The Ultimate List of Questions for Brandon

Chaos

If you put two identical pieces of metal on scales and confirmed they weighed the same amount, and then had a Feruchemist fill one of them (let's say to whatever max he/she could, or else for a set period of time like 8 hours), would the one that had a charge in it weigh more?

29 minutes ago, Jondesu said:

If you put two identical pieces of metal on scales and confirmed they weighed the same amount, and then had a Feruchemist fill one of them (let's say to whatever max he/she could, or else for a set period of time like 8 hours), would the one that had a charge in it weigh more?

In our universe, we have two quantities: matter and energy. Cosmere has three: matter, energy and Investiture. So I think that Investing things is not actually changing their physical properties.

17. Have we seen a human (and I don't count Kandra here) off Scardial who is spiked by a hemalurgically charged spike?

18. In Warbreaker, is there a hemalurgically charged spike piercing Tonk Fah body? (If yes) Is it charged with the Feruchemical ability of a Pewter Ferring?

19. Have any of the Heralds been spiked with a hemalurgically charged spike?

20. Do you have a good term to differentiate between the two meanings of "spiking" someone? Spiking someone through the heart to hemalurgically charge a spike, and Spiking someone with a previously charged hemalurgical spike to give them an ability. Is there a term for when you are doing so to transform someone (say into a Koloss?)

Edited by Lord Maelstrom

2 hours ago, Oversleep said:

In our universe, we have two quantities: matter and energy. Cosmere has three: matter, energy and Investiture. So I think that Investing things is not actually changing their physical properties.

Perhaps, but we don’t know for sure, and they’re still interconnected in many ways. This came from a topic about why Nightblood is considered heavy by everyone we see pick him up (though in that case I don’t think the Investiture is doing much, if anything, to affect it’s weight).

2 hours ago, Lord Maelstrom said:

17. Have we seen a human (and I don't count Kandra here) who is skiped by a hemalurgically charged spike?

Mistborn era 1 has at least 2 or 3 examples of this.  even excluding Kandra, Koloss, and inquisitors, both Vin and Spook get spikes at some point, off the top of my head.  there are probably a couple others that we see too, but I'd have to dig more to find those.

1 minute ago, Dunkum said:

Mistborn era 1 has at least 2 or 3 examples of this.  even excluding Kandra, Koloss, and inquisitors, both Vin and Spook get spikes at some point, off the top of my head.  there are probably a couple others that we see too, but I'd have to dig more to find those.

Fairly sure they meant off Scadrial, but forgot to include that in the question. 

4 hours ago, Calderis said:

Fairly sure they meant off Scadrial, but forgot to include that in the question.

Yep! Thanks for the save. Just that he says we have seen Hemalurgy off Scadrial, but we also know that there are Kandra worldhoppers, and we suspect that the "hairpin" in Mraize's hideout is in fact a hemalurgical spike. This is just to try and confirm that when he said "Hemalurgy" he meant people who are under the influence and benefit of Hemalurgy.

Are the 'thick hairpins' in Mraize's trophy room kandra blessings? Mraize is a self proclaimed hunter, I'm sure he'd rather hunt a potentially dangerous shape shifting secret agent than visit a world and bring back some old metal bits that wouldn't have any significance to him personally. 

31 minutes ago, Silverblade5 said:

Did YM ever meet up with Arclo? Those are the only two I remember following the the idea of a single being splitting into more in order to experience more things.

Ym's belief in One is the Iriali belief. My guess is it's what inspired Arclo, though his own physiology could as well. 

8 hours ago, Silverblade5 said:

Did YM ever meet up with Arclo? Those are the only two I remember following the the idea of a single being splitting into more in order to experience more things.

Actually, Yms entire race, the Irali, follow that belief. They seem to be worldhoppers too, its pretty interesting.

My wife asked this question yesterday at Gencon

"Does harmony have Straff Venture's Atium"

Which was based off this question in the ultimate list.

"Straff tells Zane he’s buried a cache of atium where only he knows.  Shortly thereafter, he dies.  Did Straff retrieve it?  Was he lying?  Did Ruin find it and metabolize back a tiny bit of his own power?  Did Harmony eventually find it?  Or is there a little bit more atium left in the world than we realize?"

