The Ultimate List of Questions for Brandon

Chaos

2 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

Healing in the Cosmere transcends that narrow definition. Healing tries to match you to the Spiritual Realm Template, and what actually gets fixed is filtered through how you view yourself(Cognitive Realm), in order to effect a change in the Physical Realm. This is how every form of magical healing in the Cosmere works

Which comes down to a probably maybe for people using Stormlight to facilitate gender transitions.  If possible, it would be extremely difficult, requiring the person in transition to have an iron clad image of their identity and self as it should be, as opposed to their current physical reality.   

Am I interpreting that correctly?

34 minutes ago, Stark said:

Am I interpreting that correctly?

You'd be contending with their level of belief and the actual level of believability. The further something is from that Spiritual Template, the harder it's gonna be to attain via healing. I'd say that you get my meaning.

Brandon can still make it functionally impossible by having a separate Spiritual Ideal for "Human Male" and "Human Female" if he wanted to, but if there's just a template for "Human," then I think it could technically be done.

• 2 weeks later...

Given that Scadrial has no moons, and Roshar has many, will we ever see a Scadrian native, first-time worldhopper being stunned at seeing a moon for the first time? Or a Rosharan-native marvelling at the lack of any on Scadrial?

And since we have WOB confirmation that Human is alive, will we see him again? Perhaps as the Koloss Elder or something similar?

Edited by ScarletSabre

28 minutes ago, Lexian said:

A. What do you think happens if a silver sword was used against a shard blade?

B. What would happen if a silver dagger was used to stab a spren?

Do you mean aluminum?

@Kidpen, I’m pretty sure he means silver. In SfSitFoH, Silver is used instead of aluminum against Shades. Brandon has confirmed that it is indeed silver instead of aluminum.

Oh, and my question. 

Do you need to see Steellines and Ironlines to know that a metal object is there when burning their respective metals?

Edited by Apollyon

55 minutes ago, Apollyon said:

Do you need to see Steellines and Ironlines to know that a metal object is there when burning their respective metals?

Good question. You can definitely push on all objects without knowing they are there (Wax and his steel push bubble). But I don't know about one specific object.

On 3/5/2011 at 9:09 PM, leinton said:

6. Is the spren measuring thing similar to our own physics with atoms? (I don't know how to explain this because I don't know much about physics, but it's what I thought of when I read that chapter)

Do you mean Schrodinger's cat? 

16 minutes ago, Cosmosis said:

I think he meant the uncertainty principle, which states you can't determine the position of a particle and it's momentum at a given time, only one of them. 

17 minutes ago, Cosmosis said:

If I remember rightly, I think it's more akin to quantum entanglement and string threory than superimpoisition, since we can see the spren, but until it's defined as a specific measurement then it becomes rigid, rather than being in two specific different states...  Though technically that IS collapsing the waveform... Hmm. I need to refresh my brain on some of these theories (and probably get some sleep xD)

@leinton, I thought that Interlude was just showing us how important a spen’s Cognitive presence was very important. And by setting a defined measurement, you changed your view of the spren, then changing the spren as well due to its mainly Cognitive existence.

Edited by Apollyon

On 6/2/2018 at 0:37 PM, ScarletSabre said:

How many bullets would it take to shatter Shardplate? Just wondering if a Scadrial sniper could take out a Shardbearer...

We know a normal sword can shatter shardplate. If so a gun could easily shatter shardplate.

19 hours ago, Fatikis said:

We know a normal sword can shatter shardplate. If so a gun could easily shatter shardplate.

I'd quote myself if I had finished my post in the other thread, so have a normal quote bubble:

Up for a bit more debate than you think.

VindicationKnight
To what extent could Shardplate resist a bullet?

Brandon Sanderson
Plate would resist a bullet well.

Edit: Also, what in Karzahni are you even on about? A normal sword does less than nothing to Shardplate. Shardblades are far from "normal" swords.
Kaladin needed Adolin to make cracks in their opponent's plate so that Kaladin could actually damage it with his spear.

Edited by The One Who Connects

1 hour ago, The One Who Connects said:

I'd quote myself if I had finished my post in the other thread, so have a normal quote bubble:

Edit: Also, what in Karzahni are you even on about? A normal sword does less than nothing to Shardplate. Shardblades are far from "normal" swords.
Kaladin needed Adolin to make cracks in their opponent's plate so that Kaladin could actually damage it with his spear.

I will need to reread to be sure. I'm fairly certain that the gemstones on shardplate had been shattered in battle a number of times by normal swords without the use of a shardblade. Repeated impacts of any kind seems to damage shardplate. Spear specifically wouldn't be able to leverage enough blunt force to damage shardplate.

We have seen shardplate take damage from falls. Which means physical damage effects shardplate. As such bullets would do damage to plate. More than a single bullet would be needed. You'd need to damage the shardplate enough in a section to have cracks. Without Brandon commenting we have no idea the number of shots needed. With a sniper you are also going to be able to take them out via the vulnerable eye slit.

Edited by Fatikis

3 minutes ago, LiquidBlue said:

(Does technological allomancy turn the mists into a technologically usable resource?)

You can technically distill God Metals out of the Mists with the right tech, but I don't know about normal metals(and I don't know if they'll reach that tech without knowing its possible)

Brandon Sanderson
If you could distill the god metal: you could distill it out of the mist, that's theoretically possible.

1 minute ago, The One Who Connects said:

You can technically distill God Metals out of the Mists with the right tech, but I don't know about normal metals(and I don't know if they'll reach that tech without knowing its possible)

Thanks for the WOB. I wasn't thinking about producing other metals from the mists, just godmetals. I was thinking specifically of Lerasium, but I vaguely recall that there are Ruin mists as well.

The implications are interesting -- hence the question. If the technology is sufficiently efficient, the god metal(s) become more generally available, at least until you start running out of mist.

Are there any characters that would help, or at least agree with what Hoid is doing if they knew his plan? Following along the same line: Are there any characters that would be actively fighting against him, because of what he’s planning?

Edited by AshBorn

Since there forces limiting Harmony's knowledge purposely(assuming this is a collaboration between some shards and other cosmere-wide organizations). Are there any shards (that we know or haven't revealed) that is supporting or might actually be fine of Harmony's existence(or just wants to support him) ?

Edited by goody153