Hiding from Epics

mirahound

It's been mentioned several times that new Epics will usually go after the people that they know first, because they're most likely to guess an Epic's weakness. So, if someone you knew were to suddenly become an Epic, and you were trapped in the same city with them with no way to get out, how would you hide from them?

My immediate family knows me for a few traits. 

1. Being shy around strangers, and preferring to stay at home on a Saturday night. 
  2. Loving dogs of all kinds.
  3. Zeroing in on any and all chocolate in the room.
  4. Gravitating toward any old books I can see. 
  5. Getting irritated when other drivers go below the speed limit. (I mean, a mile or two I can get, but 35 in a 50? <_<

So, one of my parents or siblings became an Epic, the best way to hide from them is clearly to drive very slowly to a party of cat lovers at a no-dogs-allowed location, with a firm no-chocolate policy, where everyone reads their books on Kindle. And, as much as it pains me to say this, I would not wear a false mustache to hide my identity. It would simply be too dangerous. -_- 

(Joking aside, that would be my fallback strategy. My initial strategy would be to hide in a bank vault or fallout shelter and pray they didn't see me.) 

My immediate family knows me for a few traits. 

1. Being shy around strangers, and preferring to stay at home on a Saturday night. 
  2. Loving dogs of all kinds.
  3. Zeroing in on any and all chocolate in the room.
  4. Gravitating toward any old books I can see. 
  5. Getting irritated when other drivers go below the speed limit. (I mean, a mile or two I can get, but 35 in a 50? <_<

So, one of my parents or siblings became an Epic, the best way to hide from them is clearly to drive very slowly to a party of cat lovers at a no-dogs-allowed location, with a firm no-chocolate policy, where everyone reads their books on Kindle. And, as much as it pains me to say this, I would not wear a false mustache to hide my identity. It would simply be too dangerous. -_-

(Joking aside, that would be my fallback strategy. My initial strategy would be to hide in a bank vault or fallout shelter and pray they didn't see me.) 

With a strategy like that, what about clicking had candy against your theeth? :ph34r:  :P

If someone in my famili started going on a murder spree, I'd probably just bolt town outright.

Edited by Edgedancer

With a strategy like that, what about clicking had candy against your theeth? :ph34r:  :P

If someone in my famili started going on a murder spree, I'd probably just bolt town outright.

Best not to call attention to myself. Here's hoping I never ran into a pug, because then my cover would be blown for sure. :P 

That seems like the soundest plan, in this case. I wouldn't take my own car, because everyone in my family knows what it looks like. Actually, I'd rent a U-Haul or some other kind of moving truck. They all know of my aversion to driving large vehicles (I get a little jumpy because I feel like I'm going to crash into everything) so they'd never suspect me of fleeing town in one of these: 

HeaderBigTruck.png

Not only that, but my brother is a bit of a doomsday prepper, and he has repeatedly told me that the best way to flee a city in an apocalyptic scenario would be in some sort of off-road vehicle, a bicycle, on horseback, or on foot. Something that offers more mobility than your average sedan. He'd never suspect me of running for my life in a U-Haul. :ph34r: 

Welp. I don't drive and I live a couple of miles away from the nearest town. The surrounding area is an arid scrubland, so best case scenario is that I find a thorn bush to hide inside. (A technique my father, an ex survival instructor for the military, would guess immediately.)

So it seems I have only one final recourse.

The fact that I can run to our gun storage shed faster than they can.

275a43a45add775167ca8a531698c43b.jpg

Welp. I don't drive and I live a couple of miles away from the nearest town. The surrounding area is an arid scrubland, so best case scenario is that I find a thorn bush to hide inside. (A technique my father, an ex survival instructor for the military, would guess immediately.)

So it seems I have only one final recourse.

The fact that I can run to our gun storage shed faster than they can.

275a43a45add775167ca8a531698c43b.jpg

Wait, slaughtering my family was an option?! Why did nobody tell me?

660253ec9683b79a13f2eb0b43eaa845.jpg

6ee77246a25f6d0c537262c0cb809ebe.jpg

Me? Take my hardcover copy of words of radiance (signed), glue it to my hardcover copy of way of kings (also signed), and then go to a bookstore and buy a hardcover copy of steelheart and firefight. (and the rithmatist because that's the only other Sanderson book I don't have a physical copy of). Then wack them in the head. 

Who needs superpowers when you have overweight books?

Seriously?: 

I walk casually down the street and rob a bank. Get arrested. Is safe in prison. 

Paranoia is a powerful tool. If I had at least a minute's warning that someone was coming for me, I could be equipped to survive comfortably in the woods for three days, climb out my window, and be hidden in the woods. After that I just hike cross country into town, then hitchhike up to Portland, where I would withdraw my savings and get on a bus to anywhere else.

Paranoia is a powerful tool. If I had at least a minute's warning that someone was coming for me, I could be equipped to survive comfortably in the woods for three days, climb out my window, and be hidden in the woods. After that I just hike cross country into town, then hitchhike up to Portland, where I would withdraw my savings and get on a bus to anywhere else.

You want to go to Portland in order to be safe?  :blink:

• 1 month later...

One of my friends in particular is most likely to be an epic, and knowing her she would probably focus on world domination before going after the people she knew. Sadly I would probably be one of the first people she would hunt down. Yeah, if I'm not qn epic too, then I'm pretty stuffed.