Who is your LEAST favorite character in the Cosmere?

Patar

4 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Tonk Fah is just creepy, and I really don't like him.

And while she isn't my least favorite by any means, I have to mention Jasnah as well. She is a fantastic character, and extremely well-written. But I just don't like her much.

I have to agree about Jasnah. Not that she is a badly written character or a poorly thought off one, she's just one I find highly unsympathetic. She had one sentence which made me curious about her, but overall, she comes across as so cold and detached, I find it hard to like her.

Just now, maxal said:

I have to agree about Jasnah. Not that she is a badly written character or a poorly thought off one, she's just one I find highly unsympathetic. She had one sentence which made me curious about her, but overall, she comes across as so cold and detached, I find it hard to like her.

This. Very much this. I also find her a bit overpowered at the moment. It feels like whatever the problem is, Jasnah can solve it. And the fact that I don't like her, but 90% of the community does, also means that I find her overrated, and that I don't really get the hype.

Just now, Toaster Retribution said:

This. Very much this. I also find her a bit overpowered at the moment. It feels like whatever the problem is, Jasnah can solve it. And the fact that I don't like her, but 90% of the community does, also means that I find her overrated, and that I don't really get the hype.

I never got the hype over Jasnah nor the interest the community was given her. She was a supporting character in WoK and not a very sympathetic one. She died tragically in WoR and while I was surprised, I shed no tears. What has she done to make herself so interesting? Then she triumphantly comes back, but she remains cold. She is supposed to be "politically savvy", but she makes one gigantic mistake because of her own self-centrism. I also hated how she was presented as "battle and war knowledgeable" when Jasnah has never been onto battles before nor had she ever been on a battle field. The fact everyone just assumes "Jasnah knows what she is doing" was frankly ridiculous. 

Now, do not get me wrong, I love the "warrior princess" trope, but this isn't Jasnah. This isn't how the character was presented and drafted. Having Jasnah morph into this over-powered Radiant who can basically do anything without breathing hard, who knows about everything even topics she should not master, how's blindly trusted with basically anything, was just too much for me.

What happened to experience? As least with Shallan, Brandon made her fail due to her ignorance, but I would also criticize how Dalinar just takes for granted she will partake into the battle in a useful manner even if she's a 17 years old girl who knows nothing about it. Same with Renarin who single-handily defeats the thunderclast by "looking at it". *sigh* I was deflated Adolin's awesome fight was reduced to nothing as Renarin can destroy a thunderclast without even trying anywhere near hard. So disappointing.

How Radiants were suddenly treated as if they knew everything about everything, as if their powers could substitute for knowledge and experience while Adolin was tossed aside despite being one of the only character who actually knows what he is doing just diminished the impact of the ending climax.

I agree that I can't stand Jasnah as a character. She falls into the trope of the princess who believes she is infallible, and is going to singlehandedly save everyone she cares about. Except, she doesn't appear to actually care about anyone, and has no character development. I guess it at least a big contrast from the way Vivenna and Sarene seem to learn from their mistakes.

I know I saw that someone said they don’t like the interludes in stormlight and I’m totally with them on that.  As far as other characters go, I don’t like Vivenna (she’s gotten better though), Shallan (since OB, I lked her just fine in WoR), MeLaan, who is so annying at times.  Oh and I really hate Straff Venture, but he’s well done, so he’s not a least favorite character.  Spook in book one when I can’t understand him.  I also don’t like Lopen.  I know people love him, but sometimes he’s just too much.  He can be around for a little, but then he needs to go off screen.

On 3/17/2018 at 1:48 PM, Aurora the Rioter said:

I know I saw that someone said they don’t like the interludes in stormlight and I’m totally with them on that.  As far as other characters go, I don’t like Vivenna (she’s gotten better though), Shallan (since OB, I lked her just fine in WoR), MeLaan, who is so annying at times.  Oh and I really hate Straff Venture, but he’s well done, so he’s not a least favorite character.  Spook in book one when I can’t understand him.  I also don’t like Lopen.  I know people love him, but sometimes he’s just too much.  He can be around for a little, but then he needs to go off screen.

I agree about Melaan 100%

But Straff Venture was awesome. He was so awesome he even had to die in a great way.

