Emperor's Soul Deleted Scene

I know that The Emperor's Soul originally had Hoid appear in the intro, but that chapter got deleted. 

I've got the vague impression from a couple places, including Coppermind, that it might have been put up as part of a promotional thing for the book, but if it was I haven't been able to find it.  I know some deleted scenes make it to the website from time to time, but it isn't anywhere on the site that I can find.

Has it actually been put up anywhere, or was it just mentioned by Brandon?

That would be nice, Mi'ch. It's not exactly a Dragonsteel-level spoiler, so you could just put up a "THE FOLLOWING PERTAINS TO A (CANON) DELETED SCENE IN THE EMPEROR'S SOUL REMOVED FOR REASONS OF PACING" banner and summarize for us. :)

That would be nice, Mi'ch. It's not exactly a Dragonsteel-level spoiler, so you could just put up a "THE FOLLOWING PERTAINS TO A (CANON) DELETED SCENE IN THE EMPEROR'S SOUL REMOVED FOR REASONS OF PACING" banner and summarize for us. :)

THE FOLLOWING PERTAINS TO A (CANON) DELETED SCENE IN THE EMPEROR'S SOUL REMOVED FOR REASONS OF PACING. Summary by Rubix.

Hoid shows up, mocks the protagonist (as is his MO) and promptly runs off set (also his MO).

fin

What an excellent warning, Rubix! :)

What does the mocking consist of, if I may ask?:

"Neener-neener I've got the shiny now"? "Sorry (not), but it's for the greater good"? "Behold as I use the power of the Moon Scepter to conquer the world!"?

SPOILERS FOLLOW: Well first he REDACTED BY PETER and then he ALSO REDACTED into the DID YOU REALLY THINK THAT THIS WHOLE THING WOULDN'T GET REDACTED? COME ON JOSH, THIS ISN'T EVEN FUNNY. 

And then it picks up where the book begins.

edited by Peter Ahlstrom: no spoilers on the fun stuff!

SPOILERS FOLLOW: Well first he REDACTED BY PETER and then he ALSO REDACTED into the DID YOU REALLY THINK THAT THIS WHOLE THING WOULDN'T GET REDACTED? COME ON JOSH, THIS ISN'T EVEN FUNNY. 

And then it picks up where the book begins.

edited by Peter Ahlstrom: no spoilers on the fun stuff!

Um.

FULL DISCLAIMER. My post above was entirely satirical. Pointing it out in said post would have ruined all the fun. :D

*Tries to figure out what happens September 1st*

1. Going to go ahead and turn in for the night. Need to ponder on this next sequence a little more. Might finish tomorrow night.

2. Hour three was slower, as expected. 2,000 words total. This was a tricky scene to write.

3. Update: at 1500 words after two hours of writing tonight. A good clip, but the next part will be slower. Novel stands at 310k words so far.

4. Music is now the new Daft Punk album. I like it, but I might need something...louder for this next scene. Keying up Metallica in case.

5. 1,000 words into the climax of Words of Radiance. Still not sure if I'll be able to finish tonight, but it's possible.

6. Also, yes, let's pretend I said I'll WRITE the book instead of RIGHT it. My brain is elsewhere at the moment. :) Onward.

7. Turning on a little bit of music by Explosions in the Sky for a writing soundtrack tonight. Let's see how this goes.

8. Getting really close to finishing Words of Radiance. I might right the ending tonight, as a matter of fact, depending on how late I stay up.

Not saying this is related or anything.

Edited by Phantom Monstrosity

The hugo awards perhaps?

http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/1152

The nominations for the 2013 Hugo Awards were recently released, and I'm elated to announce that The Emperor's Soul has been nominated for Best Novella.

The winners will be announced at Worldcon on September 1st.

So riding on the fame of him winning an award at the hugo awards (presumably involving his books getting increased sales) he can release the new scene.

Edited by Nepene

That'll do, Nepene, that'll do. Though I don't particularly think Brandon needs to "ride on fame" in order to release a few hundred words for free on his website. Probably just more of a commemoration, or wanting to avoid any chance of affecting or looking like he's trying to affect the voting.

I was going to guess the day after the WoK (2010) or Legion (2012) anniversary (August 31), but, yeah, Hugo.

Edited by Kurkistan

• 3 months later...

Um.

Theoretically we could release it anytime, but I prefer to do so after September 1st.

I'm curious about that deleted chapter, so I dare play "thread necromanting" and hope it would be added to the library. Thank you in advance.

The forum index says "Emperor's Soul Deleted..." whenever this thread is on top. I was expecting a theory about computer analogies, and how easy it is to delete the soul Shai made for him.

edit: Also, to taunt us more, they could add this to Steelhunt instead of just giving it away. Not that I'd suggest something like that. :P

Edited by Morsk

• Chaos locked this topic