Ask a guy from Poland anything

Mestiv

@MestivIf shalebark grows in a forest and no one sees it, how much does tallew cost in Azir? 

Which cosmere world is best suited for your temperament?

Favorite movie?

What is your shardic intent?

If you could  have any cosmere creature as a pet what would you get?

If you were fighting an army of super intelligent groundhogs which cosmere character would you want to have by your side?

Pepsi or Coke?

If you had to face down a pack of stick wielding sand creatures which cosmere character would you want by your side?

Which cosmere character would fit in well with your family?

Olives on pizza yes or no?

Favorite mythological creature

6 hours ago, Nathrangking said:

If shalebark grows in a forest and no one sees it, how much does tallew cost in Azir? 

Yesterday.

Which cosmere world is best suited for your temperament?

Sel I guess. The magic systems that feel like computer programs are very much my thing.

Favorite movie?

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

What is your shardic intent?

Ambition.

If you could  have any cosmere creature as a pet what would you get?

Spren or Seons count? If not, sky eel, they are cool.

If you were fighting an army of super intelligent groundhogs which cosmere character would you want to have by your side?

Odium. Those poor groundhogs...

Pepsi or Coke?

Coke

If you had to face down a pack of stick wielding sand creatures which cosmere character would you want by your side?

What sand creatures? Anyway, Kaladin, he'd protect me.

Which cosmere character would fit in well with your family?

Raoden I guess.

Olives on pizza yes or no?

For some pizza yes, for others no. I prefer pizza with pineapple, so without olives ;)

Favorite mythological creature

Girls without any self-worth and self-esteem issues. Seriously, I can't imagine anything more attractive and more rare than proper confidence in your self-worth.

On 7/27/2015 at 11:13 AM, Mestiv said:

Polish food... Ok, here are some examples, I'll put spoilers to hide images. (No wonder there are Polish shops in England poping up, since there are so many immigrants).

Pierogi

Hide contents

They can be stuffed with many different things. From meat, cabbage and mushrooms to strawberries or blueberries. The latter aren't fried like those on the picture. Here in Poland you can sometimes find restaurants that specialize in pierogi with tens of recepies in the menu.

pierogi1.jpg

Bigos

Reveal hidden contents

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigos

Made from cabbage and meat. Best served with fresh bread, or INSIDE a bread, just like on the image below :)

Bigos_in_Krak%C3%B3w_%28Rynek_G%C5%82%C3

Kiełbasa

Reveal hidden contents

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kielbasa

Although sausages are known outside of Poland too, as you can see even English Wikipedia has a two articles, one for Sausages and one for Kiełbasa. We have so many kinds of kiełbasa that when visiting a good shop you would be shocked and feel lost :)

Kielbasa_Lisiecka_fot_6460196.jpg

Of course, there are many other examples, but those are the ones that I think are most well know as Polish dishes outside of Poland.

Yes, I can speak fluent Polish, it's my native language :) Although I'm dyslectic, so I can make some mistakes while writing ;)

I tend to read in Polish, however, since I left middle school I couldn't wait for new parts of Harry Potter to be translated to Polish and asked my parents to buy me English versions. They were so happy to do so...  ^_^ When Harry Potter finished, I didn't have much incentive to read anything bigger in English, until I've read WoK and found out there WoR are out, but not yet translated. Since then I went on and read almost everything Brandon has published in English, since most of his books weren't available in Polish. Now however, there as a new release of Mistborn series with hardcover and much cooler cover art, so I guess I'll re-read them when I buy them :)

I dream in Polish as far as I remember. Most of my thoughts, if they aren't meant to be spoken out, aren't in any language at all. Like many other dyslectics I think and dream with images and concepts ( http://www.davisdyslexia.com/big_picture.htmlhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_thinking#Dyslexia ) rather than words. 

The last time I saw Pierogi, was in the first men in black movie

24 minutes ago, Kidpen said:

Do you like my mustache?

Do you like questions?

What is the best punctuation mark?

What is the worst punctuation mark?

What is the best instrument?

What is the worst instrument?

Yes, that's some impressive mustache. 

I do?

I think . is the best,  let's you organize your thoughts nicely. 

I'm not a fan of ; it's for people who can't make up their mind. 

I really like the violin. 

I don't hate any instrument,  but I believe that guitar is overhyped :P

13 hours ago, ElephantEarwax said:

What do you think about hemalurgy?

Can I interest you in a cookie?

It's very messy and brutal. I much prefer Aon Dor and it's sophisticated symbols.

Sure,  I already have mod spikes,  what can go wrong, right? :P

• 5 years later...

Well then, I've incidentally wanted to ask someone from Poland a question and found this thread. Not sure if necroing a thread started by a mod is a good idea, but hey, what's the worst that could happen? (It's a rhetoric question only if you don't have an interesting answer.)

Anyway, I've been wondering: what do you know about Jewish life in Poland? Specifically, I'm talking about the time between Jews being invited to Poland and WW2, nothing after the world war.

On 10/18/2023 at 11:49 AM, Trutharchivist said:

Well then, I've incidentally wanted to ask someone from Poland a question and found this thread. Not sure if necroing a thread started by a mod is a good idea, but hey, what's the worst that could happen? (It's a rhetoric question only if you don't have an interesting answer.)

Anyway, I've been wondering: what do you know about Jewish life in Poland? Specifically, I'm talking about the time between Jews being invited to Poland and WW2, nothing after the world war.

Not much I'm afraid. I don't recall anything about official invitation for them, but I know there were a lot of Jews in Poland for many centuries. I think they had it relatively good here, as Poland used to be one of the most accepting countries back in the past (no witch hunting or burning). But I'm afraid that's all I can tell, and even that is just more of "I think" than solid facts.