The Ultimate List of Questions for Brandon

Chaos

It was actually right after Preservation died. Kelsier took up Preservation's power for just a little bit, until Vin took it. So when Spook hear's one of Kelsier's voices near the end of his segment, that's because the real Kelsier actually talked to him.

So, when Vin took over Preservation (the mist funnel, etc), that wasn't her taking over an unused Shard, that was Kelsier transferring all of the power to her? I never would have seen that (though it does explain the uncharacteristic kindness of "Ruin's" encouragement of Spook at the end there).

So, when Vin took over Preservation (the mist funnel, etc), that wasn't her taking over an unused Shard, that was Kelsier transferring all of the power to her? I never would have seen that (though it does explain the uncharacteristic kindness of "Ruin's" encouragement of Spook at the end there).

I don't know about that former statement. I think Kelsier would only have a limited power over Preservation (hence being more of a Sliver). I don't know if Kelsier was consciously transferring it to her. Probably not, since the mists wanted to enter Vin, but that earring was preventing it from happening. Maybe the best way to think about it is that Kelsier was the steward of that power for a bit, until Vin was able to take it completely.

I don't know about that former statement. I think Kelsier would only have a limited power over Preservation (hence being more of a Sliver). I don't know if Kelsier was consciously transferring it to her. Probably not, since the mists wanted to enter Vin, but that earring was preventing it from happening. Maybe the best way to think about it is that Kelsier was the steward of that power for a bit, until Vin was able to take it completely.

Interesting. Now I'm really curious about the mechanics of that transaction.

re: the question about Returned having kids, Brandon answered that in the most recently posted Warbreaker annotations, the answer is yes, but there's a trick to doing it and it doesn't always work.

nice! Thanks Crazy. I haven't been keeping up with the Warbreaker annotations. I have yet to re-read that one. It's next after I'm done with my Elantris project :)

Gah! I've been searching for the reference for a while and I can't find it.

My memory is telling me that Brandon Sanderson once said that Returning Infants involved giving them Breath while still in the womb.

A-ha! I found it! It ends up he answered some questions on Twitter that I didn't have in the Brandonothology.

Twitter Q&A

A question that's been on my mind for a while. If Returned can't have children, how are Siri and Vivenna descended from one?

Excellent question. One I have to RAFO. When I was writing WRBRKR, I was planning on two books.

I seeded two questions to be answered in the next book. One was the origin of the royal family.

The second was how Vasher was able to survive while hiding his divine Breath. I will answer these questions.

Eventually. (It has to do with restoring Breath and life to the child while still in the womb.).

K, thought of some questions.

Elantris questions:

1. Why did Wyrn know that Hrathen would betray him, and where Djon would find him?

2. Did the Elantrians worship anything in secret? And why is the pathway to the lake lit by lanterns and not Aons?

Mistborn questions:

1. What will happen to Sazed's mind now that he holds two Shards? Specifically two opposite Shards?

2. What exactly is a Sliver, and how does it differ from Splinters? (I put this with Mistborn because the only two Slivers I know of are the Lord Ruler and Vin)

Warbreaker questions:

1. Does it just require loads of Breaths to make something like Nightblood, or is there something else involved?

2. How does one erase/alter memories using Breath?

Way of Kings questions:

1. What is the sphere? (Who hasn't asked this)

2. Why do the Parshendi sing while fighting?

3. Why did the Parshendi Shardbearer recognize Dalinar?

4. Has Honor been shattered? If so, are the spren the splinters?

5. Is Cultivation's Shardholder still alive? Has her Shard been Splintered?

6. Is the spren measuring thing similar to our own physics with atoms? (I don't know how to explain this because I don't know much about physics, but it's what I thought of when I read that chapter)

7. Is there a spren attached to Sveth?

8. Why are the parshmen so docile?

9. Why did the Parshendi kill Gavilar right after signing a treaty?

10. Why did Gavilar want the treaty in the first place?

11. Why does shardplate no longer allow for the use of Stormlight?

12. What is the Origin, and why does it like hurling Highstorms at the mainland?

13. Where is the continent located on the planet in latitude? (My geography nerdiness is making me ask this question)

14. Why am I asking so many questions?

15. Why are almost all the questions about Way of Ki- oh right, unfinished like crazy.

16. What's the deal with the Hierocracy?

17. Have we met all of the characters that a book is going to focus on?

18. Which characters (other than Kaladin, Davilar, Shallon, and Sveth) will have a book focused on them?

19. Will we ever see an end to the Wheel of- wait, wrong series.

20. Okay, I think I'm done. Have fun!

K, thought of some questions.

Elantris questions:

1. Why did Wyrn know that Hrathen would betray him, and where Djon would find him?

I got some answers (though I think that some of them still should be asked that I answer, just because most of his answers are.. vague.

When Dilaf is instructing the monks in how to kill the Elantrians, he mentions purification rites that need to be spoken. Do the rites have to do with the Dor? Or are they purely religious/ritualistic?

They are mostly ritualistic, but a lot of what the Dakhor do is strongly influenced by the Skaze. Read into that what you will.

Was Wyrn’s drive to topple Elantris purely a typical, conquest-related motivation? Or did it arise after Fjordell gained access to the Dor?

The Skaze have a large amount of influence on most politics and most working in Fjordell.

