New Theory About shshsh

Stormsinger

Hi, I'm new to this but I've been reading a lot about the world and the characters of the series, but have not gotten into full depth about it. I am doing so now, by rereading WoK and WoR.

I'm very interested in the concept of the Nightwatcher and its relation with Dalinar (and his curse: shshsh), but had a theory about Brightness Kholin that is either completely mind blowing or absurd and ridiculous. If it's either, you can explain why if you don't mind! :)

Do you think it's possible that shshsh could be revealed by another person saying her name in another POV other than Dalinar, or would it still be wiped out with the curse of the Nightwatcher? My interpretation of it is that if say Kaladin was talking about her, which I'm not sure why but I'll continue. If Kaladin was talking about her in not Dalinar's POV but in his own, is it possible that we could learn her name by that, through his POV?

Do we have any WoB to say that this hasn't already happened? Maybe not explicitly said to be Dalinars wife, but simply another character that someone mentioned in passing?

I don't completely remember, but even if we have, what is the possibility that another person cursed by the Nightwatcher has a recollection of her name?

Everyone except Dalinar seems to remember her perfectly fine, so I would think it's safe to assume the shshs censorship is only in Dalinar's mind.

Thanks for the clarification! I just wasn't sure about the extent to Shshsh, and the different point of views taken place in it. I guess it was just befallen upon Dalinar due to the Nightwatcher, but doesn't drive to the point of other characters referring to her as Shshsh.

We could have Adolin talk about his mother to Shallan and yes, we would get her name, but Brandon obviously wanted to keep the suspense going on. It would have been easy to have the boys share one conversation about their mother.

We could have Adolin talk about his mother to Shallan and yes, we would get her name, but Brandon obviously wanted to keep the suspense going on. It would have been easy to have the boys share one conversation about their mother.

Though in this particular example, they are unlikely to call her by her name. None of them call their dad Dalinar. But yes, if Brandon wanted this information revealed, we would have it. 

• 2 months later...

Yes it seems only the big man himself cant retain any information or emotion about her, Adolin and Navani seem to be able to recollect her at will so i think Renarin would be able to by default .. but Adolin and Renarin would only ever recall her as 'mother' not by her name since referring to your own mother by name is not done often, out best hope for this to happen would be Navani since Jasnah would most likely think of her as aunt.

Im sorry to jack this thread but do we have a WOB that says Adolin and Renarin are Dalinars and Shshsh's sons?

I just have a huge theory that Gavilar was a creeper...thanks ;)

There are WoB that Adolin and Renarin are both Dalinar's legitimate sons, implying both are from Shshsh (and Dalinar was not married twice). Also with the Note "Good question" from Brandon, IIRC.

As for her mentioned randomly: there are very few Alethi Lighteyes (except Gavilar) about whom somebody talked after their death. I think Shshshsh's real name could have been mentioned, but I don't believe it was.

There are WoB that Adolin and Renarin are both Dalinar's legitimate sons, implying both are from Shshsh (and Dalinar was not married twice). Also with the Note "Good question" from Brandon, IIRC.

As for her mentioned randomly: there are very few Alethi Lighteyes (except Gavilar) about whom somebody talked after their death. I think Shshshsh's real name could have been mentioned, but I don't believe it was.

Thanks for clarifying about the legitimacy of Dalinars boys!

I have been looking but i couldn't find the wob!

Q: Are Renarin and Adolin Dalinar's legitimate children?

A: Good question! Yes, they are both legitimate. Though Renarin didn't get as much of the hair, which is probably what people are asking about.

Found here.

Yes it seems only the big man himself cant retain any information or emotion about her, Adolin and Navani seem to be able to recollect her at will so i think Renarin would be able to by default .. but Adolin and Renarin would only ever recall her as 'mother' not by her name since referring to your own mother by name is not done often, out best hope for this to happen would be Navani since Jasnah would most likely think of her as aunt.

Im sorry to jack this thread but do we have a WOB that says Adolin and Renarin are Dalinars and Shshsh's sons?

I just have a huge theory that Gavilar was a creeper...thanks ;)

The boys both refer to their father as "Father" and never "Dalinar". It seems logical they would refer to their mother as "Mother". When it comes to aunt Navani, they add the "Navani", but the aunt is always there. It makes sense. I never talked of my own parents by using their own names: I always say "Dad" or "Mom". 

Navani did refer to Shshsh by her name, but we were in Dalinar's POV, so we heard "Shshshshsh".

Others have answers both boys are Dalinar's legitimate sons: the question came up a long time ago as people realized how Adolin did not physically resemble his father. So what was your huge theory? Were you thinking Galivar somehow took advantage of Shshshsh and fathered one of the boys? Which one?

If you want more crack-pot theories on Shshshsh and the Kholin boys, here is one. Shshshsh is from Rall Ekorim. Dalinar traveled up to there in his youth trip to the West. He stayed for three years, the three years he needed to court her. They married on foreign lands. By the time they made their way back to Alethkar, they had a bouncing toddler with them. Adolin was therefore not born on Alethi soils, but in the City of Shadows. Alethi nobility questioned the boy's true parentage due to his foreign appearance, but the Blackthorn quickly put an end to it. That one calls for fertile imagination. I give it about 0.000001% of being true  :o

The boys both refer to their father as "Father" and never "Dalinar". It seems logical they would refer to their mother as "Mother". When it comes to aunt Navani, they add the "Navani", but the aunt is always there. It makes sense. I never talked of my own parents by using their own names: I always say "Dad" or "Mom".

Navani did refer to Shshsh by her name, but we were in Dalinar's POV, so we heard "Shshshshsh".

Others have answers both boys are Dalinar's legitimate sons: the question came up a long time ago as people realized how Adolin did not physically resemble his father. So what was your huge theory? Were you thinking Galivar somehow took advantage of Shshshsh and fathered one of the boys? Which one?

If you want more crack-pot theories on Shshshsh and the Kholin boys, here is one. Shshshsh is from Rall Ekorim. Dalinar traveled up to there in his youth trip to the West. He stayed for three years, the three years he needed to court her. They married on foreign lands. By the time they made their way back to Alethkar, they had a bouncing toddler with them. Adolin was therefore not born on Alethi soils, but in the City of Shadows. Alethi nobility questioned the boy's true parentage due to his foreign appearance, but the Blackthorn quickly put an end to it. That one calls for fertile imagination. I give it about 0.000001% of being true :o

And Lift is the bastard daughter of Shshsh's evil brother. Who happens to be an ally of the stone Shamans and the man who gave Szeth to the Parshendi. His name is Thaidakar, btw.

And Lift is the bastard daughter of Shshsh's evil brother. Who happens to be an ally of the stone Shamans and the man who gave Szeth to the Parshendi. His name is Thaidakar, btw.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Oh and Lift truly is Adolin's little cousin  :huh:

Found here.

Fun fact, I actually had no idea why people wanted to know the answer to that question. I am not sure why I picked it. I think it didn't look like a RAFO bait and I wanted some questions that would get actual answers.

• Chaos locked this topic