The Ultimate List of Questions for Brandon

Chaos

9 hours ago, Stark said:

However, we also have a WOB stating that the Allomancers are depleting Scadrial's finite supply of metals, at different rates depending on the natural availability of the specific metal as well as the Allomantic burn rate.

Fairly certain that there was a more recent WoB that they won't actually drain Scadrial of metals, as there aren't enough Allomancers anymore. That said, it doesn't completely shoot down your question, so hopefully someone else will have a better answer than I've got

13 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

Fairly certain that there was a more recent WoB that they won't actually drain Scadrial of metals, as there aren't enough Allomancers anymore. That said, it doesn't completely shoot down your question, so hopefully someone else will have a better answer than I've got

Here are the WoBs

QUESTION

Is metal a renewable resource on Scadrial, or is it going to run out?

BRANDON SANDERSON

It does run out.

FOOTNOTE

supposedly contradicts another WOB: I just got back from the Phoenix Comic on, where Brandon is a guest at, and I must say it was an honor to meet him. He read parts of Wax/Wayne 2, Legion 2, and the Taravangian interlude in WoR. There weren't a lot of cosmeric goodies, but I did get a couple interesting tidbits in relation to Mistborn: Ruin would have had to manifest to reabsorb the atium, the Well of Ascension did not come at a price to Preservation's power, and perhaps the most interesting one. Burned metals are turned into a different form, and will eventually return to the planet. The Pits of Hath sin are meant to foreshadow this.

ZEBOBES

Since allomancy is powered by burning metal, isn't Scadrial going to eventually start running out of metal?

BRANDON SANDERSOM

It could happen. However, it's not really a danger with the current population of Allomancers. There just aren't enough of them.

My take is that yeah they deplete but Firstly not so much that they'll truly run out. The renewability though i imagine being over thousands of years. 

I feel like there's a WoB explicitly saying there are fewer allomancers only because the gene pool that came from the original lerasium eaters is so diluted but I can't find it. 

Edited by Extesian

12 more questions today: all AonDor.

AonDor

• Does Aon Sheo (Aon for Death) actually kill?
    • If so, how humane of a death would it be, with no modifiers or anything, just the base Aon?
    • Secondly, what kind of things could even be modified if the premise is death?
  • Can Aon Aha (Breath, Air) make wind in the same vein as Aon Ehe and making fire?
    • Same Question, but with Aon Eno and moving water.
    • If yes(to either), can they be used in conjunction with a windmill/waterwheel to produce power?
  • What was the benefit of early Elantrians using Aon Ehe fire lanterns as opposed to an object inscribed with Aon Ashe for light? We know the lanterns could keep burning underwater, but I feel like Ashe shouldn't have any trouble either since it is essentially a lightbulb.
  • Aon Omi requires the one drawing it to feel sincere affection for those around them to work. If it were inscribed into a plate, would that affection have to be there each time it is activated, or only when it was drawn?
  • Can Aon Tae do anything besides opening stuff like doors?
  • Is Aon Eta (Body, Flesh, Muscle) the specialized modifiers for healing with Aon Ien?
  • Given that Aon Ate is only mentioned in a deleted scene, would you mind answering if it's power to "make a room go silent for a time" can be considered canon?
  • Is there any drawback on mental faculties after Aon Ene's "light of the mind" wears off?

Edit: Day 2: 8 more AonDor Questions

• Do all Aons have a respective power?
  • How closely do the definitions of Aons factor in with their powers?
    • Are there any where the correlations would be a stretch?
  • Aon Kii causes the guilty to feel pain, but how/why did the early Elantrians connect that pain with guilt?
  • Are there other Aons like Omi that require additional factors to draw?
  • Did Raoden use the Aons for compass points(North, West, etc..) as modifiers for his Aon Tia teleportation?
    • If no, what did he use?
    • If yes, are there other modifiers that could transport you forwards, left, etc.., respective to your current orientation?
Edited by The One Who Connects
Day 2 Haul.

Is there or has there ever been a whole shard whose pure investiture gained sentience after their vessel died? As in, vessel dies, shard is not taken up by a new vessel or splintered, investiture gains sentience.

Edit: I guess that's begging for a RAFO maybe it should be phrased in a way that asks if it was possible for a shard to gain sentience without a vessel.

Edited by Ciridae

3 hours ago, Ciridae said:

Edit: I guess that's begging for a RAFO maybe it should be phrased in a way that asks if it was possible for a shard to gain sentience without a vessel.

We know it to be possible:

Dor, which is an amalgamation of Dominion and Devotion, has been pressed together and stuffed into the Cognitive Realm by Odium who didnt want it to gain sentience, as Investiture will do if it is left alone. It will either seek someone to be its Vessel or it will gain sentience.

source

Completely random and hypothetical, but me and my friend have just got to know.

What would be the Feruchemical and Allomantic properties, if any, of Adamantium?

We're more interested in Feruchemy, but Allomancy would be awesome too!

Edited by Rawrbert
Forgot about Allomancy

4 hours ago, Rawrbert said:

Completely random and hypothetical, but me and my friend have just got to know.

What would be the Feruchemical and Allomantic properties, if any, of Adamantium?

We're more interested in Feruchemy, but Allomancy would be awesome too!

Well, it would probably have to be a godmetal of some Shard to begin with. Then it depends on (probably) what Shard is it (as godmetal's properties seem to be tied to the Intent of the Shard; obviously we have ridiculously small sample size but it seems to be a reasonable assumption).

