The Ultimate List of Questions for Brandon

Chaos

It seems like you have a lot of questions you'd like to ask. I know that sometimes it can be kind of intimidating here, with all the information that didn't come from the books flying around. A lot of us hang out in the chatroom that we made for the site and most of us are pretty knowledgeable about the cosmere. Admins are often there too, and they'd be able to help with all the site questions you might have. I think I've seen you say that you aren't much for chat but I think if you're willing to give it a try you could ask all the questions you might have.

You can find the chat here. Just put Tamzin in the Nickname blank and fill in the captcha so irc know you aren't a bot and you'll be right there with us. I hope to see you there! :)

What happens to a normal allomantic metal (eg, gold) after it's burned? Does it return to, and reform in metal deposits?

Can a normal Koloss post-HoA be born with either feruchemical or allomantic abilities?

How extensively does hemalurgy stack? (For example, could three or four charged steel spikes be granted to increase their power with steel by a factor of three?)

Sorry for the poorly worded third question. Having a hard time trying to explain it succinctly . . . XD

What happens to a normal allomantic metal (eg, gold) after it's burned? Does it return to, and reform in metal deposits?

I'm sure I've seen an answer for that in the database somewhere but I can't find it!

I think it was something along the lines of the metals evaporate (Not sure how exactly this is meant, whether they literally turn into a gaseous state and eventually are recycled into earth or whether he means they dissapear completely)

Yes, the answer to the first one is that it gets "consumed" to turn into a gateway for the Power of Creation. Let me find the quote:

JOSH

When non-god metals are burned Allomantically, what happens to the metals? Are they crushed into tiny specks? Do they disappear?

BRANDON SANDERSON

The metals become a key conduit through which the power is delivered. So they are actually sort of vaporized, and the atomic code is a key by which the power is drawn in.

Source

This question has probably been asked many times and I feel a little silly asking this ....but are the Rosharian elite weapon names "shard"blades and plates coincidental or is there some hidden implication in calling them "shards" given what we know about shards of adonalsium?

Thanks Zas! I was looking for it for around an hour! probably because I was convinced it said evaporated :P

Now question time,

If another of the Polestones were split in half (other than rubies or amethyst) in the manner through which Spanreeds were created is it possible for other linked reactions to occur? (I'm not sure what but I guess heat or electrical transference? maybe each of the ten surges?)

Is there a limit on how many Shardblades one person can have, in the "can-summon-it-in-ten-heartbeats" sense?

If not, can they summon them one at a time, or would somebody with, say, two Shardblades only be able to summon both at once?

Probably not a very significant question, I'm just curious about whether somebody who owned a whole bunch of them would cut the floor to ribbons every time they tried to summon one.

This question has probably been asked many times and I feel a little silly asking this ....but are the Rosharian elite weapon names "shard"blades and plates coincidental or is there some hidden implication in calling them "shards" given what we know about shards of adonalsium?

B4DAVE ()

My question is, why are they called Shardblades/Shardplate? Is it because they are a splinter of the the Shard Honor, or is there something more to them than that?

BRANDON SANDERSON

You are on the right track.

Yes, the answer to the first one is that it gets "consumed" to turn into a gateway for the Power of Creation. Let me find the quote:

Does this mean that you could test somebody's breath for Allomantic metals while they are burning them? That'd make interesting security devices.

I don't think he literally means vaporized. I think he means they are obliderated, done away with, destroyed, etc.

Which seems silly to me, because it seems there's a TON more power in a tablespoon of matter-energy in iron than you get allomantically from it, which seems that Allomancy is really wasteful. But maybe matter-energyness works differently in the cosmere. Or I might be misunderstanding him.

B4DAVE ()

My question is, why are they called Shardblades/Shardplate? Is it because they are a splinter of the the Shard Honor, or is there something more to them than that?

BRANDON SANDERSON

You are on the right track.

Thanks a lot...

Not a problem, I'm trying to familiarise myself with the interview database again since I've been away for a while so it's good practice :D

I don't think he literally means vaporized. I think he means they are obliderated, done away with, destroyed, etc.

Which seems silly to me, because it seems there's a TON more power in a tablespoon of matter-energy in iron than you get allomantically from it, which seems that Allomancy is really wasteful. But maybe matter-energyness works differently in the cosmere. Or I might be misunderstanding him.

Maybe the excess energy goes to refilling the well? Or just directly to the Shards but even then the amount of metal that Allomancers would burn over 1024 years would be a lot of energy, maybe to the 'power of creation' depending on where you stand on that subject :P

EDIT:I'm 99% sure it isn't this but I also just came across

ERICPETERS (14 NOVEMBER 2011)

You mentioned friday night in #Seattle Allomacy has "FTL" built into it, any more hints you can share on how that would work

BRANDON SANDERSON (14 NOVEMBER 2011)

It involves where the lost energy from thermodynamic issues goes in certain Allomantic interactions.