I know it’s a RAFO, but how the eff did Wyrn see into the future? That seems above even a Shardholder’s abilities! I bet that sucker’s tapping into the Shadesmar. But I digress...

Ha, wow, that is indeed a RAFO. Note that we have seen temporal abilities in the Cosmere before. Most of the time these are related directly to the pure essence of a Shard or to a Splinter.

Back at Mare being a Seeker: I haven't gotten there yet in my reread, but I'm pretty sure she's a Tineye.

I think you're right. Remember, that previous statement of mine was complete idiocy.

Mistborn

is gunpowder going to ever be featured again in the Cosmere?

Is Sazed going to either die or leave Mistborn's world? If he doesnt I dont see how anything bad can ever happen again, unless he is drastically changed by the Shards' power. He wouldn't let his friends die would he?

Will Kelsier have another role in any series, or is he dead for good?

Way of Kings

Are all of the Heralds, who gave up their shards still alive?

What happened to the Heralds shards?

Will Kaladin vs Amaram be legendary?

Cosmere

Could Hoid or any other world jumper pick up different powers there? For example, could Hoid have gotten Breaths on Nalthis and used them on Roshar? And would his original powers be affected by this?

Is Odium's original world Roshar or have we not seen it yet?

Shardholders can talk to dead people. Are the Tranquiline Halls where everyone who dies in the Cosmere goes when they die? or does each world have its own heaven? Is bringing people back to life possible?

Unless Hoid is a bad guy, why doesn't he realize what a powerful ally he would have in Sazed as the first person to gain hold of two shards and the only one to gain control since the splitting of Adonalsium?

How could Odium destroy both Aona and Skai, if they were both working together?

Warbreaker

Is Nightblood really alive?

Will Susebron now have two returned Breaths after being fed Lightsong's?

obviously most of this will be RAFO'd, and I will have a few more if I could ever find my list.

I can't for the life of me remember her name but is Cett's daughter really his daughter? Skaa have to have allomancy in the past 6 generations to get allomancy and Cett says that she is the first person in their family to get allomancy for centuries.

Ruin and Preservation were often represented in the Mistborn trilogy in terms of black and white. Is this imagery limited to that series, or do other Shards also have an associated hue?

Just did a marathon read-through of the Brandonothology (zas, you rule), and came up with some new questions:

- A while ago, you mentioned "a short story forthcoming which will deal with Kelsier, the days after he Snapped, his training, and what influence (if any) Ruin had on him." Is there any news on that front?

- You mentioned that the souls that chose to stay in the Cognitive Realm are those with some strong ties to the Physical Realm.

Generally, you have to be tied to the Physical Realm in specific ways to not pass on.
What tied Kelsier? What are some of the "specific ways" in which an individual can be tied?

- Follow up question: are the Returned bound to the Physical Realm in such a way? If not, does Endowment know a hack (for lack of a better word); a way of bringing them back from the Beyond that is even apart from all three Realms? Or does each Shard have a different avenue of bringing someone back?

- Regarding:

Allomantic pulses are like a ripple of sound in the fabric of creation itself--the power of creation being used, creating a drum beat to those attuned to it. Ruin created a similar beat when his conciousness was near.

Vin was able to sense both Ruin's and Preservation's presences. Is this because she was able to access Creation through both of them (so she was a part of both of their "clubs")? Or was it because her increased Seeker abilities gave her access to a broader range of Creation-energy wavelengths? Or is it simply that anyone who is paying attention and gets that close to a Shard would feel those pulses? I guess all of those add up to: how does one become "attuned to" any given Shard's drum beat?

Also:

Brandon has said that Sazed is also blinded by metal. I feel that this is VERY significant, but I don't quite know how to form it into a proper question (or, rather, I don't know how to pull apart the ten or so questions re: the underlying theory of magic, Shardhood, and the Cosmere I have that are all bundled up in it). Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

How long has Szeth had his powers? (Probably RAFO but whatever, I'm curious)

What's the second Windrunner power? We've seen the gravity manipulation, but if Windrunning's an order, than there's another right? (You guys might be able to help on this one, because others seem to have a better grasp of this than me)

Why are the people on Roshar so cosmere-conscious? They seem to know an awful lot about Shadesmar and the Three Realms compared to the other worlds. Jasnah even used the word "cosmere" once!

Who names the planets? You've said once that "Scadrial" was the name of the planet as Ruin and Preservation knew it, but where'd they get that name? Do the shardholders all get together and vote on it or something?

If Elendel is named for Elend then who's Lutha?

What were the Herald's blades called? (It might be best to word this as a yes or no question; he seems to be more consistent about answering those. Top contenders are Dawnshards and Honorblades I think)

Was the Shattered Plains the only thing that you lifted from Dragonsteel? (AKA Will you start sending out copies of it now that WoK is out?)

I'm sure I'll think of more in the future...

Alright, got it, thanks Silus. I guess my brain just automatically filed "three lashings = one power" and with Soulcasting sounding like Windrunning my brain just kinda jumped to conclusions.

Little off the wall question, you can probably file it under "silly": If Kelsier ever traveled to Roshar would he join the Devotary of Sincerity? The whole "There's always more answers to be found" thing sounds a lot like "There's always another secret."