Joel is a Rithmatist (spoilers)

tipbruley

On 7/23/2013 at 3:12 PM, Crysanja said:

was actualy very odd, because Joel seemd not to have any strategic overview at the end, because he didnt even realise they had won. (how can you fight in a good way when you dont have a clue, who you fight against.)

i would go as far as to say the ending of that fight was very poor written, because before in the book, it was allways about watching the oponent, to use the corret strategy.

Well... thing is when you're fighting against 50 students there isn't a whole lot of specific strategy involved because everyone has slightly different defenses and offenses (it's basically an issue of how fast/well you can draw and whether everyone is targeting you or not). They did talk about how they knew the students would tend to go for fast defenses and fast offenses (as taught by Nalizar), rather than using a more solid defense which is why Joel and Melody took time for a strong defense.

• 4 weeks later...

I decided not to take the time to read through two pages, so sorry if this is a repeat.

I don't think that Joel is a rithmatist. I thought the shadowblaze came but left because he was intended to team up with Melody, and they were trying to nudge him into it or something. I figured that they wanted him to show everyone that that was a possibility. I thought the strategy of it was really cool, because if you think about it that changes the way lines of vigor work. Joel was able to set up a line with the perfect angle and get it ready, then wait for the perfect time, rather than having to wait for an opening then having to rush the line. That said, there is also a disadvantage, because if you wish to deflect lines there would not be enough time to trace a line of forbiddance.

This may have already been said but i havnt seen anyone else mention it. Before i start I want to say that I dont believe Joel is a rithmatist (at least now, it is possible he may become so, but with brandon writing who knows?)  However something that struck me as odd was when Nalizar first saw Joel he thought that joel was a rithmatist saying "why are you not wearing your uniform" it is all but confirmed that the forgotten (or something else) inside Nalizar can see something physically diffrent about rithmatists. It is also said that he doesnt notice non-rithmatists as easy, yet he when he took flitch's position he noticed Joel right away. This implies that something is off about Joel. I heard one theory I like about the shadowblaze attaching to rithmatist and that is what Nalizar can see. My only problem with this is that the encounter between Joel and Nalizar i have been referencing took place before joel ever entered the chamber. 

As to the common theory that the coin is what made the shadowblaze run from joel. I don't think that holds out. First off it didnt effect any of the chalklings when the children had the coins in their pockets, and even more importantly the king (who discovered rithmatics and saw the first shadow blaze) had his watch out, which means that watches and other gears most likely do not effect shadow blazes. Lastly the church is in the middle of a steam punk spring and GEARED covered city. if shadow blazes are there every time a new rithmatist is chosen it is more than likely they have become accustomed to gears just as it i proven Nalizar has become.

2 hours ago, TheChesireMouse said:

This may have already been said but i havnt seen anyone else mention it. Before i start I want to say that I dont believe Joel is a rithmatist (at least now, it is possible he may become so, but with brandon writing who knows?)  However something that struck me as odd was when Nalizar first saw Joel he thought that joel was a rithmatist saying "why are you not wearing your uniform" it is all but confirmed that the forgotten (or something else) inside Nalizar can see something physically diffrent about rithmatists. It is also said that he doesnt notice non-rithmatists as easy, yet he when he took flitch's position he noticed Joel right away. This implies that something is off about Joel. I heard one theory I like about the shadowblaze attaching to rithmatist and that is what Nalizar can see. My only problem with this is that the encounter between Joel and Nalizar i have been referencing took place before joel ever entered the chamber. 

As to the common theory that the coin is what made the shadowblaze run from joel. I don't think that holds out. First off it didnt effect any of the chalklings when the children had the coins in their pockets, and even more importantly the king (who discovered rithmatics and saw the first shadow blaze) had his watch out, which means that watches and other gears most likely do not effect shadow blazes. Lastly the church is in the middle of a steam punk spring and GEARED covered city. if shadow blazes are there every time a new rithmatist is chosen it is more than likely they have become accustomed to gears just as it i proven Nalizar has become.

I think Nalizar said that because he was trying to act normal. Also, he didn't say he didn't notice non-rithmatists, just that he tends to dismiss them as unimportant.

As for the gears, not only did the king discover rithmatics with the watch, but because of the watch. Is it possible that, while wild chalklings are scared of gears, shadowblazes are attracted to them?

2 hours ago, Radiant of Crystallia said:

I think Nalizar said that because he was trying to act normal. Also, he didn't say he didn't notice non-rithmatists, just that he tends to dismiss them as unimportant.

As for the gears, not only did the king discover rithmatics with the watch, but because of the watch. Is it possible that, while wild chalklings are scared of gears, shadowblazes are attracted to them?

It is possible. I myself am not a fan of shadow blazes being attracted to the gears, however I can provide no evidence saying else wise. On another note one thing I find intresting is the mention of finding shadow blaze drawings on the walls of cave people (this was said when Joel first read about them.) I am just saying what comes to mind, but if we are to assume that only rithmatists and Joel (failed rithmatis?) can see them than would the rithmatics be found earlier than when the king discovered it. If this isnt the case than could it mean there was a time when shadowblazes just walked about?

As to the comment about Nalizar just trying to act normal than you think he would just send joel away, assuming he wasn't a rithmatis due to the lack of coat to any other people watching.

I would be intrested to any other theories you have about the book related to this thread (Joel is a rithmatist spoilers) or otherwise =D

P.S. Waiting not so patiently for Brandon to start writing the second book , People are saying it could be out this year, hurry up Aztlanian

18 hours ago, TheChesireMouse said:

I would be intrested to any other theories you have about the book related to this thread (Joel is a rithmatist spoilers) or otherwise =D

I actually created a thread just of the many random theories I came up with for the rithmatist. It's called 'Billions of Theories.' Most of them are really ridiculous and I don't actually think they would work, but I really enjoy coming up with these, so I posted them anyways.

• 6 months later...

There is 1 flaw with this. It is a very nice theory, but ignores that the shadowblaze must be bound. We get a brief example in the forgotten. And while it should have bound, it didn't. He will quite possibly become a rithmatist through other means though.