upcoming or rumored projects

Fedcomic

Hi! I'm looking for information on Brandon Sanderson's upcoming book releases. So I was excited when I read that "If you'd like to find information about upcoming or rumored projects, we have an article for that as well." But there's no link to this article, and I couldn't find it. Also, I couldn't find any contact information so I could ask where this article was. So here I am, on the forum. Anyone have some knowledge for me?

Thanks!

2011: Mistorn: The Alloy of Law. A short novel Brandon wrote while taking a break between WoT books. Turned out good enough that he decided to publish it.

2012: A Memory of Light. Final book in Robert Jordan's The Wheel of time.

2012-beyond: Stormlight Archive #2. Tentatively titled either, "Highprince of War" or "The Shattered Plains." Followed immediately by Stormlight Archive #3.

Post SA #3: A sequel to Elantris.

Pattern begins: Two SA books followed by one book in another series. Then back for two more SA books. Rinse and repeat until SA is finished. That's as far ahead as he's planned, as far as I know. He's got enough books in his head to just keep on going after SA though.

From Brandon's website. Some are already out but I was to lazy to edit them.

BOOKS YOU WILL SEE SOON

* Towers of Midnight (November 2.)

* Alcatraz Versus the Shattered Lens (December 2010.)

—A note on Alcatraz. This is the fourth and final of the Alcatraz books in my contract. I do plan there to be more in this series, but I don't have time for them right now. And so, for now, this is going to stand as the ending of the series. I'll do Alcatraz Five eventually, I promise.

* Scribbler (Early 2012)

—A note on Scribbler. This is a shorter steampunk book I wrote in 2007, just before I got the call about The Wheel of Time. It's quite good, and Tor has decided to purchase it. It involves chalk-based magic and a boy who is the son of the cleaning lady at a school for people who learn the chalk magic. I haven't had time to give it a revision, but will likely use some of the time in my free months between now and January to do a draft of it. If I turn it in January or February, you won't see it until a year after that, due to scheduling.

BOOKS YOU WILL SEE SOMEWHAT SOON

* A Memory of Light (March 2012.)

* Stormlight Archive Book Two (Late 2012 or early 2013.)

* Stormlight Archive Book Three (One year after Book Two.)

ANTICIPATED SEQUELS

* Alcatraz Five (Indefinite hiatus.)

* Elantris Two (Planned to be written after Stormlight Three.)

* Second Mistborn trilogy (It's coming someday, I promise.)

* Nightblood: Book two of Warbreaker (Coming someday.)

—Some notes here. Elantris has three books in the series, but they are loose sequels of each other. This means that side characters in one become main characters in the next. So while you'll see Raoden and Sarene in the second book, they won't be main characters. (Kiin's children will be.) Warbreaker is two books. Mistborn is a trilogy of trilogies, with the second trilogy in an urban (20th-century-level technology) setting. For Stormlight, I'm planning a pattern of two every three years, with a different epic—a standalone, or one of the sequels mentioned above—in between. Thus the Elantris sequel is next in line after Stormlight Three, which would be followed by Stormlight Four and Five.

MAYBE COMING SOMEDAY BUT ONLY PARTIALLY WRITTEN

* Dark One (YA dark fantasy.)

* Steelheart (Superhero apocalypse.)

* The King's Necromancer

* The Silence Divine (Shardworld novel, standalone.)

* White Sand (Shardworld trilogy.)

* The Liar of Partinel (Shardworld novel, one of two.)

* Dragonsteel (Major Shardworld epic. Won't be written until Stormlight is done.)

POSSIBLE PROJECTS FOR MY TIME OFF

* Mistborn short story (Looking likely.)

* Unnamed urban fantasy (This is what I'm working on right now. Watch Twitter/Facebook for updates on this story. It involves a necromancer pizza deliveryman as a protagonist.)

* Scribbler revisions (Will almost certainly be done.)

* Finishing one of the unfinished novels mentioned above (Not likely, but you never know.)

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

LevenThumps, that wasn't a particularly necessary doublepost. Remember, we also have an edit function if you want to add something.

And yes, Brandon is quite good at planning things out. Of course, he still manages to surprise us sometimes. ;) *cough*AlloyofLaw*cough*

[sarcasm] Yeah, and we know how incredibly good he is at writing "stand alone" novels without creating a series...[/sarcasm]

To be fair, Elantris and Warbreaker are standalones. We may know that he intends to return to those worlds at some point, but the story he set out to tell with each of those novels. Even if he never writes their intended sequels, they still stand on their own as complete stories, which basically says yes, he is good at writing stand alone novels.

To be fair, Elantris and Warbreaker are standalones. We may know that he intends to return to those worlds at some point, but the story he set out to tell with each of those novels. Even if he never writes their intended sequels, they still stand on their own as complete stories, which basically says yes, he is good at writing stand alone novels.

I guess a better way to rephrase that sarcasm is that he's not that good at writing only one book in a world. If he creates a new world, you're pretty sure he's going to come back to it.

I guess a better way to rephrase that sarcasm is that he's not that good at writing only one book in a world. If he creates a new world, you're pretty sure he's going to come back to it.

I do believe that the Silence Divine, the book set on the planet in the same system of Roshar, will just be a stand-alone novel, without a sequel.

Unfortunately Memory of Light isn't actually scheduled for 2012....(it was) though I hope they push the date up to at least Christmas 2012....I read the other day that it's planned for January 8th 2013.

Here's the link. Though perhaps I am out of some sort of loop, as I am new here.

http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/1058/A-MEMORY-OF-LIGHT-Release-Date

It's relatively new news (lol), they just announced that yesterday, so you're not out of the loop!

I just wonder what that means for Stormlight 2. It seems A Memory of Light was pushed back because they want lots of time for the editing, but does that mean Stormlight 2 is going to come out way later than originally anticiapted too? Or might it be released soon after AMoL? I suppose it depends largely on when Brandon finishes Stormlight 2.

I'm certainly willing to wait as long as it takes, so I don't mind. But I do wonder.

Brandon talks about it here: Barnes & Nobles December 2012 Signing

QUESTION

Quick question I get asked all the time working here at Barnes and Noble. When are you expected general release dates for Stormlight Archive #2?

BRANDON SANDERSON

<snip>

Stormlight 2, if I'm on the ball, is March or April of the following year [2013]. That is what I'm really shooting for.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that there is a good chance it will get released early-mid 2013. He seems to write his books pretty fast, which is great for all his fans.

EDIT: It's kind of amazing how far in the future he's planned all his books. If you add up the next 9 Stormlight Archive Books, next 6 books that make up the next 2 mistborn trilogies, the next 2 elantris books and the next warbreaker book, you get 18 books that he plans to right. He also has so many series he plans to write that he hasn't started yet.

Edited by KChan
Doublepost

Last I heard, it was more like a summer release date. However, with AMoL coming out when it is, I think it's reasonable to believe that SA2 might be pushed back as well. Yes, Brandon is a prolific writer, but there's more to publishing than actually writing the book. There's the whole editing process to go through, typesetting, illustrations/cover art, publicity, actual manufacturing time, and book tours to be considered.

Plus, you know. The fact that he's a human being and not a robot. ;)