Shardbearer? Surgebinder? Soul-caster? Which r you?

There are (I believe) 3 main types of people in the Cosmere. Surgebinders, like Szeth or Kaladin, Shardbearers, like Dalinar or Adolin and true Soulcasters, like Jasnah and Shannah. Although there are many other types of people In the Cosmere, these 3 are fundamental, Shardbearers for war and conflict(there is a lot of that), Soulcasters which are essential for any civilisation and Surgebinders which are the primary focus in WoK. Which one do you see yourself as?

Edited by Eternal_Radiance

Those 3 things are all specific to Roshar, not the Cosmere. None of the other worlds have any of those things as far as we know.

Plus it's actually 2 things because soulcasting is a type of surgebinding, it's the Surge of Transformation. Everyone who can soulcast on their own is a surgebinder. The soulcaster fabrials were made by science to mimic that particular Surge.

And you might argue that it's actually all just 1 thing because both surgebinding and shards come from the Nahel bond of the Knights Radiant. All surgebinders are also shardbearers by default except in special cases. All of the shards were originally the weapons and armor of surgebinders. The shards held by ordinary people are just scavenged relics of the Lost Radiants, they weren't a thing before the Recreance.

Those 3 things are all specific to Roshar, not the Cosmere. None of the other worlds have any of those things as far as we know.

Plus it's actually 2 things because soulcasting is a type of surgebinding, it's the Surge of Transformation. Everyone who can soulcast on their own is a surgebinder. The soulcaster fabrials were made by science to mimic that particular Surge.

And you might argue that it's actually all just 1 thing because both surgebinding and shards come from the Nahel bond of the Knights Radiant. All surgebinders are also shardbearers by default except in special cases. All of the shards were originally the weapons and armor of surgebinders. The shards held by ordinary people are just scavenged relics of the Lost Radiants, they weren't a thing before the Recreance.

A shard beirer owns both plate and blade. Kaladin owns neither and Szeth owns just the Blade

Shardblades are evident in the Cosmere via the Dawnsingers and their Shards and Splinters are the same. I had no idea about the Soulcasters but. Thanks for the heads up.post-15956-0-93570200-1440246784_thumb.j

@Eternal_Radiance, the Cosmere consists of several novels and short stories that Brandon has written: the Mistborn trilogy, Alloy of Law, Elantris, Warbreaker, and the Stormlight Archive (which has two books out right now), plus several short stories/novellas which you can find out more about in these fora. The magic in the Way of Kings is related but not identical to the magic in the other novels. I encourage you to read the other novels before exploring the Cosmere Theories forum since it had spoilers all over the place (and the books are fantastic). The three types of people you mention get a little more elaboration in the second book of the Stormlight Archive, Words of Radiance. Definitely read that to continue the adventure (and find out what "I am a stick" refers to!)

Also, there is a general forum rule to avoid double posting (posting one thing right after another) except in very rare occasions.

Oh and welcome to the forum and to Brandon Sanderson!

A shard beirer owns both plate and blade. Kaladin owns neither and Szeth owns just the Blade

Shardblades are evident in the Cosmere via the Dawnsingers and their Shards and Splinters are the same. I had no idea about the Soulcasters but. Thanks for the heads up.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Before I reply, let me ask, have you read Words of Radiance yet? If not I suggest you do so first because you're opening yourself up to lots of spoilers here.

As for the Cosmere, Roshar is not the Cosmere, it's one planet in the Cosmere. The Cosmere is a whole galaxy with myriad different worlds and none of the things you're talking about are present on any of those worlds other than Roshar (unless someone brought some over from Roshar, but we haven't seen that happen yet).

@Eternal_Radiance, the Cosmere consists of several novels and short stories that Brandon has written: the Mistborn trilogy, Alloy of Law, Elantris, Warbreaker, and the Stormlight Archive (which has two books out right now), plus several short stories/novellas which you can find out more about in these fora. The magic in the Way of Kings is related but not identical to the magic in the other novels. I encourage you to read the other novels before exploring the Cosmere Theories forum since it had spoilers all over the place (and the books are fantastic). The three types of people you mention get a little more elaboration in the second book of the Stormlight Archive, Words of Radiance. Definitely read that to continue the adventure (and find out what "I am a stick" refers to!)

Also, there is a general forum rule to avoid double posting (posting one thing right after another) except in very rare occasions.

Oh and welcome to the forum and to Brandon Sanderson!

The post would not post so...... I clicked it twice and came back to the page. Is that why I got -1 spren?

Man, that's barely even 5% of the list of things you can be in the Cosmere, I reckon. Considering how the list of 3 only contains like 1.5 things.

And that's just counting things that were originally human.

I am planning on doing multiple forum post like this. If I put them on the one forum post...... People would not be sure who they would like to be.

Another point worth making, Surgebinding (including shards & soulcasting) isn't even the only magic system on Roshar. Sounds like you got some catching up to do :V

I am planning on doing multiple forum post like this. If I put them on the one forum post...... People would not be sure who they would like to be.

I never said it was. Please don't jump to conclusions

Before I reply, let me ask, have you read Words of Radiance yet? If not I suggest you do so first because you're opening yourself up to lots of spoilers here.

As for the Cosmere, Roshar is not the Cosmere, it's one planet in the Cosmere. The Cosmere is a whole galaxy with myriad different worlds and none of the things you're talking about are present on any of those worlds other than Roshar (unless someone brought some over from Roshar, but we haven't seen that happen yet).

I never said it was. Please don't jump to conclusions

This is only part 1 of a bigger thing.....

The post would not post so...... I clicked it twice and came back to the page. Is that why I got -1 spren?

I don't mean posting the same thing twice, I mean posting anything at all twice in a row. You should try to keep all your responses to one post rather than replying 3 or 4 times in a row to address different people. Does that make sense?

There is also a feature to either up-vote or down-vote posts by people on the forum that affects reputation. It's impossible to know why you get down-voted unless people come out and say it but it might be because of your multi-posting.

I don't mean posting the same thing twice, I mean posting anything at all twice in a row. You should try to keep all your responses to one post rather than replying 3 or 4 times in a row to address different people. Does that make sense?

There is also a feature to either up-vote or down-vote posts by people on the forum that affects reputation. It's impossible to know why you get down-voted unless people come out and say it but it might be because of your multi-posting.

Righteo. I've only been here for 2 days.(time flies)

• 2 years later...
  • Chaos locked this topic