Alpha Readers Thread

Mandamon

HI @KaIPL, I answered your private message. Take a look through the guidelines here: 

https://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/1369-welcome-to-reading-excuses/?page=1

and see if that answers all your questions.

You should also contact @Silk to get on the mailing list if you haven't yet.

Edited by Mandamon

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, MistbornAlpaca said:

Is there anyone on here that would like to trade manuscripts for an alpha read? I recently finished my 1st novel (about 110,000 words) and am trying to get as many eyes on it as possible. 

Hi Alpaca! Normally, I would jump at this, but I've got so much on at the moment, and I'm already behind on various critiques. Sorry! Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2020 at 11:44 AM, MistbornAlpaca said:

Is there anyone on here that would like to trade manuscripts for an alpha read? I recently finished my 1st novel (about 110,000 words) and am trying to get as many eyes on it as possible. 

What is the novel about and what is your deadline? 

• 4 months later...

I have a story (about 10,000 words long) I just pulled it from an anthology and was thinking of doing another revision on it before trying to find a new home for it or just putting it on kindle unlimited.

The story got some positive mentions in reviews, but I want to distance it a little more from the anthology and its editor. I don't want to sub it through the group in installments because I'm trying to get a novel through right now, but I was wondering if anyone would be willing to take a look and see if you can think of anything I could change. I don't need a super quick turn around since I probably won't get to the revision for another month or two. 

A year or two ago, I did put this story through the group, twice actually, under the title the Mindless Nine. Now it's called Death Marked, and I've changed so much  of the content that it's almost a completely different story now than it was the last time I submitted it.

It's adult science fantasy with political intrigue at a royal party.  There is some action, but the story is more character driven and focused on the relationship between two estranged siblings. The main character is trying to protect their sister from assassins and rebuild their friendship with her. 

EDIT: For those who did read the original version, the giant robots that had given this story its first title are completely gone. There is no mindless nine, no big battle, and no one dies. 

Edited by shatteredsmooth

1 hour ago, shatteredsmooth said:

I don't need a super quick turn around since I probably won't get to the revision for another month or two. 

As much as I'm booked right now, I should be done with this whole moving process by July. If you're willing to give me until July to begin, toss it my way. At 10,000 words, it won't take me long to critique once I'm able to sit down. Plus, I haven't read the previous version, so I won't be biased (although I feel like I'm missing out with the whole giant robots thing). 

1 hour ago, Snakenaps said:

If you're willing to give me until July to begin, toss it my way.

July is fine. I'll send it to you at some point this week! Thank you!

1 hour ago, Snakenaps said:

Plus, I haven't read the previous version, so I won't be biased (although I feel like I'm missing out with the whole giant robots thing). 

That will be good!

I loved the robots, but they did not show up until the second half, and really didn't fit with the first part of the story. It was like it switched from quiet story with family drama and intrigue to some action packed pulp story. Maybe one day I'll write a different story with the giant killer robots. 

1 hour ago, shatteredsmooth said:

I loved the robots, but they did not show up until the second half, and really didn't fit with the first part of the story. It was like it switched from quiet story with family drama and intrigue to some action packed pulp story. Maybe one day I'll write a different story with the giant killer robots.

Normally, I would do this in a heartbeat, I hope you know, but I just can't stretch to it at the moment.

If it's still a thing in July (2nd half) maybe I'll come back and stick my hand up. I'd like to see where the story ended up, and it was in that anthology!! I want to read it again even more. ATM though I'm critiquing all these novels at the moment :rolleyes: Not to mention failing miserably to write 25,000 words for a thing :D 

1 minute ago, Robinski said:

If it's still a thing in July (2nd half) maybe I'll come back and stick my hand up. I'd like to see where the story ended up, and it was in that anthology!! I want to read it again even more. ATM though I'm critiquing all these novels at the moment :rolleyes: Not to mention failing miserably to write 25,000 words for a thing :D 

I have to write a thing before I revise this, so more than likely, 2nd half of July would be okay. 

But if not, that's fine too.

@shatteredsmooth - I'll try to read it if you'd like. I don't have a manuscript of my own to trade though. (Half of why I like reading excuses is so I have good reading material). I'm normally a quick reader, though I feel like my reviews tend to either be superficial or focus on one or two writing techniques that are on my mind at the time.

