What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

Finished my other books today and started another.  The standard gristle did remind me though that I had a stormlight archive shaped hole in my heart.  Beginning the wait for the 2020-2021 release now.

Can't say if I've read anything that's worth mentioning except Neil Fiore's 

The Now Habit. So good

Finished The Bands of Mourning. Here are my thoughts:

Spoiler

I love how much Steris has grown over the course of these books and comes along for the adventure this time. I was sad at how the wedding got flooded out by Wayne at the beginning and she finally got married to Wax in the end.

I hope we see more of Marasi x Allik in the next book!

How different is that statue of the Sovereign that Wax and Company didn't recognize it as the Survivor himself?

The red eyed men... How does Harmony not realize there are a bunch of Kandra not under his control? I mean he knew instantly when Paalm went rogue. Are these ones created by Trell or something? Something just doesn't add up with them.

Next read is Calamity. Can finally put Reckoners behind me!

@Draginon 

Spoiler

Regarding how Wax&co did not recognize Kelsier ? You know it is Kelsier because you are the reader. Nobody except Harmony, Marsh and maybe the other Kandra's knew about what Kelsier was doing.

The red eyed men... How does Harmony not realize there are a bunch of Kandra not under his control? 

How sure are you that those are actually Kandra ? And how sure are you that Harmony wasn't really aware of them ? 

Harmony doesn't stop everything detrimental that happening within his realm. Remember the noblewomen captured by Set for breeding ? Those haven't been found yet and we can assume their fate is doomed. Why doesn't he ? Either it has to do with future sight or he just allows it(idk why people forget he is literally Ruin as well .. half of him accepts death and destruction of people)

10 hours ago, goody153 said:

@Draginon 

Hide contents

Regarding how Wax&co did not recognize Kelsier ? You know it is Kelsier because you are the reader. Nobody except Harmony, Marsh and maybe the other Kandra's knew about what Kelsier was doing.

How sure are you that those are actually Kandra ? And how sure are you that Harmony wasn't really aware of them ? 

Harmony doesn't stop everything detrimental that happening within his realm. Remember the noblewomen captured by Set for breeding ? Those haven't been found yet and we can assume their fate is doomed. Why doesn't he ? Either it has to do with future sight or he just allows it(idk why people forget he is literally Ruin as well .. half of him accepts death and destruction of people)

Spoiler

I kind of meant that they have statues and paintings of Kelsier and the rest of the gang, heck there was one such statue of him at the cemetery in New Seran, so unless the imagery is different from the actual depictions of him then they should've realized something was up like how Wax and Marasi realized something was up with the Bands.

Another pointed that out on a different thread and it makes you wonder if Faceless Immortal would apply to other groups from the other planets and Scadrians would assume they're Kandra.

On the Harmony thing, he immediately started having the Kandra hunt down Paalm when she went rogue until he had to get Wax involved because she was dangerous at that point. Human activity he chooses not to intervene in unless he absolutely has to, like with Wax, but where the Kandra are concerned it's a different story since if they start doing something that's bad, like the one that killed Suit saying they can now destroy the planet, Harmony would intervene so the only answer is they have Trellium spikes, blocking some of them but staying in Harmony's scope, or they are off-worlders.

Listening to a book for work called Never Split the Difference. It’s about negotiation tactics and the author is a 20 year FBI veteran that did hostage negotiations. It’s really kind of interesting but the funny part is the narrator is Michael Kramer. I keep waiting for the author to say he downed a vial of tin to listen to hostages  or lashed a bad guy to a wall. 

On 14/09/2018 at 8:08 AM, StormingTexan said:

Listening to a book for work called Never Split the Difference. It’s about negotiation tactics and the author is a 20 year FBI veteran that did hostage negotiations. It’s really kind of interesting but the funny part is the narrator is Michael Kramer. I keep waiting for the author to say he downed a vial of tin to listen to hostages  or lashed a bad guy to a wall.

It's a good book as long as you bring practice...

On 14/09/2018 at 8:17 AM, TheOrlionThatComesBefore said:

I will be starting The Obelisk Gate by N K Jemisin, the book that won the Hugo instead of Death's End.

How do you find Jemisin... I could never get into that series because that style of grammar\writing didn't work for me on audiobook

1 hour ago, Wax said:

How do you find Jemisin... I could never get into that series because that style of grammar\writing didn't work for me on audiobook

As I keep telling people lately, quit consuming all books in the audio format. It's a different medium and some books just will not translate into it.

*Heavy breathing, hyperventilate into a paper bag to calm down*

That said, I really liked Fifth Season. Since Jemisin is a trained psychologist, her characters tend to act way more realistically and the story is a fantastic, creative and insightful way to consider the themes.

I actually just finished my first N.K. Jemisin book, The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms.  At first it reminded me a lot of a Brandon book with the worldbuilding and the plot hook.  I couldn't put it down.  But then it sort of went downhill with weird romance stuff.  Still a good book overall and I will finish the trilogy, then read Broken Earth.  

19 hours ago, Briar King said:

I think The Great Hunt is my favorite but Shadows and Crown of Swords kinda tie for 2nd for me. Lots of people hate Crown.

Eye of the World and The Great Hunt are my least favorites (yes even worse than Crossroads of Twilight - the mere presence of Mat goes a long long way), but Dragon Reborn is easily the best in the series.

2 hours ago, Who Sharded? said:

I actually just finished my first N.K. Jemisin book, The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms.  At first it reminded me a lot of a Brandon book with the worldbuilding and the plot hook.  I couldn't put it down.  But then it sort of went downhill with weird romance stuff.  Still a good book overall and I will finish the trilogy, then read Broken Earth.  

I don't think I'll read any of her other currently published books, I have plenty of series that I need to finish! 

But I feel I'll be perfectly happy with the Broken Earth Trilogy. 

Edited by TheOrlionThatComesBefore

Just finished The Dark Talent. I'm just going to put all my thoughts in spoilers for those who haven't read the book yet.

Spoiler

I wasn't that shocked at Attica's death. He was an idiot and a fool for attempting to give everyone the Dark Talent itself.

I was surprised that Dif was Biblioden though.

I'm glad grandpa isn't dead (thanks Bastille!)

How much crazier could all that glass get at this point?

Loved that in the illustration of Shasta in the Tuki Tuki jail she's reading Mistborn. Same with Alcatraz referencing WOT in his death list.

Draulin sure is a lovely woman in the illustrations.

Hurry up already Bastille! We all need to see how this ends!

Now onto the Cosmere collection itself

I'm going to do my review of Arcanum Unbounded a little differently from the other books by giving my thoughts by system.

Selish System

I'm pretty curious about what the third great domain of Sel is. Maybe something that could be saved for another short story?

The Hope of Elantris

It was a sweet story, even more because of the postscript

The Emperor's Soul

Spoiler

How far can Forgery go? I mean Shai pretty much rebuilt the emperors soul as close as possible.

I loved Gaotona and how he found Shai's Forgery beautiful in the end.

I wonder if Shai comes back in the Elantris sequels if we'll see Zu or Weedfingers get back at her.

Currently on the Scadrian System

On 9/28/2018 at 6:57 AM, TheOrlionThatComesBefore said:

Read White Sand Vol 2! Now, no new Cosmere until maybe 2020! :lol::wacko::blink::unsure::(

When he had said he's doing the entire Skyward trilogy I realized we were in for a two year drought unless he pulls a miracle out of his hands.