Leather-bound Edition of Elantris

So I was just checking twitter and saw this twitter exchange:

Dave Gandy

Any update on plans for a leather-bound edition of Mistborn?

Peter Ahlstrom

Delayed. Right now we're planning on leather-bound Elantris this year instead.

I'm assuming this will be in conjunction with the 10th Anniversary edition (i.e. an "unlimited" trade paperback and a special leather-bound edition for collectors).  I don't know about the rest of you but I'm definitely going to start setting money aside for this!

Ohhh! Leather-bound, you say? As one of those people who basically owns all of Brandon's books in ebook format, this will definitely be a guaranteed purchase. Now it's time to simply decide what question I want to ask in my personalized copy of the leather-bound book. 

Never read Elantris, and sad to say, I ordered a copy two hours before I heard of this. Leatherbound Mistborn though...

Sometimes I am jealous of noobs like you: still untouched by all of the Cosmere works in existence. I wish that I had three or four more Cosmere books that I haven't read yet so that I could be amazed as the story develops and be wowed by the worldbuilding. Instead, I opt for just re-reading all of Brandon's books and being amazed as the story develops and wowed by the worldbuilding ;) ...but this time accompanied with a fine-toothed comb to find all the things that I missed before.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh wow. Cosmere leather bound books... As someone who already owns two copies of Elantris, I'm starting to wonder how many I can get before it becomes overkill. xD

2 copies of Elantris? That's not overkill. 4 copies of Mistborn... book 1... isn't either.

It's the fifth copy that makes it overkill.

I have 5.  

• 1 month later...

And now we have a release date (well, at least I assume we didn't before) - October 6 for the 'Elantris Tenth Anniversary Author's Definitive Edition' (two days before my birthday!). 

(This comes from near the end of the 4th paragraph of item #1 of the latest new article on Brandon's site).

And now we have a release date (well, at least I assume we didn't before) - October 6 for the 'Elantris Tenth Anniversary Author's Definitive Edition' (two days before my birthday!). 

(This comes from near the end of the 4th paragraph of item #1 of the latest new article on Brandon's site).

We've actually known the release date for quite a while.

What's with the question marks?

I'm going to go with "he was so confused you asked how to get an unannounced thing that he really wasn't sure how to respond." :) Obviously, when we have details on how to get this thing, expect a big news article on it. But right now we don't know.

Eh it's a fairly reasonable number I think.  I remember the first hardcover printing of The Emperor's Soul only had 2,000 copies and they lasted a fair amount of time.  So while yes it would be prudent to order sooner rather than later, I don't think you have to worry about ordering as soon as they go on sale.

Eh it's a fairly reasonable number I think.  I remember the first hardcover printing of The Emperor's Soul only had 2,000 copies and they lasted a fair amount of time.  So while yes it would be prudent to order sooner rather than later, I don't think you have to worry about ordering as soon as they go on sale.

To be fair the Emperor's Soul was a novella, and not a full blown fantasy novel. Perhaps I'm just worrying when I shouldn't, but I've always felt there were more than 1500 hardcore Sanderson fans that would be willing to shell $100 for something like this.

To be fair the Emperor's Soul was a novella, and not a full blown fantasy novel. Perhaps I'm just worrying when I shouldn't, but I've always felt there were more than 1500 hardcore Sanderson fans that would be willing to shell $100 for something like this.

It had also just won the Hugo for Best Novella, and was substantially cheaper than $100.  I don't think there is anything to big to worry about here, but there isn't any harm in erring on the side of caution and ordering it ASAP.

It had also just won the Hugo for Best Novella, and was substantially cheaper than $100.  I don't think there is anything to big to worry about here, but there isn't any harm in erring on the side of caution and ordering it ASAP.

Bah, you're right. Nothing to worry about, really. Will there be a News article on this site when they're available? I'd think so, but it's always good to check.

Bah, you're right. Nothing to worry about, really. Will there be a News article on this site when they're available? I'd think so, but it's always good to check.

Oh definitely, you can also expect me to be shouting it out from the rooftops.  AFTER I order mine of course :D.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay update from Peter's twitter:

Peter Ahlstrom

Finally done with InDesign files for the Elantris leatherbound. The spot blue caused a lot of grief, but I believe we've met sprinter specs.

Jenny

oooo leather bound??

Peter Ahlstrom

You'll be able to get it on Brandon's website store in November. It's $100 with a lot of bells and whistles.

Jenny

Whoa. Not sold in retail stores?

Peter Ahlstrom

That is correct.