What is the best Sanderson book? (all, not just Cosmere)

I know everybody has their favorites, but I'd like this topic to be a place to discuss, using logical arguments, which books have the best creativity factors, which has the most developed characters, and similar stuff.

For example, my favorite book is Mistborn, the Hero of Ages. By this time in the series, most of the characters are all very well developed. In this book some characters we'd wanted to know more about (Spook and Goradel) have their moments and we finally get to see how they affect the world around them and how they face the growing threat by Ruin and the koloss. 

The worldbuilding in Mistborn amazed me, especially the prospects of the ever-falling ash and the Shards' affects on the world (hemalurgy and allomancy).

I loved the intricate magic systems and the setting of the series: what if the Dark Lord won?  Most of all, I loved the ending of HoA, where all the connections connected and revelations abounded.

Overall, this is not only my favorite Sanderson book, but most likely my favorite book of all time, at the level of works such as J.R.R. Tolkien.

If you want awesome world building, go read Stormlight! If you want awesome anything, go read Stormlight! (Not implying that his other works aren't, but in Stormlight, everything is)

Although. . . I feel Stormlight gets overused (even if it is the pinnacle of Brandon's work). I, personally, really enjoyed Sixth of Dusk. I found it intriguing. :)

If you want awesome world building, go read Stormlight! If you want awesome anything, go read Stormlight! (Not implying that his other works aren't, but in Stormlight, everything is)

Although. . . I feel Stormlight gets overused (even if it is the pinnacle of Brandon's work). I, personally, really enjoyed Sixth of Dusk. I found it intriguing. :)

You know that Mistborn will have 13 books, while Stormlight will only have 10.

Hmph. Airsick lowlanders.

You know that Mistborn will have 13 books, while Stormlight will only have 10.

Hmph. Airsick lowlanders.

Only 10? You are so spoiled by Sanderson you realize that right?

Anyways my favorite is the Way of Kings, because holy c**p is that a good book with amazing world building! Seriously, everyone read this book! It is the best fantasy book out there.

Why would you even ask this? They are all incredible.

I guess if I had to chose, I'd go with Hero of Ages as well. I don't really know how to explain it. To me it was just... so perfect.

Agreed. I am rereading WoK again though...and it's just as amazing the second time through.

• 3 weeks later...

I first found Sanderson books when I grabbed mistborn at a library because it look intersecting evenually I found his website after reading most of his books I found this form. It lasted as my favorite for about a year (which is a long time for me since I read A LOT). It recently got beat by Way of Kings which I have reread 5 times now. Since reading Way of Kings no book has come anywhere close to beating it expect for Mistborn books. Who knows maybe Shadows of Self will beat Way of Kings. 

This question is not okay.

I do feel like Elantris is the Martha Jones of his works, though- horribly underrated. It isn't some of his best writing in stuff like word choice and flow, but man, that plot twist.

And, you know, Elantris.

If you're referring to my creation of the topic, I am truly sorry. Sanderson books should not have to compete and should never be told they are not the best ever. In my revised opinion, they are all so amazing it would be impossible to choose the "best" one, and while people have their own opinions, I do not think anymore one should claim the title.

And yes, Elantris is awesome.

If you're referring to my creation of the topic, I am truly sorry. Sanderson books should not have to compete and should never be told they are not the best ever. In my revised opinion, they are all so amazing it would be impossible to choose the "best" one, and while people have their own opinions, I do not think anymore one should claim the title.

And yes, Elantris is awesome.

I just meant it was impossible to choose. It was a joke. You're fine. :P

• 2 years later...

The Emperor's Soul. It's the best written and does not require reading thousands of pages in order to establish character connections or world building for the writing to be effective. And, unlike his other "standalones", this book actually stands alone. It's a complete experience whether you stop there or check out his other work. More then any other Sanderson book, it does not rely on sequels to expound on its themes and mysteries or prequels to set up stakes and pay offs or supplemental novels/stories/WoB to truly "get it."