• 2 weeks later...

OK: this is going to be a bit long winded, I apologize in advance. 

I wrote a 107K novel, which is the farthest (not longest) I've ever gotten. Yay me! I may put this up on a week by week basis, but a combination of burnout and overload of research makes me want to take a break from it. That being said, I'd like to know if anyone would be willing to tolerate reading a rough draft manuscript (very rough draft; I didn't touch is since I vomited it out onto the page), and give macrocasmic feedback on style, scenes, worldbuilding, and the like. If you don't that'd be fine. Thanks for considering, and tell me if you'd like me to send it to you.

Well done, @Turin Turambar! Congratulations :) 

Almost all the advice suggests that some kind of break of some length is advisable, for distance, and to recharge enthusiasm. Great effort. Finishing that first one is such an important moment.

I'm sorry that I don't have time to read it at the moment. I am interested though. Do I take it from your comment that you have written more words in a novel, but not finished it? Knowing when you are done, what the end is and how to get to it, is another important skill. Happy for you!

@Sarah B It's epic fantasy, I don't know what you mean by style. I don't care when I get feedback by, as thre is no due date. Also, Mainly general impressions, on a scene level, but whatever you're willing to do would be helpful - I want to know what kinds of things I did works and what doesn't. Did you want to look at it?

@Robinski

2 hours ago, Robinski said:

Do I take it from your comment that you have written more words in a novel, but not finished it?

Actually, quite the opposite. I did nanowrimo with a friend last year, and while I ended up doing most of the writing, I personally don't consider it writing the complete novel. Actually, I wanted to do nanowrimo this year, but due to prior commitments I couldn't find time, so I ended up doing double in April-May. Hense, this.

@Turambar I'd be happy to take a look, but when I read a whole draft straight through, I tend to focus more on big picture or overall things. I could give you feedback on things like world building, plot, character or pacing, but when reading the whole thing, I'm not good at focusing on smaller things, like commenting on individual scenes or style. 

I've been neglecting this thread, but I saw you had offered to read my short story. If you're still interested in reading that, let me know and I'll send it to you.

On 7/4/2020 at 9:47 PM, Sarah B said:

If you're still looking for readers I'd be happy to give it a go. 

I just noticed this thread again after forgetting it existed so I'm late to the party :-)

And I'm late to reading responses to my own post. I'd be happy for you to read it if you are still interested.

And if you have any stories you want me to look at, let me know. 

@Turin Turambar 

Sounds good. Sure, send it on over. Fair warning, I have not read very much epic fantasy so I am not familiar with the usual tropes and rhythms. If you don't mind an outsider's perspective I'll willing to give it a go. 

@shatteredsmooth

Yes, I am still willing to alpha read your short story. I look forward to seeing it. I would love your input but I am still in the process of finishing up my project's first draft and, given that I discovery wrote about half, it will need to be a second draft before it makes any sense. Thank you though!

Do I need to PM both of you my email or do you have it from the submission group? I haven't done an alpha read with this group yet so I don't know the procedure. 

6 hours ago, Sarah B said:

Do I need to PM both of you my email or do you have it from the submission group? I haven't done an alpha read with this group yet so I don't know the procedure.

Ditto, but how do would you like me to send it to you? Email work? if so, PM me what it is.

8 hours ago, shatteredsmooth said:

I've been neglecting this thread, but I saw you had offered to read my short story. If you're still interested in reading that, let me know and I'll send it to you.

Of course I still want to read it! when do you want it read by? Also, any feedback you can give is great, that's how I know what I'm doing that doesn't work, so I can improve. I'll PM you with my email, and send me your own, or however you'd like me to send it to you. (I have no idea the standard to sending manuscripts).

On 7/7/2020 at 7:44 PM, Turin Turambar said:

I wrote a 107K novel, which is the farthest (not longest) I've ever gotten. Yay me!

Congratulations! I'm a little late to the party, but I can give you my thoughts! You can email to me using the email connected to my submissions. If you can't find that email, PM me. I've started a new job, but I'll jump on your novel as soon as I have time.