Theory: Possibilities of rithmatics in non-rithmatic combat

RippleGylf

I was just wondering the other day it if would be possible to use rithmatics to make what would basically be an invisible sword.

Sounds a tad strange, but hear me out.

Say you had two pieces of wood arranged in a "T" shape. If a Rithmatist drew a line of forbiddance on the top of the T, wouldn't it create an invisible plane out from it? And, doing to the small nature of the item, it would be simple to move it around, therefore changing the location of the invisible plane. While it may not cut like a sword can, it would be an easy to use bludgeoning weapon.

So, what do you think? Are there any obvious errors in my logic? Would anyone actually do this in the United Isles? And would a person be able to push the plane, seeing as it isn't rooted in a sturdy floor or wall?

I don't remember any passages of the Rithmatist that would contradict this logic.  While it wouldn't surprise me if Lines of Forbiddance only work on the ground, I don't think that's ever explicitly stated.  

I suppose there's a number of things you could do with Lines of Forbiddance drawn places other than the ground; for example you could climb a wall by drawing Forbiddance lines on the wall as steps.

Part of the problem with this is that (if I remember correctly) the walls made by Lines of Forbiddance aren't solid, and don't feel solid - they stop things from going over them, but in a yielding and flexible manner.

A Forbiddance-staircase should theoretically work, although it would take some skill (and courage, and pants under your skirt :lol: ) to climb.

What I'm curious about is what happens when you draw a Line of Forbiddance at about the same location on both walls of a corridor - in theory, the Forbiddance-forcefields should support each other and create a more secure footing, but do they actually interact with each other?

Actually, what I'm more curious about is Rithmatic billiards.  B)

Use Lines of Forbiddance to draw the "table", set up a neat triangle of Lines of Warding, and then bounce them around using some very well-aimed Lines of Vigor!

Tension ramps up as the cue ball gradually gets destroyed!

Try to command your chalkling precisely enough to manoeuvre the highest-value ball right into the pocket!

It's the best possible use of all those different chalk colours, I guarantee it.  :lol:

Edited by Colours

Part of the problem with this is that (if I remember correctly) the walls made by Lines of Forbiddance aren't solid, and don't feel solid - they stop things from going over them, but in a yielding and flexible manner.

Still, I imagine being slapped in the face by an invisible wall would be a surprise, to say the least. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like they'd be pretty dangerous in organized warfare.

It was mentioned that a well done line of forbiddance could stand up to cannon fire. So that's basically being able to set down field fortifications up on a battlefield at a moments notice.

A combined arms assault by regular soldiers and chalklings would be pretty nasty. Massed rifle fire from a distance could prevent the enemy from forming a proper bucket brigade line, thus allowing the enemy position to be overrun by offensive chalklings. 

• 2 weeks later...

The primary problem, as I see it, would be controlling the length of the blade, etc. The thinner the line the shorter the wall, so you'd need a really thin line to be much use in melee combat.

I'd use lines of forbiddance as shelves.

I also have been meaning to ask Brandon, if I get the chance, whether you could draw a chalkling top view of, say, a cart, and use the Glyph of Rending to allow it to carry you around on the floor.

Edited by Gargoyle

I think the sword idea would be better against other people than in Nebrask. It seams as if it would be a fairly easy weapon to make hide and store. My main worry is that it would be mostly a defensive weapon. The way they were described reminds me of punishing two magnets together, and while that kind of wall may be good for a surprise it would take a strong swing to make it an effective short rang weapon. An idea I find fascinating is making a quick cube out of lines of forbearance. While the measurements would have to be precise but it could be used for containment and possible suffocation

Containment, yes, but I'm not sure about suffocation. Is there any WoB saying that the lines of forbiddance could be airtight? 

The weapon would probably not be much use against chalklings, I would agree. Mostly, I think it could be useful for self-defense. It isn't a weapon intended to kill, just to disarm. I don't know how heavy it would be to carry, though. If it only weigh as much as the hilt, it wouldn't be too hard to swing it around.