IIRC adamantium's schtick is being indestructible? (or nearly indestructible. Isn't vibranium also indestructible...?) So we need a Shard with intent tied to being hard to destroy or something that lasts (Preservation comes to mind). Let's say it's something like Persistence of Perserverance (or Endurance).

I think Feruchemical property would be tied to toughness - you could store your body's toughness and become very fragile. Tapping it would make you indestructible (of course of varying level). Since Feruchemical tin allows to store different senses, I think it could - as a godmetal - transcend the Physical - Cognitive - Spiritual division of Feruchemy and allow you to alter all three; you could store adamantium for your mind (making it suspectible and fragile, unstable, closer to madness) and tapping would make the mind very resilient (for example to trauma or emotional Allomancy). You could store it for your soul; it would make it unstable (remember that part about Inquisitors' soul falling apart and being held by linchpin spike? Think that) and allow Ruin to influence you and it could perhaps Snap you. Tapping would make your soul resistant (for example Hemalurgy wouldn't work; Damnation, you could potentially block Shardblades with your bare hands!).

Allomantic property is harder since it has to pair with an opposite effect of the alloy of adamantium. I have to think about that.
Anyway, Hemalurgic property would allow to steal anything (since godmetals seem to be able to steal anything) with the added property (like atium holds better and trellium allows to hide) of slower decay.

A few F-Tin Questions, courtesy of @Calderis

According to the AoL Ars Arcanum, separate senses have to be stored in separate Tinminds, assuming that the Ars Arcanum is correct...

1. Two Feruchemists can both store in the same Metalmind and have it be partitioned, but would the second be limited to storing the same sense as the first?
    • If not, why is the first Feruchemist limited to that sense and the second one isn't?
  2. Is the AA right that separate senses(in Bendalloy's case, nutrients and liquids) have to be stored in separate Metalminds?

I'm not too great at this whole theorizing and questioning stuff, though I do want to ask some cool questions if Brandon comes to the DFW area anytime soon. So, I'm gonna post a few question ideas, and can someone help me out if they think they might get RAFO'd?

Could you perhaps describe the Allomantic effects of an atium alloy? Preferably atium-steel or atium-iron, though any one of them would be cool.

If you built an object in the shape of a human made out of metal, kind of like a golem, could you Awaken it? Possibly even Awaken it to a level of sentience/sapience like Nightblood?

A question inspired by this thread ;

Could a Shardbearer, with practice at mental commands, summon his blade with the tip pointing towards his hands, rather than having the hilt fall into it? It would be a very useful way of getting out of bonds if your hands were chained to a wall, for example, if you could summon the blade with enough precision to drop and slice through the chains.

2 hours ago, Rawrbert said:

Could a Shardbearer, with practice at mental commands, summon his blade with the tip pointing towards his hands, rather than having the hilt fall into it? It would be a very useful way of getting out of bonds if your hands were chained to a wall, for example, if you could summon the blade with enough precision to drop and slice through the chains.

Additional question based off that, if your hands were superglued together, would summoning the blade force your hands apart around the hilt(whether it would rip your skin while doing it is irrelevant), or would that actually prevent you from summoning the blade?

And a few that I forgot to ask yesterday:

1. Are Fabrials limited to accessing the 10 Surges, or can they affect other things?
    • If they are limited to Surges, what Surge is Navani's Painrial & Pain Knife (pain decrease/increase respectively) manipulating?
    • If they aren't limited to Surges, can they manipulate other magic systems?
      • Similarly, can Scadrian Ettmetal Cubes manipulate other magic systems?
  2. Are there other classifications of Fabrials beyond the 5 we currently have(Augmenter/Diminisher, Conjoiner/Reverser, and Alerter)?
    • If so, do you plan on on introducing them at some point within the SA books?
    • If not, will there be examples of all 10 Surges being used in Fabrials in the SA Books?
      • (Both bullets) If no, will you introduce those other Fabrials at all or will you have them remain a mystery?

Jasnah gets ranged soulcasting as a result of her surge combination. If a leecher or nicroburst had access to Transportation, would they be able to use their powers at a distance? In a similar vein, could allomantic duralumin or nicrosil  be used to boost non-allomantic abilities? 

Do Heralds need to consume Investiture in order to stay in their bodies (as they're reborn Cognitive Shadows which means they're pretty much Returned-like beings)?

What would happen if a Soulbearer tried to store all of his Spiritweb at once? (assuming lots of nicrosil to store into)?

23 hours ago, Emerald101 said:

Is this confirmed? IIRC it's only speculation.

You're right, I thought it had been but I couldn't find anything confirming it. I hope we get more info on soulcasting in OB, there's just so many questions.

On June 20, 2017 at 6:18 PM, Oversleep said:

Would Leecher burning chromium be able to destroy Shades of Threnody with bare hands?

I'm pretty sure that Nicki Savage does something like this to Nazh in one of the BoM broadsheet stories.

EDIT: Some questions:

What would a savant for [insert temporal metal] be like?

What effects do shardblades have on plants?

What shard has the best future sight?

Is savantism possible for every metal?

Can every type of compounder become a savant in their compounded metal (I.e. Healing savant, speed savant)? If so, what would a [insert spiritual metal] compounder savant be like?

What would a copper compounder be like?

Edited by Straw