Nicrobattery theory

ian

I was thinking about how Brandon would use Nicrosil in the following mistborn books and several thoughts came to me. First off if someone was burning a metal, lets say Steel and was using Duralumin to leap very high. Then another mistborn used Nicrosil on that person. Would the effects of the Duralumin and Nicrosil stack up, effectively having twice the power of a normal Duralumin Steel push. Now here is were my theory gets really crazy. What if you had the same situation set up as before but the mistborn using Nicrosil was also using Duralumin. Could this possibly triple the effect of the original Duralumin Steel push? Now here is where the Nicrobattery theory part comes into play. Two mistborns, Mistborn A Nicrobursts Mistborn B giving their currently burning metal one "unit" of Duralumin like power. Mistborn B is burning Nicrosil. Mistborn B then takes their one Duralumin unit Nicroburst and touches Mistborn A with it theoretically giving Mistborn A's currently burning metal two Duralumin units. Mistborn A is burning Nicrosil that now has the two units and now repeats the process giving Mistborn B three Duralumin units. You could theoretically continue this process until you reach the desired level of Duralumin units and then burn the metal you want the super powered effect of. The possibilities are extreme. A three Duralumin unit pewter punch could effectively create a massive crater. A steel push could lunge you into space. You could Soothe or Riot entire countries. A Seeker could sense every allomancer in the entire world. Cadmium could stop time in a bubble around you. you get the idea, and if the theory actually worked the possibilities would be truly limitless. Lord Ruler eat your heart out.

remind me never to play a Tabletop RPG with you, munchkin.

Seriously, we don't know much about how Nicrosil works yet (although the second Mistborn trilogy will star a Nicroburst apparently). So I don't know if that wold work or not.

Although Brandon said that there are going to be very few Mistborn in the future of the setting due to dilution of allomantic potential, so that probably won't ever happen in setting, even if it's possible.

remind me never to play a Tabletop RPG with you, munchkin.

Seriously, we don't know much about how Nicrosil works yet (although the second Mistborn trilogy will star a Nicroburst apparently). So I don't know if that wold work or not.

Although Brandon said that there are going to be very few Mistborn in the future of the setting due to dilution of allomantic potential, so that probably won't ever happen in setting, even if it's possible.

didn't he say there wouldn't be ANY mistborns in the new trilogy? not very few? I could be misremembering, but i could've sworn that there wouldn't be any mistborn in it.

He hasn't said none. I think I remember him saying that a possible story could be a Mistborn serial killer.

The flaw with this is that the Nicrosil would burn out too fast for it to stack like that. If it stacks power, then it would also stack just how quickly the metal gets used. It's an interesting theoretical idea, and something with some potential if your timing is BEYOND AMAZING.

The problem with this is that each metal has a somewhat set amount of power, you can flare your metals and get more power out of them but that causes it to burn faster, if someone flared all of their pewter away and someone else kept it on a slow burn and they both had the same amount of allomantic skill/power they would each get the same amount of power from their pewter, person A would get it in a big dose for a really short time and person B would get it in a much smaller dose for a long spread out time. In my understanding duralumin just takes the time it takes to flare your metals away down to mere seconds no matter how much of them that you have, unless it really a wild card and gives massive amounts of whatever power you happen to be using all that would be accomplished by a nicro battery would be that the already short time you have to flare your metals with the original nicro affect is that you would have less time to use them, you would get more power but not have the time to use it- Oh got a big idea here, if you slowed time down then you would get massive amounts of power, if each additional nicro unit only halfed the time you burn your metals away in you would theoretically double the amount of power you would have to draw from them, it would be down to millionths of a second but you would have insane amounts of power, only a mistborn or a well coordinated team of misting could use this trick, it could end up being the Duralumin+Atium of the second trilogy

I'm pretty sure Brandon has said that Nicrosil/Duralumin effects don't stack. E.g. you burn all your power in one sudden flash, so stacking them just means---you burn all your metals in the same flash. Check the Q&A thread on Timewasters, IIRC.

Im so glad that people are actually debating my crackpot theory! and i did consider the idea that one of the two temporal metals (i cant remember which one slows down time) could add to the theoretically small window of time to use up the Duralumin units. I didn't add to the original post because i felt i had already rambled on considerably. Another thought, if you could also use zincminds if you tapped one the increse in mental sharpness might help you be able to use the Duralumin units faster.

Another thought, if you could also use zincminds if you tapped one the increse in mental sharpness might help you be able to use the Duralumin units faster.

Good direction. From what Brandon's said of the next Mistborn trilogy, we really should be exploring Feruchemy/Allomancy combinations more

I believe that it would make the duralumin burn in a flash before you could burn the next metal.

Unless mistborn A burned (insert non-enhancing metal here) first and then burned Duralumin at the exact same time as mistborn B burned Nicrosil, then you would get the effect of whatever gets burned first.

did I lose anyone?

I'm pretty sure Brandon has said that Nicrosil/Duralumin effects don't stack. E.g. you burn all your power in one sudden flash, so stacking them just means---you burn all your metals in the same flash. Check the Q&A thread on Timewasters, IIRC.

I remember him saying something similar. I'll hunt for the quote.

• Chaos locked this topic