The paraphrased answer was this

Brandon: " Harmony has everything he needs, but that doesn't answer your question, No Harmony does not have Straff's Atium"

That could means there is a little more Atium hidden away during the later eras! I know it doesn't answer all off the question in the ultimate list, but it helps !

On 8/10/2017 at 3:20 PM, Toaster Retribution said:

Can Marsh compound steel?

He definitely can. He is shown using both steel allomancy and feruchemy in WoA and HoA, so he could have compounded it, presumably he just didn't know how at the time of those books. He would have known by the time of the AoL era, as he would have needed to figure out compounding to use his Atium.

Edited by Cowmanthethird
Clarification that is also posted below.

28 minutes ago, Cowmanthethird said:

He definitely can. He is shown using both steel allomancy and feruchemy in WoA and HoA, presumably he just didn't know about the possibility at the time of those books. He would have known by the time of the AoL era, as he would have needed to figure out compounding to use his Atium.

How does compounding steel allow Atium use? Or am I missing something...

4 minutes ago, ElephantEarwax said:

How does compounding steel allow Atium use? Or am I missing something...

It doesn't. But we suspect that the reason he is still alive in AoL is because he is compounding Atium. So even if he didn't know how to Compound in WoA and HoA, we figure that he knows how to compound by the time AoL rolls around. That's where Atium comes in.

PS: Do we have a WoB telling us that Marsh is compounding Atium to stay alive?

44 minutes ago, Cowmanthethird said:

He definitely can. He is shown using both steel allomancy and feruchemy in WoA and HoA, presumably he just didn't know about the possibility at the time of those books. He would have known by the time of the AoL era, as he would have needed to figure out compounding to use his Atium.

Thanks for the information. I already found out myself though, by checking HoA a week ago. This came up after a discussion in another thread where no one could find information on Marsh and his Steel. But thanks anyway!

Can a Radiant that doesn't have the surge of Transformation still Soulcast using a fabrial? Or do you end up with some odd effects since the Radiant would have bonded a spren of their own, and the fabrial would contain a trapped spren?

I know Radiants hear screams from dead spren Shardblades, but I wasn't sure if spren trapped in a gemstone would cause something similar to that effect or not.

10 minutes ago, Andy92 said:

Can a Radiant that doesn't have the surge of Transformation still Soulcast using a fabrial? Or do you end up with some odd effects since the Radiant would have bonded a spren of their own, and the fabrial would contain a trapped spren?

Soulcaster fabrials use some mechanism we are not yet aware of. They are an ancient type that don't use the modern method of trapped spren. They just need gemstones of the proper type to function. 

1 hour ago, Calderis said:

Soulcaster fabrials use some mechanism we are not yet aware of. They are an ancient type that don't use the modern method of trapped spren. They just need gemstones of the proper type to function. 

Ah I forgot about the difference between the ancient and modern fabrials. The fabrial soulcasting is probably one of my bigger gray areas of Roshar magics. I was looking up stuff on them today and started getting curious about how the whole spren trapping thing really worked. 

5 hours ago, Lord Maelstrom said:

It doesn't. But we suspect that the reason he is still alive in AoL is because he is compounding Atium. So even if he didn't know how to Compound in WoA and HoA, we figure that he knows how to compound by the time AoL rolls around. That's where Atium comes in.

PS: Do we have a WoB telling us that Marsh is compounding Atium to stay alive?

Thanks for getting to the explanation before I did. :P 

We have one where Brandon implies it, but doesn't say so outright.

CHAOS

How long is the lifespan of an Inquisitor?

BRANDON SANDERSON

It depends on the powers they're given. Some burn up quickly, and others are extended. In general though they do tend to have slightly longer lives. Since Marsh has the missing bag of atiums he's going to be around for a while.

Edit: Heh, "bag of atiums."

Also, on the topic of the post, I would like to know if kandra can create structures such as venom glands, gills, or leathery hide?

Edited by Cowmanthethird