Shadows of Self tour: Brookline, MA

This was my first time going to a signing and I didn't realize the theater was going to be sold out. I was about 10 people away from being let in from the standby line, so if anyone can tell me what I missed from the reading is appreciate it.

I don't know if this has been asked or discussed before, but I asked Brandon if it was possible that Hoid had any descendants running around in the books. He replied "It's possible." But wouldn't give any details on whether or not we had or would see it.

Brandon was super nice and came early to sign books for people as they were waiting in line.  He answered 3 of my questions...though now I am having trouble remembering both my wording and his! Sheesh fangirlitis I guess...hopefully it is on AndrewStirlingMacDonald's recording? ASM- happy to help with that if you need it.  

The gist was (note: NOT VERBATIM! Sorry! Its all barely a blur now.. :blink:  ) : 

Q: Is the Fleet story indicative of future events/ending of SA? A: Yes.  Hoid is telling Kaladin things he needs to know.  But Hoid's knowledge of the future doesn't extend that far...(or something like that). 

Q: Are the scholars influencing the behavior of the spren with their beliefs? A: Yes. Belief and expectations influence all the magic systems...

Q: Are the spren's behavior (in the scholar scene) related to how subatomic particles behave when separated over long distances? A: Yes.

SO sorry I can't remember exact wordings *cringe* but this is how I am remembering it now more or less-- hopefully transcript will clarify...

Reading was Dalinar flashback from next book. But he asked that it not be recorded/transcribed until tour is over. 

Someone also asked in the audience what Brandon's inspiration was for the Stormlight magic system and he said subatomic physics (I think....)

Looking gforward to reading the questions and answers others got! 

My first ever Brandon signing! It was a great experience! I hope he comes back to Boston.

Andrew moving along the line asking for 17th Sharders convinced me that I had to sign up here (after being a silent reader for a few years).

Hope you got on the train ok Andrew. It was great talking to you and the others on the Green Line T on my way home afterwards.

(I am the one who lined up twice and got a book signed for my hubby's birthday. He was well pleased to receive it, though I will probably finish reading it before he does!)

I had a great time at the signing tonight. Didn't really get a chance to say hi to anyone because I showed up late and had to leave as soon as I got my books signed, but I did have time for a couple questions. Not sure where else I should post these. The wording is as close as I can remember.

Q: How much of Nightblood's personality and effects come from the Command he was given?

A: A moderate amount

Not much info there, unfortunately. I did a little better on the second try.

Q: When someone is inside a time bubble where time is going faster, do they age more quickly than they would outside?

A: Yes.

Q: So there's a sort of relativistic effect going on there?

A: Yes, I tried to keep it as close as possible to the actual effects. The only thing I didn't include, I think, is the red-shift of light when it leaves the bubble, because that would irradiate everything around it.

That's very interesting to me, personally. I had no idea how much physics Brandon knows, or how much research he does when creating these systems. But together with the question above about spren and subatomic particles, I have some theories to craft. If you'll excuse me, I need to go do some calculations...

That's very interesting to me, personally. I had no idea how much physics Brandon knows, or how much research he does when creating these systems.

A lot.

With the help of Peter, of course. I believe it was Peter who pointed out the irradiation danger to Brandon. *goes to look for evidence*

Edit: Found it!

Brandon: Peter's got one for us. 'Cause we were going to do redshift: like the actual original writing for it had redshifts;Peter's like "Dude, you will microwave everybody" I'm like "Oh man".

Edited by skaa

Elmyndreda, I did successfully catch the bus, just got back home to Allentown about 30 minutes ago. Getting the book signed for your husband's birthday was a great idea! ::files away idea for wife's future birthdays::

I recorded the full Q & A, as well as a bunch of questions from people in line. I'll get 'em transcribed asap. I had an amazing time, and riding the T back afterward full of Sanderson fans was a wonderful, surreal experience. I also took a picture of that Mistborn cosplayer who was sitting on the T with us as she walked down the stairs at the transfer station, tassles spreading out behind her as she moved. I tweeted the picture and Brandon RT'd it, so my twitter has been blowing up like crazy all night long, which is one of the best feelings ever.

Unless you have a quote Kythis, I disagree with you. I've never seen Brandon state that Elantris, Mistborn Era 1, and Warbreaker happen concurrently. In fact, I'm pretty sure there's a significant gap between Elantris and Mistborn. Did I miss something? Brandon's mostly stopped talking about timelines over the past couple years anyway.

Very likely old outdated information then. My fault there.

Andrew, glad you got home safe. I didn't realize you were taking a photo then. But yes it is an awesome photo! I retweeted it too as soon as I saw it :-)

Yes that T ride home was the perfect finish to a wonderful evening. I hope Brandon comes by again soon.

Yesterday I saw his tweet about visiting the MIT Coop and signing his books. If I knew I would've stalked him there heheh. I went in there just now and bought one of them *yeay*

There are still a few of them left.

