What Brandon Sanderson has taught us.

Hello again friends and strangers alike. Last night I was thinking of Nohadon and The Way Of Kings. Turns out there r really a lot of things in Branon Sanderson has taught us with his own ingenious quotes. Here you can share what his books have taught you and be sure to quote the book. The cosmere has taught us all in one way or another

'Life before death, Strength before weakness, the journey before the destination.

Wha do you think?

Honestly, for me reading Way of Kings actually taught me a lot about writing. I have a tendency to make my plotlines overly simple (ie, BORING!!!), and reading something that takes so many fantasy ideas that would normally make people laugh, and then makes them work so well, really helped me open up and actually start having fun with my writing again.

Honestly, for me reading Way of Kings actually taught me a lot about writing. I have a tendency to make my plotlines overly simple (ie, BORING!!!), and reading something that takes so many fantasy ideas that would normally make people laugh, and then makes them work so well, really helped me open up and actually start having fun with my writing again.

Ditto. It also makes me want to hide the little cremlings until they are big enough to resemble Chasmfiends; majestic, large, and ultimately just plain scary.

Better start writing...

'Life before death, Strength before weakness, the journey before the destination.

This. I've learned a lot of other stuff from reading Sanderson but nothing has had the same impact on me as the immortal words. Which I recite to myself whenever I'm felling down or lost.

This. I've learned a lot of other stuff from reading Sanderson but nothing has had the same impact on me as the immortal words. Which I recite to myself whenever I'm felling down or lost.

Really happy to hear that. The Knight Radiant's Vows r also really good guidelines to follow.

Edited by Eternal_Radiance

I think you could include The Emperor's Soul in entirety, the whole novella is an exploration into what "true art" is.

in particular this quote:

Boldness and subtlety already contrast very greatly, so that's one heck of a self-descriptive definition.

Boldness and subtlety already contrast very greatly, so that's one heck of a self-descriptive definition.

I could understand you if the quote said that 'true art' wasn't bold but was subtle or vice versa but Gaotona is saying that art must be both. The thing that makes the book a work of art to him is how bold and daring it is but also how clever and subtle the work is.

Please do tell me if you meant something else and I've got this all wrong. :)

I mean, he's saying art also needs contrast, alongside two qualities that already contrast so much as to be complete opposites in any other circumstance.

That definition of true art almost itself qualifies as art.

Edited by natc

What about Leadership?

Stormlight Archive, Mistborn (1th trilogy specially) and Elantris, they are all about leading, guiding, gaining trust and loyalty, understanding other people and gaining them, knowing what they want but above all, what they need.

I always find religion (or belief) and leadership the most interesting topics in BS works.

Yes. The religion in BS books feels more realistic than in most other fantasy books. More... rational, I think. Not some semi-supernatural beings (known by each and everyone almost personally) , that are commanded by their priests on one hand and give moralic dictates on the other.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you could include The Emperor's Soul in entirety, the whole novella is an exploration into what "true art" is.

in particular this quote:

That was supposed to be an upvote, sorry. Storming tablet... Can someone fix this? Edited by Lindel

"Someone has to start, son. To step forward. To do what is right, because it is right."

I know that's not the exact quote, but I really liked this one.

"Somebody has to start. Somebody has to step forward and do what is right, because it is right. If nobody starts, then others cannot follow." WoK Ch 41 Of Alds and Milp

Here's another awesome WoK quote:

"A man's emotions are what define him, and control is the hallmark of true strength. To lack feeling is to be dead, but to act on every feeling is to be a child."

Ch 26 Stillness (Incidentally this is actually a quote from in-world WoK as well as SA WoK.)

The following passages from TWoK and WoR:

• The passage from the in-world WoK where Nohadon walks to Urithiru.
  • The passage from the in-world WoK about the candles.
  • The passage from Hoid, at the end of TWoK, about what men value most.
  • The passage from Hoid about art and expectations.
  • Hoid's talk with Shallan about the two blind men, and what beauty is.
  • The story of Fleet.
  • The story of the Wandersail.

• 1 month later...

For me it was Jasnah.

Her way of being an Atheist has influenced my view on religion greatly.

Let the Vorin believe as they wish—the wise among them will find goodness and solace in their faith; the fools would be fools no matter what they believed.
—Jasnah to Shallan
You will find wise men in any religion, Shallan, and good men in every nation. Those who
truly
seek wisdom are those who will acknowledge the virtue in their adversaries and who will learn from those who disabuse them of error. All others—heretic, Vorin, Ysperist, or Maakian—are equally closed-minded.
—Jasnah to Shallan