Alpha Readers Thread

Mandamon

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey guys, I'm putting the finishing touches on a manuscript that I hope to have finished later this week.  It's an urban fantasy about people who hang out with the (un)dead in an abandoned tram depot.  Current length is under 35k words.

Would anyone be willing to give it an alpha read?  I can do a swap if anyone's interested.  Hoping to get alpha feedback by the end of June, as I'm also going to be hearing back from my local writing group's alpha read by that time.

Edited by Kuiper

• 1 year later...

Question: What is the difference between beta readers and alpha readers? 

I've heard of / used beta readers, but outside this forum, I think I heard the term Alpha reader once. If m Camp NaNoWriMo revision plans happen, I may be seeking people to read the full Oomph manuscript in August, and if I post the request, I want to make sure I'm using the right word. I'd basically be looking for feedback on things like plot, character and world building. I've called that looking beta readers, but if that's not what it means in the context of this thread let  me know please. 

1 hour ago, shatteredsmooth said:

What is the difference between beta readers and alpha readers? 

Short of G**gling it, I always think of 'alpha' as the first read of the complete work. I struggle with the concept of reading chapters being alpha reading. I prefer the use of 'critique' for that. 'Beta' then would be people reading revised full version, imo.

Probably, I'm completely wrong. Will now go and G&&gle it.

2 hours ago, shatteredsmooth said:

Question: What is the difference between beta readers and alpha readers?

Alpha readers as a concept is somewhat more nebulous than "beta readers" and depending on your definition of a beta-reader, the function of an alpha might be encompassed by it. Basically, alpha readers are the ones who go through the very roughest rough of your work and tend to give more "big picture" high-level feedback than a more detailed beta, or line-level copyedit reader. Tends to, being the operative verb there. Again, it's fuzzy. Alpha readers might also be encompassed by the concept of a critique partner, or CP -- someone who sees your early work and helps you work out where it's going, or helps you around early obstacles in your writing. An alpha may-or-may-not come in initially when the whole draft is finished, while a CP usually is with you during the writing of the book, and a beta more-or-less usually comes in after the story has gone through a couple of edits and is ready for more detailed feedback. 

But of course, people will call alpha reads beta reads and call their CPs alphas and vice-versa. so *shrug* it's kind of whatever works for you. 

ETA: I believe the purpose of this thread is for whole-manuscript reads as opposed to the chaper-by-chapter reads of the rest of the board here. 

Edited by industrialistDragon

Thanks @industrialistDragon and @Robinski

I got that this was for full ms reads. Alpha reader was just a new term.

I guess the people I think of as critique partners are alpha readers then because even if I am sending something out chapter by chapter, it is from a complete manuscript.

I don't use cp's as I'm writing because the more I let people read a work before I write through to the end, the less likely I am to finish said work.

Anyway, that just helps me so I know what to ask for if I do post here looking for someone to read the whole thing. 

Edited by shatteredsmooth

• 8 months later...

Hi everyone, I'm a new member of the Reading Excuses writing group. As a big Sanderson fan, I'm familiar with his writing theory lectures and podcast so I'm using his terminology when I say I'm available for alpha reading if an industry professional (or close) opinion is needed in theoretical physics, math, human biology (physiology, some biochem, neuroscience). I'm also a pretty good troper and tend to shoot gods and devils that step out of machinery. 

My work schedule is normally pretty crowded but I'm very willing to lend a hand if the result is a good book. 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have time to do a quick re-read of Dandelions (~14K words) all the way through and see if I've cleaned up the issues? Would like a few more eyes on it before it goes back to my editor.

4 hours ago, kais said:

Anyone have time to do a quick re-read of Dandelions (~14K words) all the way through and see if I've cleaned up the issues? Would like a few more eyes on it before it goes back to my editor.

I can try--what's the timeframe?

30 minutes ago, Mandamon said:

I can try--what's the timeframe?

Week or two. I don't need LBLs or anything, just wanting to make sure it hit better emotional notes this time around in the end chapters. It's 2K over limit, too, so I can't add anything else.

10 hours ago, kais said:

Week or two. I don't need LBLs or anything, just wanting to make sure it hit better emotional notes this time around in the end chapters. It's 2K over limit, too, so I can't add anything else.

Oh, yeah that's fine. Send it on and I'll look over it this week.

4 hours ago, Robinski said:

Or even if they wouldn't help, would you tolerate them?

LOL yes I can tolerate them, but I'm sending you a marked up version to begin with, so you'll want to accept all changes before adding your mark ups or I'll never see them.

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/04/2019 at 0:32 AM, kais said:

Anyone have time to do a quick re-read of Dandelions

Hey @kais, tracked comments emailed. I enjoyed this version of the story more. I like that you've scaled by the dragon thing, much more palatable now, and introduced the romantic element, which was lightly hinted at before (maybe?, or maybe I just inferred it). Anyway, that multiplied the satisfaction for me. One of two logistical questions still, but not nearly so :) 

• 7 months later...