Ok, I transcribed the relavant (or at least somewhat relavant) questions that I recorded during the pre-event signing line. I asked Brandon if it would be ok to follow him and record audio for the 17th, and he said "definitely," so I did my best to record without being obnoxious or getting in anyone's way, although the rep from the bookstore seemed to be extremely annoyed by me :(

I didn't get as much as I would've liked, but some good tidbits here and there. The last questions, about true bodies, were from the end of the night, when I got back in the very end of the line to request a set of the Mistborn earbuds for a huge Sanderson fan I am friends with but couldn't make it up to the event from Pennsylvania.

Brandon: Alright, Mr. Kilt! Any questions?

Me: Yes. I have a question about the way that the brass symbol changed. It looks like brass no longer has a dot. Can you talk about that?

Brandon: That is just Issac deciding how he wants the symbols to look. It is nothing of Cosmerilogical import.

Me: Is there anything of cosmerilogical import about the way that the symbols have changed over time?

Brandon: Yes, slight import. I mean, it's just the idea that as things have evolved, and we are moving toward typesetting; we've moved into typesetting in the modern era, you're going to see the symbols change to kind of match different eras.

Me: So Wax, in the prologue of Alloy of Law thinks of himself as Wax, and then as Waxillium for the rest of the book, and then that's reversed in the second one. Is that a thing of Cosmeric import, or is it just a -

Brandon: It kind of indicated how he feels about himself.

Me: Could it have any impact on his ability to use investiture?

Brandon: Not really. The investiture on Scadrial is not going to care how you're feeling about yourself. On other worlds, that's important, but not on Scadrial.

Me: Is being a little bit crazy a prerequisite to becoming a Knight Radiant?

Brandon: Um, well, so, for many of the Cosmere magics to work, you have to, um, it has to get into the soul somehow. Right? Sometimes you ram it in by spiking someone else's soul and ripping off a piece and sticking it into yours. Ah, sometimes, it just seeps in the cracks. Um, sometimes the bond allows it to kind of bypass some of this, but it's usually traumatic experience. So crazy is not required, but there's got to be a place for the magic to go, to get in.

Me: Are there any other Davars that are invested?

Brandon: [laughs] That is TOTALLY a RAFO.

Me: I mean, I knew it, when I asked..

Brandon "Are there any?" is an odd question. Depends on what time you're talking about. But let's just say there are few people in all of Roshar who've gotten as far as Shallan.

[Obscured question]
Brandon: So Roshar's also high-oxygen, which does some weird things. That's how we justify the crustaceons. Which does weird things to people as well, so.

[another obscured question]
Brandon: For some of the planets you definitely need to have some kind of magical adjustment happen, otherwise it's very difficult. Others are easier to get between.

Q: How does the density of Roshar compare to the density of Earth?

Brandon: Roshar's density? So, Roshar is less dense than Earth. As well as being a bit smaller. I mean, we're at .7 gravity, so you can run the numbers. I'm sure the people on here (nods at my smartphone) will. And they'll figure that out.

Q: I've been listening to the audiobooks of Stormlight. There are some really great character voices. Have you told him how to do the characters?

Brandon: I have not told him how to do characters. I leave that to him. I give him pronunciations.

Q: So the Australian Lopen is all him.

Brandon: Yeah, the Australian is all him. Which is weird, because they're, they're based off of Hispanic cultures, so, hearing the Australian - but at the same time, they're not Hispanic, because there are no Hispanics on Roshar, so an Australian's probably just as accurate as anything else. But yes, I intended the Herdazians to have a Hispanic flair to them.

Q: Does double copper give you perfect memory?

Brandon: Good question. I haven't answered that one yet.

Q: Who is your favorite living author?

Brandon:  Favorites right now, writing. Probably my favorite right now is Guy Gabriel Kay. It was Terry Pratchet until he passed away. And it was Robert Jordan until HE passed away. So I hope Guy stays safe. Because getting picked as my favorite author is apparently a death sentence.

Q: Has anyone figured out what the secret in the map was, in Words of Radiance?

Brandon: Yeah, they have. That it's modelled after the Julia Set. Which is meant to indicate that Roshar was designed specifically.

Me: Did it happen through crem buildup?

Brandon: No.

Me: Is it possible for a kandra to use invested material to form a true body?

Brandon: Yes, that's a possibility.

Me: Could they use shardplate?

Brandon: They absolutely could.

The part about Roshar being modelled after the Julia set indicates that it was designed specifically was very interesting to me. I threw the crem question in because I'd seen someone posit the theory somewhere here in a forum, but I hadn't seen the idea that Roshar was a deliberately designed continent discussed yet. ​

I also recorded the Q & A from the signing itself; I'll post the transcription sometime this week.

Edited by AndrewStirlingMacDonald