The Arrowverse

Quiver

So... I just looked through the threads and... realized there was never one of these made?

(I think I know why though. The UK screeings of Arriow are so late that I'm always terribly behind... and when I first joined, I was too shy to start a thread like this.)

Anyway, I'm starting one now- a thread for fans of the DCCW shows to talk about stuff! I'm calling it the Arrowverse since that's the parent show and all, but if anyone has any better names for it, let me know!

So, I know there are some fans of Arrow and the Flash here, so... you guy's excited for the new season's? Anything you hope get's changed or fixed? Looking forward to DC Legends of Tomorrow? Am I the only one who wants a CW Suicide Squad show starring Manu Bennet?

Suicide Squad will never happen, thanks to DC's insistence on keeping the cinematic universe, and TV universe separate. Such a shame as Michael Rowe played an excellent Deadshot. This is also why we never saw Harley Quinn in Arrow, even if we were teased with her voice in one of the earlier Suicide Squad episodes.

Also, I never realised Deathstroke was part of the Squad. That was something they avoided in the show.

Are you now completely up to date with Arrow/Flash? I only ask so we talk about the finales of both series.

Definitely looking forward to Legends of Tomorrow, although I do have to chuckle a little at how the darling couple on Dr Who, Rory and Amy, have ended up working for the grand enemies of the comic book world - Rory for DC, and Amy for Marvel.

So: yes. I'm up to date on Flash and Arrow so please- discuss away!

And you're right; the odd's of a Suicide Squad happen is nil, and it is a shame what happened to Deadshot. He had a very rough start to the show, in my opinion, but he really grew on me as the show went on. I'm kind of holding out hope that he might reappear next year, and cheating death becomes a running gag with him.

And... yeah, I haven't read Suicide Squad yet, but I don't think that Deathstroke was ever on the team; but... it's been a head canon I've had for a while, mostly because I thought Manu Bennet was amazing as Slade, and there seemed to be a lot of potential to explore with the character.

I'm quite excited to see LoT and see what they do with this group forced to work together. I'm really glad they're bringing Sara back, she was one of my favorites. 

I also wish they had kept Deadshot on, like Quiver said, he really grew on me. 

In case you all haven't seen, this is Arrow's new S4 outfit:

Arrow-S4-Costume-First-Look-SDCC.jpg

Sorry to disappoint Quiver, but unless something insane happens to the movie, we're not getting Deadshot back in Arrow. Such a shame as I agree, he developed into a brilliant character. I'd have liked to have seen him and Diggle working together in S4 going after HIVE.

I'm another one who is very pleased to see they are bringing back Sara Lance, although I am curious to see how her time being dead changed her.

I think my favourite episodes this season has to be the crossovers. I just love Diggle's reaction to seeing the Flash, and how Diggle and Sisko start taking bets on who would win in a fight, Arrow or Flash.

Oh, speaking of Diggle, I did like his announcement for his superhero identity for S4. He is getting a helmet, and he will be called Black Driver.

Flash is far and away the better of the two shows right now, though I don't think it ever quite reached the heights of Arrow season 2.  Legends of Tomorrow looks pretty good, and I'll second or third or whatever the thanks that they brought back Sara.  Now hopefully they can realize that they are terrible at writing love interests and maybe either stop that, or fix it. They messed up Laurel in Arrow season 1 (she was so much better this season when she wasn't a love interest), Felicity in season 3, Iris in Flash...they just have a terrible track record in that department

• 5 weeks later...

So...

Has anyone else heard about Stephen Amell's upcoming apperance at Sumemrslam?

I'm not a Wrestling fan... but I have to admit, I'm sort of interested in watching his fight. He's hinted on twitter that he's going to in the ring in his Arrow costume -though I'm not sure which one he's talking about- which... will be interesting.

I've always been on the ropes about Arrow. I was annoyed by Sara's death but I abandoned it completely when I discovered the who, how, why and response to. That was one of the dumbest plot twists I'd ever heard of. I've really enjoyed all of The Flash though and I'm interested in Legends but wary of it too.

So...

Has anyone else heard about Stephen Amell's upcoming apperance at Sumemrslam?

I'm not a Wrestling fan... but I have to admit, I'm sort of interested in watching his fight. He's hinted on twitter that he's going to in the ring in his Arrow costume -though I'm not sure which one he's talking about- which... will be interesting.

I've never watched a pro wrestling match, but I definitely will be watching at least the highlights of this one. This looks awesome. The fact that an actor is willing to take on a professional wrestler is awesome to me. 

He's also said that he'll be going in shirtless, so I'm not sure how he'll do both, maybe Oliver's tats?

• 2 weeks later...

First off: did anyone see Amell's fight? I watched it on youtube, which might be, er... of dubious legality...

BUT ON MATTERS THAT ARE TOTALLY LEGAL.

Season Four spoilers

They revealed Diggle's costume for season four.

Diggle-720x405.jpg

It's... weird. My first reaction is that it's terrible, and I think that's not a bad one to have. It's very -very- minimalistic. My only real problem with it, though, is the helmet, which resembles Magneto's, and which doesn't cover his face... even though the season three finale was all about him getting a costume to conceal his identity. Maybe there are panels/windows or something that slide down to cover his face during fights, and they left it up so the picture actually shows that it is Dig?

Honestly, I think part of why this costume looks bad is that background. The orange is too "bright"; unless they really plan on changing their colour palette this season, the costume stuff in Arrow tends to take place at night or indoors, so with that kind of lighting, it might look better?