My least favorite character in the cosmere, without a doubt, is Treledees from Warbreaker. His haughty, simpering, whimpering arrogance made me want to punch him in the teeth through the whole book. Then the sudden guilt I had when he went and got all noble by throwing himself on enemy swords to save his god-king made me hate him forever. :P 

OB Spoilers

Spoiler

On 3/14/2018 at 2:23 PM, supersmith said:

My very least favorite character is Ruin. He has no depth other then, well, ruining things. Next is Drehy. Now I’m not against gay people or gay characters, but there’s no reason to make him gay. Nothing even happens with it. There just like: “he’s gay”. And that’s all that really happens.

So, frankly this is how it should be. Drehy, and his development in this book as a homosexual, is iconic for a masculine gay man. 

The "woa I never knew" moment from Kaladin is one that friends of masculine gay guys all go through, as is the group-convo that Bridge 4 had about him being gay but not feminine. As a masculine gay man myself, I have the first kind of moment with virtually every new friend that I make. Then, the group convo is almost identical to one that I had with my MMA buddies after I came out.

Almost all of my friends are straight dudes. I like to fight, play sports, and dress like a jock. I don't identify with any of the "types" of gay people that are getting pushed through the media these days, so Drehy is legitimately the first gay character I've seen in any kind of fictional medium that I could relate to.

"Fan service" or not, Brandon delivered this characterization perfectly.

Edited by Saal

Umm... I'm that optimistic person who literally finds the good in every character.

Well, except for Amaram and Sadeas, but apparently those are out of the question, so I really have no idea.I don't like...

Spoiler

Taravangian! He wasn't banned!

Honestly, I hate the guy with a passion. A friend of mine characterized him as "so so so so (the friend continued to repeat the word at least seventy-three times, I counted) stupid," and I wholeheartedly agree. Taravangian, one simply does not make a "deal" with Odium. It will end up badly for you. Also, don't pretend to be nice to Dalinar, when you really actually plan to stab him in the back. 

Also, can I just say: there are a few people who are NEVER going to be people's least favorite. Lift, for instance, is too awesome to be someone's least favorite. Adolin is a fan favorite, as well. Same with Lopen. Granted, I love those three characters, so... 

Edited by Ashspren
I literally just realized that I didn't put OB stuff in a spoiler tag...

I really feel like the only one who likes Jasnah. I loved how smart and capable she was, anyway this isn’t about who we like but about those we dislike. Moash is definitely number one! Seriously, he’s so frustrating how he’s so self destructive.  Also Vivenna, a self righteous person, even after all she goes through being homeless. Hoid also drives me crazy... just get to the point already... all the talking and story telling. He drives me nuts. 

8 hours ago, MiSyl said:

I really feel like the only one who likes Jasnah. I loved how smart and capable she was, anyway this isn’t about who we like but about those we dislike. Moash is definitely number one! Seriously, he’s so frustrating how he’s so self destructive.  Also Vivenna, a self righteous person, even after all she goes through being homeless. Hoid also drives me crazy... just get to the point already... all the talking and story telling. He drives me nuts. 

I LOVE JASNAH! I’m so glad I found someone else. She’s such a smart, strong, and powerful character. She’s been able to shoulder all of her problems and be an incredible force on Roshar.

I do agree with you about Moash... 

On 3/16/2018 at 11:45 AM, Gancho Libre said:

has anybody mentioned Old Chapps?

Least Favorite / weirdest / most unimportant character EVER

I actually wholeheartedly disagree with this. Old Chapps is an extremely useful literary device to recover Nightblood after he is disposed of by Denth and Tonk Fah without making their efforts to get rid of him seem asinine. Also he gives us a little insight into the Hallandren underground that otherwise would have been clunky to include.

6 hours ago, The Sovereign said:

I actually wholeheartedly disagree with this. Old Chapps is an extremely useful literary device to recover Nightblood after he is disposed of by Denth and Tonk Fah without making their efforts to get rid of him seem asinine. Also he gives us a little insight into the Hallandren underground that otherwise would have been clunky to include.

good point about the underground part, but the only reason he exists is to get Nightblood

any type of character at all would have worked in this.

all he does is get influenced by Nightblood because really, he wouldn't have found the sword if Nightblood didn't call to him.

So, if Old Chapps wasn't around, anybody else would have gotten him.