Fantasy isn't published in my country

Zecria

So, this is something that has been bothering me for a while. I'm from Venezuela, so my native language is Spanish. I have a decent prose in that language, since I've been studying it for a few years now.

The thing is, I love fantasy books, so naturally it is the genre I enjoy writing the most. Venezuelan publishing companies don't quite agree with me there. There are really few of those in the first place, and just half a dozen publish actual novels, so don't let me get started with the chances one of these publishes fantasy fiction. I can testify I have never seen a venezuelan fantasy story in anything, ever.

I have a decent handling of English, but is it good enough to write fantasy in that language? I don't have that much confidence in that. And is it realistic to hope that a foreign publishing company takes interest in a foreigner? I've been thinking about self-publishing, since it has been a big thing lately, but I don't even know how to get started on that.

These concerns have been taking a toll on my writing too. I find myself stopping a story in the middle just thinking if my endeavor is worth it or not.

What can I do about this? Any advice?

I can't advise on publishing routes, but judging only from your posts here, I'd say you have the ability to write very well in English if that's the direction you want to go.

For Spanish language publishing, do you know of any current Venezuelan authors (in particular fiction, though not necessarily fantasy)? I would imagine that some of them at least would publish through through a company in another Spanish speaking country. That's just a guess, though--I have no experience with that.

I think your english is very good. I actually know a bit of Spanish so I might be able to help translate, but it isn't very good.

Another suggestion could be finding a publishing company in another Spanish speaking country. That might point you in a good direction too.

OH. Amazon does a self publishing thing, actually! It can only get your book on e-book or kindle, but I've heard its really easy and is actually how one of my favorite authors got started with her fantasy and was then approached by a bigger company.

Edited by LarkoftheRiver

The question is why? Is fantasy unfashionable in your culture? Or is it a gap in the market?

Your in a better position than me to answer those questions.

Someone from the US has a very small chance of getting a publishing deal, so I would imagine your chances as a foreigner are even slimmer. So self publishing is the way to go.

Lulu is a great self publishing tool. all you have to do is upload a book, along with cover etc. (there are packages available where they will proof read and design a cover but you have to pay). Once you've uploaded a book, you will be given an ISBN number. You are now offically published.

https://www.lulu.com/

Now's the hard part. Marketing. You have to do this all yourself. As I said, you will know the Venezuelan market much better than me.

Your country has a population of 33m. Half of the UK. Although it sounds alot, it really isn't on a marketing scale. Lulu is a print per order service. Each time someone purchases the book from Amazon, LuLu will print and ship a copy of the book. You will then recieve some percentage of royalties. They also do a Kindle version, but I would recommend using Amazon's own service for Kindle, you get more of the profits.

All you have to think about is where you need to promote the book. Do you have a chain of bookstores, or indivudally run book stores who will make an order? Are there Spanish fantasy websites, something like Tor.com etc? Are there any popular authors in your country who can help promote the book?

Most importantly. Just write the book. No good talking about publishers if you haven't even got anything worthy of prinitng yet. Believe me, hard work pays off and hidden talent is a rare thing in such a profit obsessed world. If you write enough and are better then anything else the Spanish market can offer, you will sell.  

• 3 months later...

I think you should go with Spanish.  Writing in your second and especially your third language is rather risky business, and there are a lot of english books out there, (I am guessing more than Spanish books, though I know nothing on this subject).  I would suggest you keep trying with Venezuelan publishers, but if it's impossible, maybe try another Spanish-speaking country.

Keep writing, and try not to worry about publishing untill you are close to finishing the book.  Then you can do all the research you want.  Good luck and DONT GIVE UP!!!  ;)