17th Shard User Statistics

Titan Arum

Wow this is great. It would be interesting to define different level of active during a given time frame... One post is not what I would qualify a significant contribution... How about trying to partake those who are one time posters and those who actively post on the forum?

I'd be curious to read the statistic for this... I keep seeing the same names on the forum. I wager the active poster base is quite smaller.

Wow this is great. It would be interesting to define different level of active during a given time frame... One post is not what I would qualify a significant contribution... How about trying to partake those who are one time posters and those who actively post on the forum?

I'd be curious to read the statistic for this... I keep seeing the same names on the forum. I wager the active poster base is quite smaller.

Thanks for the feedback maxal!

The  reason why I chose 1 post as a form of activity other than viewing the forum is because any number greater than 1 is arbitrary. Who defines what a significant contribution is? As a statistician, anything that deviates from 0 has major implications, hence why I did a simple 0 vs. 1+. I really was interested in the opposite number: the total who didn't post. That says a lot more in my opinion. We more or less know that a very small fraction of users post relatively frequently, but we didn't know what percentage don't post at all. 

However, it would be very easy for me to go back and do new queries on the data with simple comparisons limited to larger numbers of posts vs. those who post less. But again, it comes back to what number should we consider a significant contribution? Is it 10? 20? 50 a month? Also, I cannot just compare the 1 time posters vs. the multiple posters. The data query search only allows me to specify greater than or less than a certain number of posts. I cannot exclude all the 0 posters. Unless the mods want to provide a spreadsheet of all of the data...then I would be in heaven!

Thanks for the feedback maxal!

The  reason why I chose 1 post as a form of activity other than viewing the forum is because any number greater than 1 is arbitrary. Who defines what a significant contribution is? As a statistician, anything that deviates from 0 has major implications, hence why I did a simple 0 vs. 1+. I really was interested in the opposite number: the total who didn't post. That says a lot more in my opinion. We more or less know that a very small fraction of users post relatively frequently, but we didn't know what percentage don't post at all. 

However, it would be very easy for me to go back and do new queries on the data with simple comparisons limited to larger numbers of posts vs. those who post less. But again, it comes back to what number should we consider a significant contribution? Is it 10? 20? 50 a month? Also, I cannot just compare the 1 time posters vs. the multiple posters. The data query search only allows me to specify greater than or less than a certain number of posts. I cannot exclude all the 0 posters. Unless the mods want to provide a spreadsheet of all of the data...then I would be in heaven!

I think you could make a break down, such as those who posted between 1 and 10 posts, between 10 and 25 posts, between 25 and a 100 posts and a 100 and more posts. Of course, the numbers would have to do be adjusted to the time frame under evaluation: if you put up statistic for a month, then you number of posts are different then if you do the same for a year... You could name the categories such as one time posters, occasional posters, average posters, intensive posters or something along those lines.

Or you could simply add a line to account for the one time posters, 17.1% of sharders posted once in the month of July. 10.0% of them poster only once or 7.1% poster more than once. Something like that. 

It would be great to see the great statistic spreadsheet  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

Another thing to consider with collecting the stats past those who've posted once is that high post count doesn't necessarily say that one is a significant contributor, just like a somewhat lower post count doesn't mean that someone is an insignificant contributor. That's all subjective by what we define as significant contributions.

For example, the high level posters like Twi and Kobold would obviously fall into the "significant contributions" area, but there are plenty of active posters who may not post frequently, but when they do, they say a lot. Then there are other active posters who post a lot but say very little. So who defines what a "significant contribution" is?

And as for getting the stats on that after coming to a definition everyone can agree on.... That would be even more difficult, since to my knowledge, you can't search by post word count, so it would require checking each individual post and marking it as significant or insignificant and that's just unrealistic.

I think if you want different stats, you could do them based on forums and what percentage of users frequent certain boards and such. That could be interesting.

Oh I did not mean to imply individuals with lower posts count cannot be significant contributors, though one could argue you need to post more than once to contribute (one post in a year time frame cannot be accounted as a significant contribution unless it was a hugely memorable post). I simply meant to separate the individuals who posted once then disappear from those who post on a regular basis. Now what defines a regular basis is up for grab, but that's the idea.

It is just I have often notice people who would make their first post only to never to be seen again. These should be a category on their own.