House Words

Quiver

Idea inspired by Mailliw's signature.

If you are familiar with Game of Thrones (the show or the book), then you know that there are a series of Great Houses. Each of these Noble Houses has it's own "House Words"- kind of like, a motto, or catchphrase, with symbolic importance as to their value's etc, as well as just being... kind of a baddchull boast.

So, for instance, the House Words of House Stark are "Winter is Coming"; the Targareyn Words are "Fire and Blood".

What would your House Words be? Or, what would you think would be the House Words of... whatever fictional character you feel like giving words too.

So my House in Heirs (since that's what Maill's sig's House words are for) has the words "Whispers in the Wind," mostly because my House animal is an eagle, it's Wilson so I've got alliteration with "whispers" and "wind" (and I'm quite a fan of alliteration), and Mistborn are kind of whispers in the wind. So it's very fitting.

My house words though.... Maybe "Never conquered, always feared" since it works for almost everything I can think of, from a hard trial/situation that springs up to an intellectual battle I may feel I'm somewhat losing. Plus, it hits pretty heavily on my sense of courage and I think that's important for any words that are meant to describe myself. :)

Our roleplay group once coined a phrase for a Star Wars group we were playing (many years ago, with the old West End Games D6 system) - "Always outnumbered, never outgunned."

My actual family motto/words is simply 'Providence'.

A couple of my family's claims to fame (all true). 

When the first person went over Niagra Falls in a barrel, one of ours made the barrel!

One of ours was George Washington's personal physician.

One branch of our family annexed the Blackadders.

Edit: Bonus points if anyone can identify my family name from this :)

Edited by Bort

This is the site that Wilson showed me where both of our HttFE House mottos come from. It's a great site with tons of options. 

I really do like the "Strike swiftly, aim true" that I got from the generator and would probably use it in RL just for fun. :P

This is the site that Wilson showed me where both of our HttFE House mottos come from. It's a great site with tons of options. 

I really do like the "Strike swiftly, aim true" that I got from the generator and would probably use it in RL just for fun. :P

Do you see this?

3b614586ec145b5a4d64403e07a1df62.png

This is destiny, telling me my motto should be "Ball of fire" for a reason I do not, can not know until the appointed time. :ph34r:

Edited by Kobold King

Fear Our Unicorns

...seriously, I wish I could take a picture of my cube at work, but cameras are forbidden because we deal with a lot of confidential client stuff.  But a few years back, my husband gave me a ThinkGeek plush unicorn bouquet, and now the little posable beasties are all over my cube - perched on the monitor, hanging from the walls, clinging to other little toys...  I have some coworkers who find them disturbing.  :D

One gaming group I had we ended up with the motto: "Spoiler alert: We're the bad guys."  Poor GM didn't know what to do when we were worse than his villains.  Having us all start in super-prison and not knowing each other kinda sorta resulted in everyone thinking everyone else was a supercriminal, then some demigod shows up and takes credit and so I tried to kill him and then the city exploded and it wasn't my fault it wasn't but we could never go back.  

Another session, my GM's motto was: "Damnit James, why did you light the boat on fire when you were in the middle of the ocean?!"  There were abyss tentacles turning crewmembers into zombies; I didn't stop to think about us being on a wooden boat, so I used my balls of fire.  But that changed the entire course of literally everything he had planned about 30 minutes in, and he never stopped yelling about it.

My personal motto: "I will break things until they get better."  It's not really intentional, but I break everything.  In at least three different jobs in different fields I was at least a temporary legend for my ability and skill at accidentally breaking things in ways that no one had ever seen before.  Fortunately, I'm also super-quick at picking up how to fix things that are broken.  Umm...occasionally I need to like, break three or four more just to figure out how I broke it the first time, though.  They, um, they get mad at you for breaking tanks.  So, Basic Training was fun.  Still glad they never figured out I was the driver who broke three tanks on the Advanced Driving Course within a 2 hour timespan.  But I definitely learned what not to do!

Edited by kaellok

Another session, my GM's motto was: "Damnit James, why did you light the boat on fire when you were in the middle of the ocean?!"  There were abyss tentacles turning crewmembers into zombies; I didn't stop to think about us being on a wooden boat, so I used my balls of fire.  But that changed the entire course of literally everything he had planned about 30 minutes in, and he never stopped yelling about it.

Heh, that kind of situation can be really rough on the GM. But at the same time if they use it well it can lead to some of the greatest moments in roleplaying games :) (Frustrating as it may be at the time.)

Heh, that kind of situation can be really rough on the GM. But at the same time if they use it well it can lead to some of the greatest moments in roleplaying games :) (Frustrating as it may be at the time.)

Unfortunately, the accidental boat sinking was only an omen of things to come, as I continued to not quite think through any repercussions of what I was about to do before doing them, but only if it would end catastrophically for everyone.  Perhaps a better motto would have been, "...oops.  Do...do you think anyone noticed that it was me?  No?  Phew!"  It culminated with me accidentally causing the Apocalypse we were trying to prevent, and ending life as we knew it on the planet.  I thought that the clues were so blindingly obvious that they had to be a trap (from a GM that likes his puzzles without clues at all, it was far too neat and pat).

Unfortunately, the accidental boat sinking was only an omen of things to come, as I continued to not quite think through any repercussions of what I was about to do before doing them, but only if it would end catastrophically for everyone.  Perhaps a better motto would have been, "...oops.  Do...do you think anyone noticed that it was me?  No?  Phew!"  It culminated with me accidentally causing the Apocalypse we were trying to prevent, and ending life as we knew it on the planet.  I thought that the clues were so blindingly obvious that they had to be a trap (from a GM that likes his puzzles without clues at all, it was far too neat and pat).

I...I think it would be best for the sanity of all GMs everywhere if you and I never played in the same campaign.

Yes, there's a story behind this, but my break period at work is insufficient time to type it up, so I'm afraid it will have to wait until later.

• Chaos locked this topic