But I'm pretty sure we worked out it was from bendalloy/Cadmium didn't we?

Edited by Voidus

But I'm pretty sure we worked out it was from bendalloy/Cadmium didn't we?

I think we came up with that partially from what Brandon signed in my Alloy of Law - along with his comment that it would not make any sense for around 10 books.

Watch for what happens when something leaves a bendalloy bubble.

This combined with the promise of FTL in the 3rd mistborn series lines up about right for what he was saying. There may have been other hints in this direction too but that is the one I know of off the top of my head.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi --

Long time lurker, first time poster.

While at Dragon*Con, during Magic:tG with Brandon, I was able to get an answer to one of the question on the big list of questions.

Here is the question:

Why are invested objects like metalminds and Hemalurgic spikes able to be Pushed and Pulled on, but Shardblades and Shardplate, which are also invested, are not susceptible to Pushing and Pulling?

His answer was complex, I took notes, but didn't get recorded audio. I am going to try to explain as best as my notes and memory support.

There were a few concepts that he outlined in answering this question.

1.) The ability to push/pull an invested object is predicated to the amount/power of the investiture

2.) Further, invested objects also gain resistance to pulling/pushing based on proximity to soul possibly via the soul. An example given is that A hemalurgic spike touches the blood of the person, and from there is now part of both the Spiritual Realm and the Physical Realm. This provides what Brandon termed a kind of "soul interference," based on its proximity to the soul.

This further explains why Vin required more than normal power to push/pull the metalminds from the Lord Ruler, because of their proximity to his soul, via the Spiritual Realm.

3.) The amount of investiture is relatively low on Scadrial, whereas worlds like Cel and Roshar are pushing around "high power" according to Brandon. I interpreted this to mean that hemalurgic spikes and metalminds have low amounts of investiture compared to Shardplate and Shardblades.

Brandon said that theoretically you can push/pull Shardblades and Shardplates but you would need to wield an incredible amount of power. One example he gave that could so such as a thing is that if you were a Mistborn wielding the full power of the Well of Ascension, you could push/pull Shardblades/plate

I hope everyone enjoys the question I got to ask.

Thanks,

Trae

Edited by nalesean

• 2 weeks later...
What happens to feruchemically charged metals that rust away completely, and what happens to an object invested with breath when it is destroyed?
LITTLE_WILSON

Mi'chelle is wanting to know for a fanfic she's wanting to write if when you cut/break an object that has been Awakened if the object then "dies", or if the pieces will try to carry out the command. Also, either way, can the breaths be recovered from it?

BRANDON SANDERSON

The object does not die, and will try to continue its purpose. The level of damage will determine just how well it can continue. The Breaths are recoverable. (Though there could be some loss of Breaths, depending on how the item is destroyed.) There's a scene near the end where Vasher Awakens some clothing, then it gets cut down and he recovers the Breath.

• 2 weeks later...

Been away for awhile... but came back to catch up and read the mega Q+A with Brandon today. I'm sorry I didn't get a question in on time, because there's an old concept I really want to get a reaction from Brandon on.

Oddly enough, I can't find the post where I first made this revelation, but here goes.

Roshar is in the same system as The Silence Divine's planet. Is that why there are Parts in The Way of Kings titled "Above Silence" and "The Silence Above"? I acknowledge that these phrases are part of the ketek in the endnote. Still... the phrasing makes me wonder the relation between these two planets.

Nightblood consumes Breaths as fuel, and breaths are a form of investiture. Is it possible for nightblood to run on other types of investitures?

Are Sel and Roshar considered "high power" shardworlds because more of their shardic energy is on and in the planet due to the shards being shattered? And could Sazed give Scadrial more "juice" if he wanted to?

Some questions I'd like to add to the list, if that's allowed, or just present to discuss:

Was Adonalsium conscient/sentient? (I'm assuming yes since Shards have been sentient, like Ruin.)

Did someone shatter Adonalsium? (If so, there must exist some ridiculously powerful deity somewhere.)

Where was Adonalsium when it was shattered? (I just wonder if Adonalsium was floating in space somewhere, or actually on a planet [Yolen?] and what on earth it would be doing.)

Did someone create Adonalsium, or was it merely a product of the universe's creation?

Of course, I don't see any of this getting answered, but the majority of my questions revolve back around to Adonalsium, and the concept of it. I hope we get more hints about it periodically as we've got well over ten years until the first major-Shardworld series (Dragonsteel)

Some questions I'd like to add to the list, if that's allowed, or just present to discuss:

Was Adonalsium conscient/sentient? (I'm assuming yes since Shards have been sentient, like Ruin.)

While it is possible that Adonalsium itself could have been sentient, shards themselves are not sentient. The sentience you are referring to is actually the holder of Ruin, Ati.