The Ultimate List of Questions for Brandon

Chaos

Were the commands used by Vasher to awaken his clothing in order to strengthen himself inspired by shardplate?

Also you recently gave us a word that there is a reason for Hoid's hair being white that we will be made aware of in the future. I was wondering whether there was also a deeper reason for his hair being black sometimes than it just being a disguise.

A question for Peter, actually: I've recently been made aware that we aren't sure of exactly how a Rosharan inch translates to Imperial or Metric. They must be large if Rosharan feet are ten inches but they're longer than Cosmere standard (if that's the same as Imperial, anyway). 

2 hours ago, continuumg said:

Was Trell an avatar of Autonomy?

The shard that you’ve said isn’t inhabiting a planet, is it located in the space corresponding to Silverlight?

Those are both RAFO's. 99% chance they have already been RAFO'd in the past in fact.

I'm listening to the Oathbringer audiobook at the moment, and re-reading it like this has sparked a few questions in my head.

OB Spoilers:

Spoiler

When Shallan puts an illusion on Kaladin's face, he mentions when he sees his reflection that one of his eyes is higher than the other now. That implies to me that one of his eyes must therefore be covered by the illusion, which we've seen from Shallan creating stones/bushes to hide in, are dark on the inside. But Kaladin's depth perception is unnaffected, despite him essentially wearing a Stormlight-illusion eyepatch over one of them... Any ideas why this would be? True invisibility or bending light around the eye would stop you from being able to see after all...

Just wondering if this is an oversight or if there's a magical explanation for it

Also, is there an upper limit to the amount of Shardblades that someone can bond? We know dual-weilding is possible, since Kaladin did so in Way of Kings Prime, but I now cannot get the idea of someone having multiple shardblades bonded and being a one-man armoury, or dual-weilding and holding the hilt of a third one between his teeth like Zoro from One Piece....

With Taravangeon's capacity changing, when exactly does it change? Is there a specific point in the night when he changes while he sleeps? If he went without sleep and passed the point of change, would his capacity/cognition suddenly change and slow down/speed up? Or would he retain his current level of capacity until he slept?

Edited by Pagerunner
OB Spoilers

15 hours ago, Rawrbert said:

Also, is there an upper limit to the amount of Shardblades that someone can bond? We know dual-weilding is possible, since Kaladin did so in Way of Kings Prime, but I now cannot get the idea of someone having multiple shardblades bonded and being a one-man armoury, or dual-weilding and holding the hilt of a third one between his teeth like Zoro from One Piece....

Theoretically, not really. Also, it was Amaram, not Kaladin who dual-wielded in WoK Prime. Which is entertaining to think about now...

Questioner
Is there a limit to how many Shardblades you can have? Be bonded to?

Brandon Sanderson
Theoretically, not really. There are some things that can limit bound that.. I can imagine people have a lot. In the original draft of The Way of Kings (2002) Amaram had two. And so, it's definitely possible to have multiples, and I had not thought of someone trying to bond every Shardblade. 

15 hours ago, Rawrbert said:

If he went without sleep and passed the point of change, would his capacity/cognition suddenly change and slow down/speed up? Or would he retain his current level of capacity until he slept?

He went to the Nightwatcher not long after Gavilar's assassination. That was over 6 years ago, or 3,000+ days. If he could retain his level of intelligence by staying awake, he'd have tried it by now. (This actually makes me think Brandon is saving this reveal for an inner thoughts segment if/when Taravangian or Mrall get an interlude later on.)

Edited by The One Who Connects
3,100!!

If someone held all ten Honourblades and tried to use all ten surges at once, what would the Resonance be?

Spoilers for Bands of Mourning and slight spoilers for Stormlight Archive

Spoiler

Since Shardblades have trouble cutting anything heavily Invested, would Wax, when tapping everything from the Soverign's Spearhead, have been able to block a Shardblade with his bare hands?