First off: did anyone see Amell's fight? I watched it on youtube, which might be, er... of dubious legality...

BUT ON MATTERS THAT ARE TOTALLY LEGAL.

Season Four spoilers

They revealed Diggle's costume for season four.

Diggle-720x405.jpg

It's... weird. My first reaction is that it's terrible, and I think that's not a bad one to have. It's very -very- minimalistic. My only real problem with it, though, is the helmet, which resembles Magneto's, and which doesn't cover his face... even though the season three finale was all about him getting a costume to conceal his identity. Maybe there are panels/windows or something that slide down to cover his face during fights, and they left it up so the picture actually shows that it is Dig?

Honestly, I think part of why this costume looks bad is that background. The orange is too "bright"; unless they really plan on changing their colour palette this season, the costume stuff in Arrow tends to take place at night or indoors, so with that kind of lighting, it might look better?

OH MY GOD IT LOOKS HORRIBLE!! What were CW thinking??!!

The fight was awesome to watch. Amell's got some serious moves and he can definitely take a beating. Neville definitely saved him, but he held his own pretty well.

The trailer for S4 is now online!!

The helmet is...weird. Even in the trailer it looks weird. I can't say I like it. Even a black motorcycle helmet would've been better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EGda9EbZgc

Hmm. I -do- think the Helmet looks a little better in the trailer, at least in some scenes; I'm not sure if there is some kind of fold-up panel, or if it's just the lighting, but it does seem a little harder to make out Diggles face, which was one of my complaints.

Anyway, the trailer...

I like it. In fact, I actually liked it more than I expected to. The bright, upbeat attitude of the opening was kind of jarring, in a good way. 

Damien Darhk has me kind of interested, too. This is the first time we've seen the season Big Bad in a trailer, right? The Dark Archer and Slade were mid-season reveals, and I think Ra's was only teased before Matt Nable finally appeared... having the show be so up front about their Big Bad is quite a change. It looks like Darhk is going to be much more active as a villain than Ra's was.

Also, Nyssa and Barrowman? That's great. And Thea being more violent since her resurrection? I'll have to rewatch Season Three sometimes, but that makes sense, and

(spoilers for Legends of Tomorrow)

has interesting implications for White Canary and Sara's return. The team is a mix of heroes (Ray, Firestorm, Hawkgirl) and villains (Captain Cold, Heatwave), so I wonder if they'll be teasing her as somewhere in between those.

Also: yeah! I did not expect the performance Amell gave. His entry into the ring was pretty cool. Someone said that they'd like to see Stardust make an appearance on Arrow... I'm not sure if I'd want him to be major or anything, but it would be cool if he had a cameo, or a fight in-universe. Or, heck, a scene with Arrow looking at him tied up and muttering "I hate that guy". 

Totally called the win though. I mean... there's no way they were gonna get the star of a popular TV show into the ring and make him lose

Edited by Quiver

The fight was awesome to watch. Amell's got some serious moves and he can definitely take a beating. Neville definitely saved him, but he held his own pretty well.

The trailer for S4 is now online!!

The helmet is...weird. Even in the trailer it looks weird. I can't say I like it. Even a black motorcycle helmet would've been better.

have to second the idea of just using a motorcycle helmet.  they could do some hand waving about it being reinforced and what not, and it would be fine.  definitely look better that what they went with (and the magneto resemblance is really distracting)

Well, season 4 looks promising, but I have to add my voice to the people crying out "What???" regarding Diggle's Magneto costume. The Merlyn/Nyssa scene looks good though. I'm looking forward to seeing them trying to kill each other throughout the series.

Of course, with the Lazarus pit, they could turn it into a South Park type affair. "OMG, you killed Nyssa. You b*stard!"

From what I understand, Arrow is gonna start including more "mystic" stuff, which...well, after last year, makes sense. It let's them play more with DCU stuff, and it differentiates them from Flash.

As long as this leads to Lemire's version of the Outsiders showing up, I fully support this plan.

• 4 weeks later...

So, I just caught up with season 2, episode one of the Flash. Enjoyable, although I don't think they should have...

...killed Atom Smasher immediately.

Also, I read a review about the episode online, and I don't get how none of the reviews I've read for this episode, and the final one in season one, seem to get why the black hole formed. To me, it was simple.

This is what I posted under the review complaining about faulty time travel logic.

I think one of the big things that a lot of reviewers seems to have missed is that the black hole above Central City at the end of season one had almost nothing to do with Eobard Thawne. It was reality trying to undo this suddenly impossible existence (impossible because the person responsible for it, Eobard, now never existed, thanks to Eddie). So, really, the destruction done to the city that day was all Eddie's fault.

Flash/Firestorm closed the singularity, and voila, we have a possible impossible reality. Of course time travel logic is screwed up. It makes perfect sense.

So, I just caught up with season 2, episode one of the Flash. Enjoyable, although I don't think they should have...

...killed Atom Smasher immediately.

Also, I read a review about the episode online, and I don't get how none of the reviews I've read for this episode, and the final one in season one, seem to get why the black hole formed. To me, it was simple.

This is what I posted under the review complaining about faulty time travel logic.

honestly, was the cause of the hole itself really all that important?  it was team flash's fault, in one way or another, but that barely seemed to matter within the context of the episode, or even the show as a whole.