He doesn't (or at least not as much as your average, run-of-the-mill world-hopper).

I think that Brandon said that at the time of TWoK, the Selish people were the most advanced ones refering to Cosmere awareness, but that they found hard to worldhopp to other worlds because of the inestability of Shadesmar, which by the way means that the inestability seems permanent or, at least, for a long duration.

I was also wandering... Has someone thought about how do Selish people travel to Shadesmar? I have right now a ridicolous theory for the Elantrians: If they are creating a connection between Shadesmar and the physical Sel when they use the Aon Dor, wouldn't be as easy as drawing a portal and going through it? It's said that surviving in Shadesmar it's the difficult part, not going to it (for what i know).

But that begs the question of how Hoid managed to get on Sel so he could supply illegal weapons to the Elantrians. If it is not possible to travel through Shadesmar ...

Hoid is not a good example of what is feasible in the cosmere. YOU should stay away from Shadesmar near Sel, as should most other people. Hoid ain't got no time for that.

Real question is how have the Selians(?) that are hopping with the 17th Shard get through Shadesmar? Perhaps shardic assistance?

I am curious about the nature of the danger-o-Shadesmar in Sel. Is it that the nature of Sel's Shadesmar is dangerous, or is it the trasition between realms on Sel that is difficult and/or dangerous? What I mean to say is, is it more problematic to leave Sel, enter shadesmar and worldhop than it is to come from say Roshar, enter Shadesmar and then migrate to Sel?

• Chaos locked this topic