If not, how heavily Invested would something have to be to block it? Have we seen that level of Investiture in anything outside of Sprenblades, Shardblades, Half-Shard Shields, Shardplate and Nightblood?

Edited by Rawrbert
My previous question just got answered in the audiobook,

9 hours ago, Rawrbert said:

If someone held all ten Honourblades and tried to use all ten surges at once, what would the Resonance be?

They might not have a resonance at that point.  We know from WoB that the resonance effcet disappears when you have a bunch of systems workign together, instead of just one or two.  As I recall, his example was that a fullborn, like The Lord Ruler, wouldn't actually have access to any of the individual resonances that the twinborn have.  It stands to reason that pooling all of the different surges into one person might similarly eliminate the resonances that each of the orders of knights have.

1 hour ago, continuumg said:

Could a mistwraith become a Kandra by being given another form of investiture, such as breath?

Breath, not really.

PhantomMonstrosity
How many Breaths would be fair to turn a mistwraith into kandra-ish?

Brandon Sanderson
Turning a mistwraith to a kandra would be hard with Breath. It doesn't give sentience.

15 minutes ago, Dunkum said:

I mean, based on that WoB it may be possible with enough.  After all, we know that sufficient breaths can grant sentience; nightblood is proof enough of that.

Yes, but then you'd get into an argument of "possible" vs "feasible."

VindicationKnight
Can you use Forgery to enhance or diminish a persons intelligence? If so could you use it to uplift a non-sentient animal to human levels of intelligence?

Brandon Sanderson
Uplifting requires extreme amounts of investiture, and needs to be affixed permanently to the soul. This is beyond what a normal person, even a Forger, usually has access to.

VindicationKnight
And if full uplifting is practically impossible then are more minor intelligence alterations (like Taravangian) feasible?

Brandon Sanderson
Uplifting isn't quite as impossible as I might have implied. It would be easier, say, than making Nightblood. But, of course, making Nightblood was VERY hard.

If one were to uplift an animal in this way, would it be stable on its own, or would it be “leaky” like Nightblood? Would it require a steady supply of investiture like a Returned?

oh! Could a mistwraith become a Kandra by using a gemstone with a trapped spren, similarily to parishendi forms?

Edited by continuumg

Oathbringer Spoilers:

Spoiler

In Oathbringer we saw that Nale was bonded to a highspren, and therefore a member of his own order. Was he bonded before any of his trips to Braize, or was he bonded after Aharietam? 

And if he was bonded before going to Braize, how/was he able to transport his spren with him?

(I haven't really checked whether or not this question has been asked before)

Edited by First of the Dawn
Mixed up the planets

13 hours ago, First of the Dawn said:

Oathbringer Spoilers:

Reveal hidden contents

In Oathbringer we saw that Nale was bonded to a highspren, and therefore a member of his own order. Was he bonded before any of his trips to Ashyn, or was he bonded after Aharietam? 

And if he was bonded before going to Ashyn, how/was he able to transport his spren with him?

(I haven't really checked whether or not this question has been asked before)

I'm pretty sure Ashyn should be Braize.

1. The Nightwatcher doesn't give you what you wished for, she gives you what she thinks you deserve, so probably you won't get more wishes.

2. Hoid has a cognitive mind and a soul (probably), so I don't think they would multiply. Anyway, have fun trying to find a way to cut him in the first place.

19 minutes ago, Kidpen said:

If you cut Hoid in exactly the right way, would two Hoids grow back?

source

Soronir

About Miles from Alloy of Law and his regenerative powers. If he was bisected down the middle and the halves were separated immediately before the healing process could begin, would the two halves each regrow into a whole Miles?

Brandon Sanderson

Good question. In all of the Cosmere's Shard-based magics, the greater portion of a bisected body regrows the lesser portion. If it were done EXACTLY halfway, the soul wold jump to one or the other randomly and that would regrow.

Amusingly, this first came up in 1999, six years before I got published. (I see someone else already mentioned the situation where I had to consider it.)